Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1147 1148 [1149] 1150 1151 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1122978 times)

Goldmoon627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #17220 on: February 03, 2012, 09:24:02 pm »

Is is possible to remove the floor of a z-level if the z-level below it is already mined out?
Would be cool if one could order amputations to fight infections.

UristMcComsense: But... But.. It's the head wound that's infected!
UristMcMaddoc: Worth a try.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17221 on: February 03, 2012, 09:30:29 pm »

Just channel from the above floor as normal.  It will make a hole instead of a ramp if there is no place underneath to put the ramp bottom.

Be careful you designate a little accessible chunk at a time though.  Dwarves are not smart, and if you designate a huge big area all at once you'll get areas that werent properly dug out and are now unaccessible at best, and inordinately deadly to everybody within 10 tiles of the hole caveins punching a hole straight through the entire fortress sucking dwarves into the hole at worst.  Because they will dig out the tiles in whatever order they feel like with no regard to common sense, survival, or gravity.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17222 on: February 03, 2012, 09:54:30 pm »

Hunt a few elephants, get 5000 prepared meals...eish.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 09:58:44 pm by Yaotzin »

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17223 on: February 04, 2012, 06:24:56 am »

Is it pretty simple to dig straight down to the magma right at the start? Just gotta dodge/wall up the caverns?

I want to make a very dwarfy city at the bottom of the world.

Oh and: If I have a stairway - say 5 levels for a cistern - how do I remove the stairs from the top without trapping dwarves down below?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 06:37:00 am by Yaotzin »

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17224 on: February 04, 2012, 10:21:25 am »

Is it pretty simple to dig straight down to the magma right at the start? Just gotta dodge/wall up the caverns?

I want to make a very dwarfy city at the bottom of the world.

Oh and: If I have a stairway - say 5 levels for a cistern - how do I remove the stairs from the top without trapping dwarves down below?

First question: Yes, yes it is. Just dig in an approximately 'down' direction and you'll hit magma sooner or later.

and to your second question:

The best way to remove stairs is with a Dwarven Bunker Buster - from a couple of Z-levels above the staircase in question, collapse a piece of natural stone. Staircases don't stop stone.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17225 on: February 04, 2012, 10:33:59 am »

The best way to remove stairs is with a Dwarven Bunker Buster - from a couple of Z-levels above the staircase in question, collapse a piece of natural stone. Staircases don't stop stone.
even carved starcases?
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17226 on: February 04, 2012, 10:42:01 am »

even carved starcases?

Okay, you know, my information in that regard might have been wrong. I could have sworn I read about it on the wiki, but now I can't find it.

Yeah, ignore my advice. Or test it.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17227 on: February 04, 2012, 11:09:48 am »

How do I wall my staircase in the caverns when it refuses to wall diagonals?

eta oh I needed to wall underneath first.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 11:15:33 am by Yaotzin »

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17228 on: February 04, 2012, 11:16:17 am »

wall diagonals section first, duh. The best one to wall last is the one at 3 o clock, after you have designated then suspended some walls to its right to force the worker to work from the left which's the safe side.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17229 on: February 04, 2012, 11:30:12 am »

wall diagonals section first, duh. The best one to wall last is the one at 3 o clock, after you have designated then suspended some walls to its right to force the worker to work from the left which's the safe side.
I meant on a staircase in air :> I forgot they need support eheh. I've also never walled in anything really so I had to look up about suspending them and such.

Warm rock! Time to find out how quickly magma kills me.

I thought there were 3 caverns? Did I just miss one?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 11:33:07 am by Yaotzin »

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17230 on: February 04, 2012, 12:24:57 pm »

Lost a miner already  :-X

I guess the mine and run method doesn't work in magma!

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #17231 on: February 04, 2012, 12:40:07 pm »

As soon as your miner starts digging out that final tile, pause the game and designate some other tiles to be dug out safely elsewhere, then unpause. If your miner has somewhere else to go, they are more likely to move out of harm's way.

I thought there were 3 caverns? Did I just miss one?
It's fairly common to dig straight down and miss them. Just keep searching.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17232 on: February 04, 2012, 01:02:28 pm »

two ways to possibly prevent loss of a good miner.

1) use an engraver and create a fortification, rather then mining through the wall.

2) dig a trench in front of the punch through spot, and bridge across the trench to give your dwarf a spot to work from.  Even a 1 tile wide trench will help a lot.

In both cases you should make sure the dwarf in question has something to do so they don't loiter.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17233 on: February 04, 2012, 01:08:00 pm »

Pretty simple, yeah. The hardest part is that sometimes you miss the magma sea, and manage to tunnel straight down to SMR.

Then you have to figure out how to find and access the magma without accidentally incinerating your legendary miners.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17234 on: February 04, 2012, 01:51:12 pm »

two ways to possibly prevent loss of a good miner.

1) use an engraver and create a fortification, rather then mining through the wall.

2) dig a trench in front of the punch through spot, and bridge across the trench to give your dwarf a spot to work from.  Even a 1 tile wide trench will help a lot.

In both cases you should make sure the dwarf in question has something to do so they don't loiter.
1) Does magma take longer to go through a fortification than onto an empty tile? Otherwise what's the difference?

2) Does magma/water drop down from a bridge tile? Otherwise I don't understand what this means.

I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be a "working safely with magma" article on the wiki.

I never quite realised how few rocks are actually magma safe...

Oh BTW, is magma actually infinite? I ask because after breaking a few rocks the lava stopped being 7/7 everywhere and didn't seem to come back either.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 02:01:22 pm by Yaotzin »
Pages: 1 ... 1147 1148 [1149] 1150 1151 ... 1178