Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1156 1157 [1158] 1159 1160 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1122822 times)

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #17355 on: February 08, 2012, 06:11:52 pm »

Do burrows 100% force only the selected dwarf/s to be able to touch anything inside them? eg if I make a metalsmith's forge and some gold bars in a burrow, assign 1 blacksmith, then order up 5 metal blocks, I *will* get gold blocks?

IOW, do burrows both force the selected dwarf to work ONLY in that burrow, and also force unselected dwarves to leave it alone?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 06:13:55 pm by Yaotzin »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17356 on: February 08, 2012, 06:20:58 pm »

I'm pretty sure other random dwarves can still use workshops inside a burrow and take crap out of it.  By waiting for said burrowed dwarf to enter the burrow, then by queuing up the jobs in that workshop, odds are good you'll get what you want.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17357 on: February 08, 2012, 06:21:58 pm »

Dwarves assigned to a burrow will ONLY take jobs that the boundaries of their burrow permit. Dwarves NOT assigned to a burrow will disregard them completely- If you have a burrow-less mason making blocks and the nearest rock stockpile is inside a burrow, he won't give a crap, he'll still grab the nearest rock.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17358 on: February 08, 2012, 06:24:30 pm »

Darn. Need a NOT burrow - only the selected dwarves are allowed entrance.

What's the best way to ensure one makes stuff from the desired materiel then? Just make sure it's the closest item?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #17359 on: February 08, 2012, 07:51:53 pm »

What's the best way to ensure one makes stuff from the desired materiel then? Just make sure it's the closest item?

This, closer means the one used, or set in the stone menu (if object is made out of stone/metal) by z>Stone... Know that preferences do not take over here unless it is a mood.

You could have specialized stockpiles (behind doors) that could be locked and unlocked at will, this will take space near your workshop but truly worth it when a mood pumps out an artifact Steel Longsword with Platinum bands...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #17360 on: February 08, 2012, 08:40:22 pm »

Keep in mind that z-levels are not taken into account when finding the closest object. This means that dwarves will be willing to walk a long distance to pick up the stone 1 z-level straight down front he workshop, even if there is other stone 3 tiles over but on the same level. This means that the best place to put workshops like this is actually directly above or below the workshop that you want to control, not beside it.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Bobbias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17361 on: February 08, 2012, 09:07:05 pm »

I cannot tell you how highly I recommend Dwarf Therapist

I am already using TheRapist, but I definitely agree that it is basically essential.

My problem is just that I've never had a fort get this many dwarfs and still be interested in playing, lol. This fort is kinda a learning experience in getting everything up and running, since I've played enough to be fairly familiar with the interface.

Also, should I be making work orders with the manager interface? How exactly does that work?

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17362 on: February 08, 2012, 09:52:24 pm »

Also, should I be making work orders with the manager interface? How exactly does that work?

If you want tons of an item, but only a specific number, the manager is a pretty handy thing to use (i.e. I need 300 blocks to finish this tower.)

Anyway, hit 'j' to bring up the jobs screen, then hit 'm' to bring up the new jobs queue. Press 'q' here and you'll bring up a screen where you can type in stuff to narrow down what you want to queue- blocks, for instance. So type in 'blocks' and use the arrow keys to select the material you want to make them from (rock, specific metals, glass, wood, etc.)

Once you have it highlighted hit Enter and you'll be prompted to enter a quantity. You can type in any two digit number, but if it's higher than 30 it'll just be truncated to 30.

Now that we've got an order queued up, we need a manager to verify it. If you don't have one, go to the 'n'obles screen and assign one- he'll need an office, but it doesn't have to be anything but a 1x2 rock chair and table. Assuming he's not doing anything else, he'll go to his office to verify the orders and jobs at the appropriate workshops will be queued- as far as I can tell they're distributed evenly in number to the proper workshops but I'm not certain, so don't take that as gospel. If you want more than 30 of a given item you'll have to do this multiple times.

Bobbias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17363 on: February 08, 2012, 09:59:01 pm »

That is really handy. My bookkeeper is currently my manager, but I've got my bookkeeper set to be 100% accurate, is that going to cause problems? I usually have to drop it down a level when a caravan arrives because he's ALSO my trader (lol)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #17364 on: February 09, 2012, 12:54:44 am »

It does evenly assign them among their respective workshops. And yes, you should use the manager. I find it great for setting up tasks all the time and is much easier to use then manually assigning the jobs in most cases. As for having your bookkeeper also be your manager/trader, once he has managed to put in enough time to reach 100% accuracy (usually a couple of years), then he (or any later bookkeepers) will never need to work as a bookkeeper again. You can sort of think of it as a new filing system; it takes a lot of work to set it up, but once you have it takes virtually (or in this case literally) no work to keep it running.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #17365 on: February 09, 2012, 03:18:23 am »

Bookkeepers quickly get skilled enough that they spend very little time bookkeeping.

I usually combine all my nobles into one guy, if I can help it. Brokers are usually busy sleeping or eating or drinking when the caravan's ready, no matter who you assign to be broker, but you can reduce this possibility by having your broker (or generic noble) never do any work. That way he's more likely to be ready for trading when the time comes.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Bobbias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17366 on: February 09, 2012, 03:26:50 am »

Already on that. He's the expedition leader and was a hunter, but I assigned him as my generic noble as soon as he ran out of his first set of bolts, and removed all work. He always seems to be updating his books despite being at maximum level unless I set it to the level below maximum, then he seems to realize he is indeed required somewhere...

Also, if you swap out the bookkeeper for someone else, do the bookkeeping records get reset?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17367 on: February 09, 2012, 05:54:13 am »

If I assign a bedroom to one partner in a marriage, do both partners use the room?
*Hugs*

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #17368 on: February 09, 2012, 05:56:28 am »

If I assign a bedroom to one partner in a marriage, do both partners use the room?
Yep, they share the bed, just like in reality.

EDIT:

Also, if you swap out the bookkeeper for someone else, do the bookkeeping records get reset?

The records are set in stone, what is predicted will be, what is noted is true.

In other words, no reset. Permanent, the new keeper will continue updating unless everything is already updated (achievable in the early game, where there is little to account for and putting the setting to account for everything.)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 06:17:36 am by Tiruin »

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17369 on: February 09, 2012, 05:59:20 am »

Sweet, thankee for the info.
*Hugs*
Pages: 1 ... 1156 1157 [1158] 1159 1160 ... 1178