Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1164 1165 [1166] 1167 1168 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1122636 times)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #17475 on: February 11, 2012, 10:33:05 pm »

I just reclaimed a fortress, and there's a bunch of wood/cloth everywhere.

I understand that I need to claim them, but is there a way to mass claim everything without individually clicking things to claim?

None of my dwarves are bringing the 4000 pieces of lumber from the top to the stockpiles...

You can also mass unforbid things just like you unforbid single items, just press enter then arrow to move the cursor around.  This might be useful if you only want them to claim things from areas you have rendered more or less safe or whatnot
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17476 on: February 12, 2012, 07:55:17 am »

I just reclaimed a fortress, and there's a bunch of wood/cloth everywhere.

I understand that I need to claim them, but is there a way to mass claim everything without individually clicking things to claim?

None of my dwarves are bringing the 4000 pieces of lumber from the top to the stockpiles...

You can also mass unforbid things just like you unforbid single items, just press enter then arrow to move the cursor around.  This might be useful if you only want them to claim things from areas you have rendered more or less safe or whatnot

(d) (b) (c)

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17477 on: February 12, 2012, 08:01:05 am »

Is above ground farming not possible if the embark has a volcano, or something? This place isn't ocean, and other than the volcano it's 100% temperate grasslands, yet farms say nope. What's up?

Zwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17478 on: February 12, 2012, 08:07:24 am »

I want to play without immigration, only seven Dwarfs survival in the wilderness. In the Wiki it says on getting no immigrants:

"A possible workaround is to edit the raw files so the the created wealth of your fortress is negative, which should scare away new migrants."

I've never fondled around with the raws, so can anybody help me and say where exactly I found this line and what I have to edit?

Edit: Of course I know about the population cap, but as we all know it doesn't work until you reach 30 or so.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 08:12:38 am by Zwerg »

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17479 on: February 12, 2012, 08:21:04 am »

I want to play without immigration, only seven Dwarfs survival in the wilderness. In the Wiki it says on getting no immigrants:

"A possible workaround is to edit the raw files so the the created wealth of your fortress is negative, which should scare away new migrants."

I've never fondled around with the raws, so can anybody help me and say where exactly I found this line and what I have to edit?

Edit: Of course I know about the population cap, but as we all know it doesn't work until you reach 30 or so.

I'm not sure where to find those particular raw files, but to my knowledge you'd still get the first two migrant waves, as they are hard-coded and will appear even if the dwarven civ is dead.

I've wanted to do things like this too, and the only way I can see of easily doing it, is setting your pop cap to 0 in the .ini file and killing off the two hard-coded waves.  :-\
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

SnK-Arcbound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17480 on: February 12, 2012, 08:52:23 am »

I have candy at an unusually high depth. The magma sea starts at about z-90, which I have candy all the way up on z-50. How safe do you think it is to dig down before having a significant chance of encountering clowns?

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17481 on: February 12, 2012, 09:00:16 am »

Ah I see, if you have no above-ground seeds, the game will tell you that a farm requires soil/mud when it has it.

Delightfully confusing.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17482 on: February 12, 2012, 09:57:17 am »

I have candy at an unusually high depth. The magma sea starts at about z-90, which I have candy all the way up on z-50. How safe do you think it is to dig down before having a significant chance of encountering clowns?

I had candy 10+ levels above magma. I dug down almost all of it, and had no clowns. If you want to be safe, just dig around the vein on multiple z-levels, and dig any candy that isn't 4x4 or bigger. Even if you do this, your bottleneck is still going to be processing it into waffers. I made like 300 candy items in two years with 5 craftdwarf's workshops.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Gullydwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17483 on: February 12, 2012, 10:35:07 am »

Ah I see, if you have no above-ground seeds, the game will tell you that a farm requires soil/mud when it has it.

Delightfully confusing.
Is above ground farming not possible if the embark has a volcano, or something? This place isn't ocean, and other than the volcano it's 100% temperate grasslands, yet farms say nope. What's up?

I was about to tell you this when I realized you found out by yourself. Chapeau!
Good luck with your volcano.

Do volcano's ever erupt in DF?
"Gullydwarf cancels play Dwarf Fortress. Interrupted by stray female."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17484 on: February 12, 2012, 11:03:09 am »

Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17485 on: February 12, 2012, 11:15:38 am »

Obsidian isn't in the stone restrictions menu or am I just blind?

If not is the only way to avoid using it to forbid it all?

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17486 on: February 12, 2012, 12:29:07 pm »

Obsidian isn't in the stone restrictions menu or am I just blind?

If not is the only way to avoid using it to forbid it all?

It's not in the stones screen since it has the tag [MAX_EDGE:20000]. Remove that and it should appear. You can max forbid them instead, d-b-f.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17487 on: February 12, 2012, 12:35:02 pm »

drivec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17488 on: February 12, 2012, 01:27:27 pm »

any tips for embarking a full size area everytime i try the game just crashes

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher