Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1163 1164 [1165] 1166 1167 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1122595 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #17460 on: February 11, 2012, 08:24:37 am »

Ya he was trainable. Nice it worked! I pastured him onto the kennel. Weird, it didn't work when he was unpastured and chilling in my dining room.

Anyways! How strong is he? Can he kill 10 goblins camping outside my fortress? :P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To say the least, yes. It can kill 10 goblins, just depending on the armor and their skill/numbers in the engagement. Luck is also a factor.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17461 on: February 11, 2012, 08:35:36 am »

Hm, except, I can't seem to move him. He doesn't cooperate about going to his pasture - he needs someone to shove him there. Which obviously I can't do given that there are goblins there.

Any other way to force him to go there?

Other question on health - Are the wounds on a dorfs health page a list of everything they've received in their life, or only wounds currently affecting them? I have a dorf with tons of white so I'm wondering if he's just a battle scarred veteran or a cripple.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 09:46:15 am by Yaotzin »

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17462 on: February 11, 2012, 10:32:07 am »

When selecting stuff to throw in a pit/pasture etc, is there any way to see their full names? I want to select only the thieves, or only the rest, but I can't see their professions.

Lockem Shoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17463 on: February 11, 2012, 11:10:12 am »

If I equip a shield to a wrestler, do they use their hands still if they don't use anything else?

I don't want to interefere with random wrestling methods that need both hands

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17464 on: February 11, 2012, 11:42:54 am »

Hm, except, I can't seem to move him. He doesn't cooperate about going to his pasture - he needs someone to shove him there. Which obviously I can't do given that there are goblins there.

Any other way to force him to go there?

Yes you can, the dwarf will run as soon as seeing the goblins, letting go of Roc, Roc will let out a happy screech and charge. You can disable animal hauling on any dwarf you don't want to risk.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17465 on: February 11, 2012, 12:42:22 pm »

What is the lightest stonecraft to sell to caravans? the value is unimportant, I just want to dispose of all the useless stoneXD
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

Bobbias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17466 on: February 11, 2012, 04:50:22 pm »

What is the lightest stonecraft to sell to caravans? the value is unimportant, I just want to dispose of all the useless stoneXD

Better idea: Make a billion rock crafts. Sells for even more, weighs less, and trains a craftdwarf. Just make a craftdwarf shop, create the "make rock craft" job and hit R, and leave it.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17467 on: February 11, 2012, 05:08:48 pm »

My Dorfs just dropped their work because they got scared from a goblin falling to his death over 14 z-levels, seeing him through 6 layers of solid rock.

uh, What? Any explanation?
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17468 on: February 11, 2012, 05:30:53 pm »

My Dorfs just dropped their work because they got scared from a goblin falling to his death over 14 z-levels, seeing him through 6 layers of solid rock.

uh, What? Any explanation?
Dwarves shouldn't be able to see through walls or floors. Could you describe the area between the goblin and dwarves?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17469 on: February 11, 2012, 06:05:37 pm »

Alright. The dodge trap is one of three ways into the fort. At the far end of the dodge trap, there are fortifications for marksdwarfs to stand for anything that avoids traps, to still make it dodge. There is also a staircase at that part that goes all the way down to clean things up. The only place where the rest of the fort is in any way connected to the pit is along the far end (for enemies) of that trapped area. Several goblins dodged and fell. While they were falling, workshop orders were canceled due to a goblin being seen... Through several layers of solid rock, it seems. The central staircase, where it comes up to the defence level, is NOT in view if the dodge trap, Unless a goblin would manage to get very close to the end, in which case a lever would have been pulled to drop the walkway from under him/her. An auxiliary staircase that might have been in view has actually never been used. The only thing that could have viewed the invaders over a distance less than 30 urists were people who were going to pick up some eggs.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17470 on: February 11, 2012, 06:29:18 pm »

Better idea: Make a billion rock crafts. Sells for even more, weighs less, and trains a craftdwarf. Just make a craftdwarf shop, create the "make rock craft" job and hit R, and leave it.

That's what I was referring to, I can either produce something specific like goblets, jugs etc, or generic rock crafts. Generic rock crafts are harder to isolate for trading by stockpiles, thats all.
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17471 on: February 11, 2012, 09:27:48 pm »

Every time I generate a world, it comes out about 60% aquifer, with the only place not having an aquifer being the middle of a mountain range or beingmade up of impassable cliffs.

Now, I'd like to be able to generate a world and, you know, have a choice about whether or not I have to deal with an aquifer.

So I look into the advanced world generation... Which parameter is it that changes the prevalence of aquifers - and what values work? I've played with advanced generation a few times and every time it simply ends up rejecting world after world and getting nowhere.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17472 on: February 11, 2012, 09:43:34 pm »

Every time I generate a world, it comes out about 60% aquifer, with the only place not having an aquifer being the middle of a mountain range or beingmade up of impassable cliffs.

Now, I'd like to be able to generate a world and, you know, have a choice about whether or not I have to deal with an aquifer.

So I look into the advanced world generation... Which parameter is it that changes the prevalence of aquifers - and what values work? I've played with advanced generation a few times and every time it simply ends up rejecting world after world and getting nowhere.
I'm not sure how to alter worldgen settings to lower aquifer levels, but you can go into raw->objects->inorganic_stone_layer and edit out the aquifer tag on one or more stone/soils to make them less prevalent.

Lockem Shoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17473 on: February 11, 2012, 09:46:09 pm »

I just reclaimed a fortress, and there's a bunch of wood/cloth everywhere.

I understand that I need to claim them, but is there a way to mass claim everything without individually clicking things to claim?

None of my dwarves are bringing the 4000 pieces of lumber from the top to the stockpiles...

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17474 on: February 11, 2012, 10:09:40 pm »

I just reclaimed a fortress, and there's a bunch of wood/cloth everywhere.

I understand that I need to claim them, but is there a way to mass claim everything without individually clicking things to claim?

None of my dwarves are bringing the 4000 pieces of lumber from the top to the stockpiles...
Go into stocks menu, scroll to logs (it should be near the top of the third page), unforbid.
kingubu cancels Efficiency: Taken by mood
Project Whalegun is a go. Load the whale cannon!
Pages: 1 ... 1163 1164 [1165] 1166 1167 ... 1178