Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1143 1144 [1145] 1146 1147 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123086 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #17160 on: February 01, 2012, 07:54:32 am »

Pets just make dwarfs happier, right? Is the "pet value" thing in the wiki how much happier that pet makes them?

If I got a dragon for a pet for all my dwarves, they would be over the moon?

they would mostly end up quite dead after a while. The dragon follows his owner. dragon spots goblins. dragon starts to build up fire breath. dwarf spots goblins, turns around to run and is greeted by dragon fire racing his way. Crispy dwarf
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17161 on: February 01, 2012, 07:59:38 am »

That sounds seriously fun actually :D

What would the most dangerous pet be that is more...discriminate, and how do I get it?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #17162 on: February 01, 2012, 08:05:28 am »

Typically, the more dangerous the animal, the harder it is to capture. Meaning, the more it is valued if tamed. These are almost always exotic pets. Exotic pets are sometimes brought by the Elven Caravan every spring.

In the current vanilla DF, without modding, you will not be able to tame any caught exotics in cage traps.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17163 on: February 01, 2012, 08:07:21 am »

Already edited all my raws in preparation :D

Do dragons and rocs and such things just randomly appear when you have tons of wealth/pop? I don't want to create a world that can't have them or something.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #17164 on: February 01, 2012, 08:24:03 am »

Check the Legends of said world, all titans/forgotten beasts/megabeasts will appear there.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17165 on: February 01, 2012, 08:34:44 am »

So am I looking for any dragons etc that haven't been killed? Can any of them visit me or does it depend where I embark?

I love how it lists every single little duck each dragon killed. Talk about detail!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17166 on: February 01, 2012, 09:40:54 am »

I'm pretty sure forgotten beasts can show up anywhere (I've read that anyway), but by my understanding above ground megabeasts only attack things that are relatively close by and / or at least connected by land somehow.  So if a dragon is on another continent, you'll never see it.

I'm not sure how far they'll migrate on land to wreak havoc on your fort though.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17167 on: February 01, 2012, 12:16:19 pm »

Is there a way to find all the cage traps you made? I made some randomly in the wilderness now I can't find them :D

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17168 on: February 01, 2012, 12:52:40 pm »

Is there a way to find all the cage traps you made? I made some randomly in the wilderness now I can't find them :D
If you have a bookkeeper whose done enough bookkeeping, you should be able to press [TAB] on the z-stocks screen to see every individual atem in a category, then [z]oom to it.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17169 on: February 01, 2012, 01:02:45 pm »

I have so many empty cages hanging about though :( This will take forever.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #17170 on: February 01, 2012, 01:21:06 pm »

On the levels other then your fortress you could hit "q" and if it says cage trap then you know that there is at least 1 cage trap on that level. Then you just have to look around for the flashing tile to indicate where it is.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17171 on: February 01, 2012, 01:32:09 pm »

hit 'R' to go to rooms. traps are somewhere at the bottom. Also, cages used in traps show up as blue in the expanded stocks menu
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17172 on: February 01, 2012, 01:49:20 pm »

Cool that helped.

Is there a safe way to breach a river or whatever? I know how to block it with levers/floodgates and whatnot, but not how to begin it. At the moment I'm just digging right into the river then running like hell.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #17173 on: February 01, 2012, 01:55:29 pm »

Cool that helped.

Is there a safe way to breach a river or whatever? I know how to block it with levers/floodgates and whatnot, but not how to begin it. At the moment I'm just digging right into the river then running like hell.
Usually this way works fine. I personally have never had any problems with it as long as I make sure that the stairs are accessible to get out of the new channel.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17174 on: February 01, 2012, 02:07:33 pm »

Is there any use at all for artifact crafts? Other than making me scared that goblins are going to kill me, that is.
Pages: 1 ... 1143 1144 [1145] 1146 1147 ... 1178