Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1149 1150 [1151] 1152 1153 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1122940 times)

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #17250 on: February 05, 2012, 07:25:06 pm »

I haven't asked a question in a while, but here goes:

I was digging out an aqueduct from an aquifer to pass water into my fortress built in a neighbouring glacier.

Trouble is, the water froze solid as soon as it touched ice. it passed one block of ice fine, but as as soon as it hit two ice walls it froze solid. (No, it wasn't exposed to the air)

How can I stop this from occurring? If I smooth the walls will it be okay - or will I have to build walls and a floor?
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17251 on: February 05, 2012, 08:20:20 pm »

Honestly, I didn't know that could happen.

I figure magma couldn't hurt (much).

Goldmoon627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17252 on: February 05, 2012, 08:40:42 pm »

Is it possible to fix the bug that stops the good/evil plants and trees from appearing, and if so how do i do it?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 08:49:23 pm by Goldmoon627 »
Would be cool if one could order amputations to fight infections.

UristMcComsense: But... But.. It's the head wound that's infected!
UristMcMaddoc: Worth a try.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17253 on: February 05, 2012, 08:47:27 pm »

No, I don't think so.

I have seen evil grass appear occasionally though.

cameron1124

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17254 on: February 05, 2012, 10:32:31 pm »

how do you tame animals? whenever I try the tame animal option for my kennel, it goes to a cursor that I assume tames an animal within the area of the kennel, the problem is that it seems impossible ot get an area in the kennel without it trying to kill my citizens. For instance, I want to tame a badger that is in a cage. I place the cage right next the kennel. Whenever I try to tame the badger I can only assign it to or from the cage.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17255 on: February 05, 2012, 10:35:59 pm »

You tame animals while they are in the cage IIRC, just wait and then release it after it is trained.
Memento Mori

cameron1124

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17256 on: February 05, 2012, 10:39:14 pm »

I kinda mentioned in my post that I CANT tame an animal in a cage.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17257 on: February 05, 2012, 10:47:27 pm »

how do you tame animals? whenever I try the tame animal option for my kennel, it goes to a cursor that I assume tames an animal within the area of the kennel, the problem is that it seems impossible ot get an area in the kennel without it trying to kill my citizens. For instance, I want to tame a badger that is in a cage. I place the cage right next the kennel. Whenever I try to tame the badger I can only assign it to or from the cage.

You select the kennel, then you choose "tame a large animal". From there, you use the + and - keys to select said animal. The animal is tamed WHILE IT'S IN THE CAGE, I'm pretty sure.

cameron1124

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17258 on: February 05, 2012, 11:06:25 pm »

using the + and the - keys do nothing. Im using LNP and have set exotic to off so that I can tame exotic animals. I have a badger locked in a cage, does it need to be removed as a building in order for me to tame it?

edit: removing the cage as a building only put the badger in another cage. are badgers untameable?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 11:15:08 pm by cameron1124 »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17259 on: February 05, 2012, 11:12:31 pm »

Oh, you have it as a building? Yes, you shouldn't have it as a building, it should be just lying in a stockpile somewhere.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17260 on: February 05, 2012, 11:24:05 pm »

edit: removing the cage as a building only put the badger in another cage. are badgers untameable?

Badgers are untamable without a dwarf in the role of "Dungeon Master".  Many, many animals are untameable without a dwarf in that role on the map.

Currently the DM does not come, and cannot be appointed by you.

Some mods fix this by allowing you to appoint one.  Some players change the raws of the animal species they want to be able to tame without a DM in order to fix this.

When you have a caged wild animal that -can- be tamed without a DM, it is easy to tame it without any special effort, just use the kennel to tame a large animal - you will then get to see a list of everything that can be tamed.  If you cant see a list, none of your wild beasts can be tamed.

using the + and the - keys do nothing. Im using LNP and have set exotic to off so that I can tame exotic animals.

This suggests that 'something is wrong', because badgers are normally pet_exotic.  Diagnosing 'what is wrong' is beyond my skillz though!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 11:27:36 pm by Imp »
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17261 on: February 06, 2012, 12:02:50 am »

Is there any way to manually operate (ie, no power source, just an operator) a magma pump without instant death?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17262 on: February 06, 2012, 01:50:16 am »

As long as there's a way to reach the pump without stepping in magma, yes.  I've done this before.  Or did I just get lucky?

Of course, make sure magma won't seep out of the exit back onto anything nearby that's not magma proof (such as dwarves).
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17263 on: February 06, 2012, 06:39:43 am »

Lost a miner already  :-X

I guess the mine and run method doesn't work in magma!

two ways to possibly prevent loss of a good miner.

1) use an engraver and create a fortification, rather then mining through the wall.

2) dig a trench in front of the punch through spot, and bridge across the trench to give your dwarf a spot to work from.  Even a 1 tile wide trench will help a lot.

In both cases you should make sure the dwarf in question has something to do so they don't loiter.
1) Does magma take longer to go through a fortification than onto an empty tile? Otherwise what's the difference?

2) Does magma/water drop down from a bridge tile? Otherwise I don't understand what this means.

I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be a "working safely with magma" article on the wiki.

I never quite realised how few rocks are actually magma safe...

Oh BTW, is magma actually infinite? I ask because after breaking a few rocks the lava stopped being 7/7 everywhere and didn't seem to come back either.

Magma CAN be infinite, but it can also be in pools.  It's normally in pipes in my experience, but if you fiddle with world gen, there might be a way to create more pockets.

I carve fortifications for both water and lava channels for three reasons:

1) Fortifications keep building destroyers out.  Yes, they will swim through water or lava to get at your destructable floodgates & whatnot if they can survive in water/lava.

2) Seems to me that it does slow down the flow.  I may be mistaken, but I do not believe so.

3) Anyone can be an engraver - you don't have to risk a miner, or a mining pick.

As for the channel and bridge thing.  Here's what I mean:

Code: [Select]
LRRRRR
LRCCZRRR
LFB..........
LRCCZRRR
LRRRRR

L = Lava
R = Rock Wall
F = Fortification cut in wall
B = Bridge
C = Channel cut in floor
Z = stairs up from channel level in case dwarf dodges, falls in, and recovers
. = Floor

What happens here is that the lava will start spilling onto the bridge, but then has to spread left, right, and down to fill the area channeled.

I have heard of people simply using floor bars, rather than bridges.  I have never tried that, but if you have a metal industry, or get bars in trade that you don't mind using, you could try that.  Magma would fall straight through bars, and I'm pretty sure dwarves can walk on them.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 06:42:29 am by Farmerbob »
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17264 on: February 06, 2012, 07:58:21 am »

I remember again now that I dug a channel or two right behind the place where the magma would come from, smooth the stone and then send Urist McCheesemaker to carve the fortifications. Since it first had to fill the channel, this usually meant Urist got off save or with only a minor burn (lower lip)
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 ... 1149 1150 [1151] 1152 1153 ... 1178