Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1155 1156 [1157] 1158 1159 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1122839 times)

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #17340 on: February 08, 2012, 12:57:41 pm »

Hello!  A question, if I may.

I haven't played DF or posted here in about 2 years.

I was reading through Toady's changelog, but was wondering if there was a more compact list of changes rather than read through 2 years of news posts?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #17341 on: February 08, 2012, 01:04:01 pm »

Open up your DF folder and read the "file changes.txt" file, starting with the bottommost post that you haven't heard of before. That will give you just the exact changes, without all of the extra fluff and news. Also you have good timing for coming back, since we should be getting another updated version by the end of the month hopefully which will put you on the same level as a lot of DF players.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17342 on: February 08, 2012, 01:08:26 pm »

Also, this is my first time getting to 70+ dwarfs in a fort and I'm a bit overwhelmed with trying to designate labors. ...

I'm kinda lost as to where I should have my guys allocated.

... so how do I manage this many people?

I cannot tell you how highly I recommend Dwarf Therapist, found here - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=66525.0

After you download that, start your DF game, then start DT.  Upper left corner, connect to DF, then read dwarves.

The utility will then pretty much introduce you to each dwarf in your fortress, in a spreadsheet like fashion.  You can see their skill levels and which labors are turned on, and you can quickly change that with a click.

Wait, you might say, there's a lot of labors and a lot of dwarves, so that's still to many clicks!  You'd be right, so decide what 'common' patterns' of labors you might want to play around with and make one dwarf have that pattern of jobs, then right click on that dwarf's name and designate a job title based on them.  This allows you to highlight any or all of your dwarves and set them to that pattern with a click, then if you wish rehighlight them and reset them to their previous job title, without changing their duties again.

Commit pending changes to make these things become set into your game, or clear pending changes to start over if you need.  Continue to use read dwarves to see how their skills are changing over time, and make any large or small changes to the labor designations quickly and easily as you see fit.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17343 on: February 08, 2012, 01:15:37 pm »

Is there no way to make a hunter carry more than 5x5 bone arrows? It's doing my head in watching my hunter knock an elephant out then run out of ammunition trying to kill it.
If you go to the ammunition screen in the military menu, you can change how many bolts are assigned to each of your hunters for them to carry around.
I know, default is 100 and I put it to 500. Didn't do anything. I suppose he's limited by space in his quiver or something. Is there nothing that can be done?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17344 on: February 08, 2012, 01:20:11 pm »

I cannot tell you how highly I recommend Dwarf Therapist, found here - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=66525.0
Get Dwarf Therapist is you have problems with dwarves, seriously, it makes the game so much more fun. Also a mac version of it is available here.

Is there no way to make a hunter carry more than 5x5 bone arrows? It's doing my head in watching my hunter knock an elephant out then run out of ammunition trying to kill it.
If you go to the ammunition screen in the military menu, you can change how many bolts are assigned to each of your hunters for them to carry around.
I know, default is 100 and I put it to 500. Didn't do anything. I suppose he's limited by space in his quiver or something. Is there nothing that can be done?
If that's the problem then I don't know of anything off the top of my head that could help. You could always have a military "hunting" squad that travels  around and finishes off any partial kills by your hunters.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

muxecoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17345 on: February 08, 2012, 03:42:55 pm »

I have a live rat sitting in a trap (artifact animal trap, huh!) What should I do with it?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17346 on: February 08, 2012, 03:58:56 pm »

I have a live rat sitting in a trap (artifact animal trap, huh!) What should I do with it?
You can tame it at a kennel. If any of your dwarvel likes rats, they can take it as a pet.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17347 on: February 08, 2012, 04:00:15 pm »

It can be placed in a built cage, which will empty that trap and allow it to be used again.

Cages containing vermin can be hauled to the depot and sold - a few hundred rats have some decent value (you usually catch that many not through built animal traps, but through an active dwarf hunting them - catch live land animal in butcher shop)

These cages can also be built and triggered through a lever to release, perhaps entertaining a catsplosion for a few seconds.

Through the kennel, you can start a job to tame a small land animal, which will result in a tame rat, which can be set through your z animal screen to be adoptable.

Supposedly hungry dwarves will occasionally go eat caged or trapped vermin, especially if there is no other food - though I've never seen this happen in DF2010

For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Tumsh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17348 on: February 08, 2012, 05:02:15 pm »

I've got a little question.

My dwarfs can't make rock nut oil. I have a screw press, and nearby I have 2 stockpiles. One for zinc flasks and one for rock nut paste. They both contain items, but when I select the screw press, the option to press liquid from paste is red.

Any ideas?

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17349 on: February 08, 2012, 05:19:14 pm »

Invaders always love to sit only a little bit inside my hall of traps - what tells them to stop walking through traps, so that I may undermine it?

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17350 on: February 08, 2012, 05:20:43 pm »

Invaders always love to sit only a little bit inside my hall of traps - what tells them to stop walking through traps, so that I may undermine it?

If their leader dies or caged, they'll hang around there until they see something else to kill.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17351 on: February 08, 2012, 05:33:13 pm »

My dwarfs can't make rock nut oil. I have a screw press, and nearby I have 2 stockpiles. One for zinc flasks and one for rock nut paste. They both contain items, but when I select the screw press, the option to press liquid from paste is red.

Any ideas?

Zinc flasks or jugs?  I think you need jugs.

Also, try it from the manager, that clears these issues up sometimes.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17352 on: February 08, 2012, 05:35:22 pm »

If their leader dies or caged, they'll hang around there until they see something else to kill.
Does every squad have a leader then, even if they're just called "Goblin Hammerman" or somesuch? And do they usually lead the charge, thereby resulting in this behaviour?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17353 on: February 08, 2012, 05:47:39 pm »

Yes every squad has a leader. You can tell which one it is fairly easily in most cases because they will be different from the rest of the squad that they are leading.

Tumsh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17354 on: February 08, 2012, 05:51:12 pm »

Any ideas?

Zinc flasks or jugs?  I think you need jugs.

Also, try it from the manager, that clears these issues up sometimes.

Hmm... big whoopsie from me there I think. Pots, jugs, flasks, I got confused.

Thanks!
Pages: 1 ... 1155 1156 [1157] 1158 1159 ... 1178