Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1148 1149 [1150] 1151 1152 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1122977 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #17235 on: February 04, 2012, 02:25:51 pm »

Magma that is connected to the bottom of the map is infinite if you have a magma layer enabled there. I breached unpressurized magma before and it seeped in slow enough that the miners could always easily outrun itchannel creates an up ramp, basically allowing the magma to flow through without your miner being in any danger
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17236 on: February 04, 2012, 04:50:59 pm »

How does having multiple garbage dump zones work? If each activity zone is in the end of a corridor, behind doors, do the dwarves take the hint and dump stuff in the closest available garbage zone if I lock the door leading to one, or they just start bitching, AKA Urist McIdiot cancels Dump Item: drop-off inaccessible, despite another garbage dump zone being available further on?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17237 on: February 04, 2012, 08:18:02 pm »

I strongly suspect they pick the nearest one, but I haven't actually tested it.

And a question from me: Can catapults shoot through fortifications?  I've got some FBs walled off in the caverns, and I thought it would be amusing to take pot shots at them.  Catapults are actually terrible at killing them, right?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #17238 on: February 04, 2012, 10:29:44 pm »

Yes, catapults can shoot through fortifications.   And yes, catapults are nearly useless for killing anything.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #17239 on: February 04, 2012, 10:36:59 pm »

Ballistae, however, would be perfect for this situation.

Goldmoon627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17240 on: February 04, 2012, 10:53:54 pm »

Is it possible to mod the raws to allow stone and wood to be stored in bins or is that hard coded?
Would be cool if one could order amputations to fight infections.

UristMcComsense: But... But.. It's the head wound that's infected!
UristMcMaddoc: Worth a try.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #17241 on: February 04, 2012, 10:56:11 pm »

Stone objects and wooden objects can already be stored in bins.  What can't be stored in bins are boulders and logs.  That's hard-coded, nothing you can do about it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17242 on: February 04, 2012, 11:21:00 pm »

Is it possible to mod the raws to allow stone and wood to be stored in bins or is that hard coded?
Quantum storage
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Exploit#Quantum_stockpiles

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17243 on: February 05, 2012, 05:34:24 am »

And a question from me: Can catapults shoot through fortifications?  I've got some FBs walled off in the caverns, and I thought it would be amusing to take pot shots at them.  Catapults are actually terrible at killing them, right?

1. They pick the nearest one, also taking into account z lvls, so they'd pick the garbage dump 1 z lvl above them even if it takes them 500,000 days to get there and if there's a dump 2 z lvls in front of them.

2. Catapults are pretty useless...

Unless you build about 50 of them. They don't have friendly fire, so you can stack them.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17244 on: February 05, 2012, 05:56:23 am »

1. They pick the nearest one, also taking into account z lvls, so they'd pick the garbage dump 1 z lvl above them even if it takes them 500,000 days to get there and if there's a dump 2 z lvls in front of them.

Unless you build about 50 of them. They don't have friendly fire, so you can stack them.

There is some trick with setting lumps of coal on fire and shooting those, but that requires the siege operator to have fireproof gloves- fire imp skin or dragonskin.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #17245 on: February 05, 2012, 05:58:24 am »

There is some trick with setting lumps of coal on fire and shooting those, but that requires the siege operator to have fireproof gloves- fire imp skin or dragonskin.

Now take into account the material catapults are made of. Nether wood may then be the only wood used...

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17246 on: February 05, 2012, 03:43:11 pm »

I'm looking at the possibility of embarking in a colder biome, I'm aware of the "fun" involved, the question I have is. If I build a building on the surface, does it insulate the area inside to prevent damage to dwarves from cold weather? My understanding is that clothes only do so much to keep them warm.
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17247 on: February 05, 2012, 03:55:18 pm »

I haven't tested this, but I suspect that if a tile is marked as indoors it helps.  Having a ceiling over it seems to be the only thing necessary for this.  At least that's the case for building furniture.  I have no idea if workshops help.

Regardless, from my understanding, it has to be extremely cold for the temperature to really have any risk of harming a dwarf.  What exactly qualifies for this, I'm not sure, as I've never embarked on a glacier or the like.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17248 on: February 05, 2012, 04:18:50 pm »

thanks. I have another question regarding searching for embarks. i'm trying to look for a place that has sand, but its pretty hit and miss for me, since all I can see on the embark screen is Clay and soil. Is there any way to get the embark screen to list if a place has sand or not?
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #17249 on: February 05, 2012, 07:22:39 pm »

thanks. I have another question regarding searching for embarks. i'm trying to look for a place that has sand, but its pretty hit and miss for me, since all I can see on the embark screen is Clay and soil. Is there any way to get the embark screen to list if a place has sand or not?
Sadly not. The only way for sure to get sand is to embark in a sandy desert.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 1148 1149 [1150] 1151 1152 ... 1178