Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1140 1141 [1142] 1143 1144 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123152 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #17115 on: January 31, 2012, 09:46:47 am »

I have a stockpile with nothing allowed but lye (under food). The lye I brought with is at my wagon. The dwarves refuse to move it. Ideas?

Oh and my miner just got encased in ice. Whattheheck.

And if you have a second miner/pick you should be able to dig out the frozen tile to recover the miner's stuff.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17116 on: January 31, 2012, 10:01:42 am »

I have a stockpile with nothing allowed but lye (under food). The lye I brought with is at my wagon. The dwarves refuse to move it. Ideas?

Oh and my miner just got encased in ice. Whattheheck.

And if you have a second miner/pick you should be able to dig out the frozen tile to recover the miner's stuff.
Yeah I was able. I'm just pissed because I was clearing out a muddy pool of 3 squares, and a grand total of two 1/7 waters froze. One being my lvl 5 armor user miner :(:(:(

Frozen lye huh. Guess I'll order every barrel inside then. Or a garbage dump since that didn't work.

Where is gypsum powder in the stockpile lists??
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 10:05:00 am by Yaotzin »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17117 on: January 31, 2012, 11:09:25 am »

I believe gypsum powder just falls underneath the "bags and boxes" area of a furniture stockpile. IIRC it is a little bugged right now.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17118 on: January 31, 2012, 11:20:11 am »

Reminder to self: if there is any cold weather at all, build a cistern, don't think you can get ale up in time.

Gradually starting to realise why DF is considered so evil :p

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17119 on: January 31, 2012, 12:43:15 pm »

If I want to make a really big lake of water, say 20x20x20, I need to make everything "open space" right? What's the easiest process for doing that? Channel one level at a time?

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17120 on: January 31, 2012, 12:46:08 pm »

If I want to make a really big lake of water, say 20x20x20, I need to make everything "open space" right? What's the easiest process for doing that? Channel one level at a time?
Yeah, the simplest way is to just channel it all out.  Just make sure you have a staircase or something going back up lest your miners get stuck at the bottom.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17121 on: January 31, 2012, 12:47:49 pm »

When I am doing multiple levels of channeling then I have found the safest way to be one level at a time, yeah. As the poster above me said, just make sure that you have a way out of the area at the bottom so your dwarves can get out of the hole that they dug.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17122 on: January 31, 2012, 01:13:27 pm »

if I don't feel like channeling and waiting all the time, I mine it out, leaving an extra space at the top so I can collapse it all the way down. This needs less supervision but is likely to kill the one doing the collapse
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17123 on: January 31, 2012, 02:26:38 pm »

Is mass dumping the only way to stop my stoneworker types from using anything but marble/dolomite?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17124 on: January 31, 2012, 02:30:12 pm »

they use whatever is closest and not forbidden
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17125 on: January 31, 2012, 02:30:22 pm »

You could also go the the (z) screen/stones and set any stones that you wish them not to use to red. Then they will only use the green stones for building things in workshops.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17126 on: January 31, 2012, 02:30:48 pm »

Is mass dumping the only way to stop my stoneworker types from using anything but marble/dolomite?
You can use the [z]->stones menu to alter which stone can be used to make generic stuff and which can't.

Urist McEngineer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17127 on: January 31, 2012, 04:02:06 pm »

If there are items in a rough hewn stone room does that prevent smoothing it?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17128 on: January 31, 2012, 04:08:03 pm »

No, if dwarves can stand on the floor tile or next to the wall tile then they will engrave, even if it has objects or even walkable buildings (such as beds or chests) on top of it.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #17129 on: January 31, 2012, 04:08:08 pm »

No, the only thing that will block smoothing is a constructed building like a statue that blocks movement.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 1140 1141 [1142] 1143 1144 ... 1178