Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1158 1159 [1160] 1161 1162 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1122790 times)

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #17385 on: February 09, 2012, 08:53:58 am »

Speaking of shells, why do I *always* get turtles when fishing? Can I mod it for some more variety or something?

Because your fisherdwarf is fishing in a biome where turtles are the only fishable creatures - presumably murky ponds in a swamp biome.  If you have a river or brook, you can set create an activity zone for fishing on it and then set the option to force zone-only fishing, and then you should get river/brook fish instead.
Sweet that worked, thanks. Real fish at last!

My entire bone/skull etc stockpile was filled with stupid shells :p

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17386 on: February 09, 2012, 09:05:21 am »

I assure you there are starving children in.... err, there have been many new players (and a few not so new, who did not embark upon an environment that hosted turtles) who really would have appreciated that problem!
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17387 on: February 09, 2012, 11:25:22 am »

Quote from: Yaotzin
) How can I find a cave spider, fast? I have no silk and he demands it :( I don't think I've ever seen a cave spider.

You'll rarely actually see them, because they're vermin.  Mostly you'll see the webs they left behind.  Try the caverns (all 3 layers).  If you see webs in one of them, you can issue a "collect webs" job from a loom (the game automatically issues these if you didn't turn that option off).

You may need to send the military to explore the cavern and reveal all of it, lest you get spammed by pathing failures for webs that the weavers want to collect (they have X-ray web vision) but which aren't pathable (they can only see un-revealed webs, not un-revealed cavern tiles).
In my experience the best way to find cave spider silk for early moods is to have a) a really good bookkeeper, and b) have some miners handy.

Step one is the part that requires the book-keeper. On the stocks menu Spider Webs are listed, with the thread. If your book-keeper has done his job you can hit tab, to switch from listing quantities to listing individual items. Then you select a web and hit z. Now you know where the Cave Spiders in your map live.

It is very very important you picked a cave spider and not a Giant Cave Spider, because cave spider are vermin, which means they teleport anywhere in their home biome. Now all you have to do is dig a room somewhere in that biome, Cave spiders will magically teleport to that room, and leave their webs. Add a spare loom, and a guy with web-gathering enabled, and you should have at least one silk thread gathered in a few weeks, which you can spin into silk cloth if that's what your moody dwarf needs.

There are a couple caveats. You may need to have opened up the caverns before the webs show up on the screen. And you have to be quite careful in how you dig your room, because if you create a way into your fortress you'll be constantly invaded by cavern-dwellers.

Nick

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17388 on: February 09, 2012, 11:41:21 am »

Once you've found a cavern, you can explore the rest from relative safety by channeling through the roof at the edge of your explored area. Then just floor off the hole.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17389 on: February 09, 2012, 04:48:24 pm »

How does the max pop in the init work? Does it just stop immigrants at the set point, or does it stop all births too? I'd like to be able to stop immigrants relatively early, but maintain pregnancies.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17390 on: February 09, 2012, 05:13:06 pm »

What's the difference between the Core Quality and Total Quality categories in the stockpile menu?

Items themselves have quality levels, but so too do decoration levels.  And when you're working with clothing, you have both the quality of the woven cloth and the quality of the tailored clothing.

Core quality is the item itself - an 'exceptional mace' is core quality exceptional, end of story.

That same mace could be decorated with masterful decorations, changing its total quality upwards.

Once you've found a cavern, you can explore the rest from relative safety by channeling through the roof at the edge of your explored area. Then just floor off the hole.

Or better yet, you can carve fortifications in the walls that let you look into unexplored areas.

to quote the wiki:  So if you have *«+steel battle axe+»*, you have a +steel battle axe+ with *decorations*

Yeah, I'm aware of these things.  I asked because I set up some stockpiles for trading that are set to Total Quality masterwork hoping to get either core masterwork items or items with masterwork decorations, but it appears the dwarves are only putting the core masterwork stuff in there and ignoring stuff that isn't masterwork but has masterwork decorations.

Or better yet, you can carve fortifications in the walls that let you look into unexplored areas.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 05:16:07 pm by orius »
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17391 on: February 09, 2012, 05:14:33 pm »

[double post]
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17392 on: February 09, 2012, 05:14:51 pm »

How does the max pop in the init work? Does it just stop immigrants at the set point, or does it stop all births too? I'd like to be able to stop immigrants relatively early, but maintain pregnancies.
It stops migrants from coming if the population is over the max population. It doesn't stop births, and a migrant wave can send it past the max.

Lockem Shoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17393 on: February 09, 2012, 06:47:46 pm »

Is there any way to encourage mating with all of the dwarves?

I understand that, with the LazyNewbPack, that you can change the ratio between children and adults, but is there some sort of ingredient that can create a baby boom?

The reason I'm asking this is because my dwarf army of 100 dwarves armed with wooden axes are slowly about to die of old age (I don't know the actual avg life span of a dwarf). I've been turning new migrants into recruits for a new generation, but I kind of want a new generation of new generation children.

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17394 on: February 09, 2012, 07:01:21 pm »

Bah, the mental image of your miners breaking through a ceiling, sticking their heads down for a quick look, then plugging the hole back up is much more amusing and dwarfy. Like a group tunneling around near the surface and occasionally popping up to get their bearings.
Plus it doesn't leave any holes your civies can get scared through, or FB gasses/dusts/ect... to accidentally penetrate.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #17395 on: February 09, 2012, 07:15:24 pm »

Give them free time and a very small meeting room.  They'll spend a lot of time in close proximity with each other and become friends, then hopefully lovers, then eventually married.  Once they're married you can put them back to work full-time, they'll pop out kids every year even if they never have a moment of free time.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17396 on: February 09, 2012, 07:20:10 pm »

Give them free time and a very small meeting room.  They'll spend a lot of time in close proximity with each other and become friends, then hopefully lovers, then eventually married.  Once they're married you can put them back to work full-time, they'll pop out kids every year even if they never have a moment of free time.

Or lock them in a 3x3 room together. Takes a while, but they become ecstatic lovers and eventually marry much quicker.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17397 on: February 09, 2012, 07:40:34 pm »

Bah, the mental image of your miners breaking through a ceiling, sticking their heads down for a quick look, then plugging the hole back up is much more amusing and dwarfy. Like a group tunneling around near the surface and occasionally popping up to get their bearings.

"Where are we, Bembul?"

"Urist, I don't know, but it's damp and it smells like elf piss!"

"I knew we should have taken that left turn at Albuquerque."
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 08:11:21 am by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Bobbias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17398 on: February 09, 2012, 09:21:08 pm »

So, a woodcutter got a Fey mood, grabbed a ton of stuff, and is demanding leather... I've got plenty of leather sitting in a stockpile and he's just sitting there like I have none.... What's going on here?

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17399 on: February 09, 2012, 09:37:29 pm »

Speaking of shells, why do I *always* get turtles when fishing? Can I mod it for some more variety or something?

Because your fisherdwarf is fishing in a biome where turtles are the only fishable creatures - presumably murky ponds in a swamp biome.  If you have a river or brook, you can set create an activity zone for fishing on it and then set the option to force zone-only fishing, and then you should get river/brook fish instead.
Sweet that worked, thanks. Real fish at last!

Decorate your crafts or items with shells.  If your metal industry is weak, make armor from shells, then decorate them with shells :)
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)
Pages: 1 ... 1158 1159 [1160] 1161 1162 ... 1178