Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1144 1145 [1146] 1147 1148 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123081 times)

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #17175 on: February 01, 2012, 02:10:21 pm »

Is there any use at all for artifact crafts? Other than making me scared that goblins are going to kill me, that is.
Nope.  Artifacts that aren't directly useful are only good for getting you legendary craftsdwarves.  Unless it happens to be a possession, then you get absolutely nothing out of it.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17176 on: February 01, 2012, 03:14:17 pm »

Is there a safe way to breach a river or whatever? I know how to block it with levers/floodgates and whatnot, but not how to begin it. At the moment I'm just digging right into the river then running like hell.
I usually channel the last tile from above.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17177 on: February 01, 2012, 05:02:34 pm »

dwarf (unarmed and unarmored) escaped a goblin ambush with only minor injuries by !! breaking the toes of anyone following him !!

However, a goblin did the same to him. He walked a good while but then passed out on a cage trap. How to get him out?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17178 on: February 01, 2012, 05:27:12 pm »

What does an x on either side of an item (clothing if it matters) mean?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17179 on: February 01, 2012, 05:47:20 pm »

What does an x on either side of an item (clothing if it matters) mean?

item is damaged/worn

xitemx
XitemX
xXitemXx
XXitemXX
item has disintegrated
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17180 on: February 01, 2012, 06:00:49 pm »

Oh right. So when a civilian's clothes are going, there's not a damn thing I can do about it right?

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17181 on: February 01, 2012, 06:30:02 pm »

dwarf (unarmed and unarmored) escaped a goblin ambush with only minor injuries by !! breaking the toes of anyone following him !!

However, a goblin did the same to him. He walked a good while but then passed out on a cage trap. How to get him out?

Build the cage (b-j), then have an engineer build a lever somewhere so you can connect the cage and the lever.

Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Zaroua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17182 on: February 01, 2012, 07:04:54 pm »

Is there any use at all for artifact crafts? Other than making me scared that goblins are going to kill me, that is.

AFAIK building destroyers can't destroy artifacts so you could hold titans and forgotten beasts at bay with an artifact door/floodgate or whatever. I know I've had a flooding chamber below a cavern layer that was overrun with forgotten beasts and none of them ever went and destroyed my artifact floodgate + artifact mechanism combo. Might be luck, but the wiki says that at least doors and flood hatches won't be destroyed.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17183 on: February 01, 2012, 08:03:07 pm »

Oh right. So when a civilian's clothes are going, there's not a damn thing I can do about it right?

Yes and no.  In the current version, civilians won't pick up new clothes when theirs disintegrate.  However, you can put them in inactive military squads, define a civilian uniform of regular clothes and force them to wear it.  It's tedious and not really worth it in my opinion.

The only benefits are feeling happy knowing your dwarves aren't naked, and the ability to give every one of them a helmet or something to avoid thieves killing them too easily.  And shoes help against syndrome laiden blood.

All not worth the effort to me though.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17184 on: February 01, 2012, 08:44:34 pm »

Cool that helped.

Is there a safe way to breach a river or whatever? I know how to block it with levers/floodgates and whatnot, but not how to begin it. At the moment I'm just digging right into the river then running like hell.

Safest secure way to create access to a river that I've found.

1) Dig out the access to the river, except the last tile.
2) Build a stone wall near the end of the tunnel.
3) Cut fortifications in the stone wall, to allow water to pass
4) Place a floodgate next to the constructed fortifications (*edit* on the fortress side of the fortification)
5) Link the floodgate to a safe lever that you can later wall in.
6) Test the floodgate, then seal it.
7) Send dwarf out to the river's edge, channel out the last tile between the river and the tunnel.

When you are sure you are ready to allow water into your fortress, open the floodgate.

You could also build a pressure plate in a pond fed by the river, link the plate to the floodgate, and set it so that it would open the floodgate whenever the water gets low, I suppose.  Never tried that.  If you do, I'd suggest constructed fortifications around the lever, to keep crazy dwarves out.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 10:01:30 pm by Farmerbob »
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17185 on: February 01, 2012, 10:49:35 pm »

One of my cage traps recently caught a grimeling.

1. What's a grimeling, and will it be interesting in my arena?

2. Why is the grimeling missing all its body fat?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17186 on: February 01, 2012, 11:57:29 pm »

Another set of noobish questions from me:

I've got oodles of vermin remains in my refuse stockpiles.  I see that there's an option to not collect vermin remains, and I'm pretty sure it's set to not collect the remains, but my stockpiles seem to keep filling up.

Anyway, how much do corpses like this affect FPS?  Should I try to destroy them?  I could atom smash them, but can I just dump them in magma instead?  I've never used a magma garbage disposal, do I have to dump into semi molten rock, or will regular magma do the job?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17187 on: February 02, 2012, 12:03:49 am »

Another set of noobish questions from me:

I've got oodles of vermin remains in my refuse stockpiles.  I see that there's an option to not collect vermin remains, and I'm pretty sure it's set to not collect the remains, but my stockpiles seem to keep filling up.

Anyway, how much do corpses like this affect FPS?  Should I try to destroy them?  I could atom smash them, but can I just dump them in magma instead?  I've never used a magma garbage disposal, do I have to dump into semi molten rock, or will regular magma do the job?
I always have trouble with trying to get stuff to stay off my refuse stockpiles. Not really sure how to make them do what I want, so I just leave them at the default settings and bear the vermin corpses.

They don't have too much effect (that I've noticed), so unless we're talking corpse piles in the hundreds it shouldn't be a problem.
Magma should take care of them, SMR or no.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17188 on: February 02, 2012, 12:50:41 am »

Yes and no.  In the current version, civilians won't pick up new clothes when theirs disintegrate.  However, you can put them in inactive military squads, define a civilian uniform of regular clothes and force them to wear it.  It's tedious and not really worth it in my opinion.

The only benefits are feeling happy knowing your dwarves aren't naked, and the ability to give every one of them a helmet or something to avoid thieves killing them too easily.  And shoes help against syndrome laiden blood.

All not worth the effort to me though.
I'm an OCD perfectionist. I don't care how much effort it takes, I want my civilians wearing a full set of clothes!

Are helmets and shoes/boots the most important protection in general?

And do military dwarves replace damage clothes? Only when they disintegrate?

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17189 on: February 02, 2012, 12:54:46 am »

It's possible to train attributes, right? Is it possible to make everyone super soldiers, or just help them out a little. ie are their base stats still very important?

eta: Is there any way to force my hospital to only use my junky rope reed/pig tail thread and such? Or should I just strongly encourage them with stockpiles of it right there.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 01:03:52 am by Yaotzin »
Pages: 1 ... 1144 1145 [1146] 1147 1148 ... 1178