Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1150 1151 [1152] 1153 1154 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1122943 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #17265 on: February 06, 2012, 08:46:17 am »

using the + and the - keys do nothing. Im using LNP and have set exotic to off so that I can tame exotic animals. I have a badger locked in a cage, does it need to be removed as a building in order for me to tame it?

If you have modded exotic pets to be normal pets, then it should be possible to tame badgers.  I assume that this is what LNP did.

Where did you get the badger?  If you captured it from the wild, then you should be able to tame it while it's in the cage.  It should not matter if the cage is in a stockpile or built as a building.  The animal tamer will go to the cage to tame it.

If you bought the badger from a caravan, it's already tame and you don't need to tame it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17266 on: February 06, 2012, 09:43:09 am »

Is it possible to force a food storage stockpile to use pots instead of barrels (so I can use them for syrup)?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17267 on: February 06, 2012, 10:07:30 am »

Would dwares react stupidly if I place my farmer's workshop outside of the pasture and try to milk the animals inside?
What'd happen if I try to milk and the only milked animals are roped animals?
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

T-Mick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17268 on: February 06, 2012, 10:20:30 am »

What's the easiest way to power a 23-layer pump stack, without using a water reactor?
“Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine,
There’s always laughter and good red wine.
At least I’ve always found it so.
Benedicamus Domino!” -Hilaire Belloc

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17269 on: February 06, 2012, 10:28:10 am »

windmills. About 6-23 of them, depending on your luck.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

SauliusTheBlack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17270 on: February 06, 2012, 10:28:23 am »

use 23 spare dwarves?
They died for their fellow Dwarves. They will be remembered, at least until your Dwarves see a particularly nice statue.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17271 on: February 06, 2012, 11:27:49 am »

What's the easiest way to power a 23-layer pump stack, without using a water reactor?

Stacked water wheels on a brook.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17272 on: February 06, 2012, 01:02:03 pm »

Would dwares react stupidly if I place my farmer's workshop outside of the pasture and try to milk the animals inside?
What'd happen if I try to milk and the only milked animals are roped animals?
1. Nope, they take the animals out of the pasture and put them back when done.
2. I suspect what would happen is that they'd be unhooked from the rope and milked as normal, but whether they'd be reattached afterward is anyone's guess. Experiment!
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

Lockem Shoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17273 on: February 06, 2012, 01:34:08 pm »

1) If I let goblins fall into a pit and somehow get them trapped there, would they starve/die of thirst eventually? Or would the fall kill them or would they somehow get out?

2) Do channels get trolls too or are they too big?

3) Do cage traps work on trolls?

4) Is there any way to influence the reproduction of my legion of rabbits? I have at least 100 but I need them to be reproducing faster than how they're butchered for food. Since my last fortress fell apart due to flawed traps, I'm not going to be doing this rabbit thing until I understand there mating ways

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #17274 on: February 06, 2012, 01:41:07 pm »

1) If I let goblins fall into a pit and somehow get them trapped there, would they starve/die of thirst eventually? Or would the fall kill them or would they somehow get out?

2) Do channels get trolls too or are they too big?

3) Do cage traps work on trolls?

4) Is there any way to influence the reproduction of my legion of rabbits? I have at least 100 but I need them to be reproducing faster than how they're butchered for food. Since my last fortress fell apart due to flawed traps, I'm not going to be doing this rabbit thing until I understand there mating ways
1) Nope, goblins don't need to eat or drink. In fact most invaders function like this, regardless of whether or not they normally need to. If the fall is large, 3-7 z-levels, then they will probably be wounded, if it's 8-9 they will probably be severely wounded and some will die, and if its 10 or up pretty much everything dies.

2) Channels work on everything except creatures that can fly. It's part of the whole "fit an infinite amount of dragons into a single tile as long as all but one of them are laying down" thing.

3) Cage traps work on just about everything except for Forgotten Beasts, Titans, HFS, and kobolds.

4) Butcher all but 2 of your males and then let the females live for the first few generations. 2 males and 98 females will produce several times more offspring then 50 males and 50 females. (I keep 2 males in case 1 dies of old age or other causes I know not to butcher all of the males from the next generation) Also make sure to let your rabbits grow up before you butcher them so they produce more meat.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17275 on: February 06, 2012, 01:45:35 pm »

If I make an artificial pond (designating a pond and filling it up) would my fisherdwarfs be able to fish out of it? Or would it just spam announcement saying nothing is caught?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #17276 on: February 06, 2012, 02:10:17 pm »

What a dwarf catches when fishing is determined by the biome he is standing in when he fishes.  If the dwarf is standing on or near a river or brook, he will catch fish from the river or brook population pool.  If the dwarf is standing by an artificial pond when he fishes, he will catch fish from whatever land biome the pond is built in.  This will apply even if the pond is connected directly to the river.  Usually, fishing from an artificial pond will yield no fish, although some land biomes have turtles so you might get a few of those.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Lockem Shoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17277 on: February 06, 2012, 02:14:17 pm »

Are there any other programs that are like Dwarf Therapist? Where it makes it easier to manage names/other dwarves?

Or is this considered cheating somehow? If so, I guess I have to stop using Therapist

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17278 on: February 06, 2012, 02:37:02 pm »

Or is this considered cheating somehow?
Single-player game. What counts as cheating is up to you and you alone.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

smips63

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17279 on: February 06, 2012, 03:17:20 pm »

Back at DF after a few months of not touching it.

1. Militia have always perplexed me... So I set three squads up and have them training in my barracks. I'm having them go weaponless to build wrestling because I remember reading somewhere that that's usually a good idea. Now, they've been training for at least 3 seasons(maybe a whole year), they're becoming quite unhappy, and their wrestling skill has barely moved. Is there something I'm doing wrong here? Should I just get them some armor and wooden weapons and scratch the whole wrestling step?

2. Another thing that has always messed me up as well. I do quite well at keeping all my dwarves occupied up until migrant wave 5 or 6. Once I get 50 or so dwarves, I don't know what the hell to do with them all. Is the typical application here just to ramp up all your processes, build your military, and have !fun! with a few of the peasants?

3. Is it worthwhile to have multiple stonecrafters going at once? I usually just set one on repeat and sell whatever he makes to the caravans. This alone will usually give me enough trade goods to buy whatever I want from the caravans. Am I missing anything, or is it just a "look at all my pretty trinkets!" kind of thing after that? Not that it would be a problem, my dorfs love their mudstone rings :P

I probably have a thousand other questions, but that's all I have on my mind right now  ;)
Pages: 1 ... 1150 1151 [1152] 1153 1154 ... 1178