Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1139 1140 [1141] 1142 1143 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123145 times)

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #17100 on: January 31, 2012, 03:29:29 am »

nevermind, seems dwarfs refuse to replace already placed stuff on a stockpile with a bin of the same stuff. Stupid dwarfs!

Speaking of bins, are there any situations I can use something made of, say, rock instead? I'm trying to cut down on my wood/fuel usage.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 04:11:46 am by Yaotzin »

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17101 on: January 31, 2012, 03:37:03 am »

Another one :D

One of my dwarves who bravely conquered the goblin siege got his arm broken and cut up. It says he's lost the ability to grasp, and has motor nerve damage. He's now spamming me with cancelled jobs because he can't pick up his equipment. I'm pretty sure my doctor has treated him, he has sutures, dressing, and a cast on his arm. Still spamming me though.

Will time fix him, is he now a cripple forever, what?

arg I removed him from my military and he's still spamming me :( Should I murder him?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 03:39:06 am by Yaotzin »

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17102 on: January 31, 2012, 04:21:16 am »

Another one :D

One of my dwarves who bravely conquered the goblin siege got his arm broken and cut up. It says he's lost the ability to grasp, and has motor nerve damage. He's now spamming me with cancelled jobs because he can't pick up his equipment. I'm pretty sure my doctor has treated him, he has sutures, dressing, and a cast on his arm. Still spamming me though.

Will time fix him, is he now a cripple forever, what?

arg I removed him from my military and he's still spamming me :( Should I murder him?

IIRC, nerves don't heal at all. Most likely tou've got yourself a permanent cripple. Disabling all of his labors will reduce the spam somewhat, although there may still be the occasional "Cancels store owned item" message.

TL;DR: permanently useless --> candidate for "euthanasia".
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17103 on: January 31, 2012, 04:23:27 am »

He's been euthanised, but not by me :P

It seems the second siege was a wee bit stronger than the first. How the hell am I supposed to hold off 34 goblins?!?! Make 40 cages?

Oh well, at least I learned how alerts work, that'll stop half my civvies dying next time.

Is there a guide somewhere to optimally train your soldiers? My guys didn't seem to gain much benefit from training. Mostly sat around waiting for a lecture.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 04:25:00 am by Yaotzin »

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17104 on: January 31, 2012, 04:29:32 am »

How the hell am I supposed to hold off 34 goblins?!?! Make 40 cages?
Short version: Force multipliers. Look into fortifications, traps and drawbridges.
Long version: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Security_design

Hint: weapon traps don't (normally) require reloading, and 10 * serrated disc = ludicrous gibs! (usually)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 04:31:10 am by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17105 on: January 31, 2012, 04:31:32 am »

Thanks. I only had the quickstart guide's stone traps+cages for defence. Tempted to change the wiki to say all cages, stone traps didn't do squat.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17106 on: January 31, 2012, 04:36:35 am »

Probably been asked and answered a thousand times, but: is there a dwarffoolproof way to prevent a wall builder going all "Cask of Amontillado" on himself? Designating and suspending a wall in the soon-to-be-walled-off area seems to work in some cases, as well as setting the area to restricted, but there's still the odd dorf who just won't respect either of the above.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17107 on: January 31, 2012, 04:37:35 am »

Oh by the way, do clothes actually even protect dwarfs? Should I even be bothering to make 100 cloaks and all that?

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17108 on: January 31, 2012, 05:16:03 am »

Oh by the way, do clothes actually even protect dwarfs? Should I even be bothering to make 100 cloaks and all that?

Yes, clothes protect dwarfs, but very little. If you do make them (in an unmodded game) the clothes will degrade, killing your FPS.

Do wild creatures breed while inside cages?

Yag Alone

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumpy old fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #17109 on: January 31, 2012, 05:22:24 am »

Do wild creatures breed while inside cages?

They do not breed, but they can have babies if they were already pregnant when caged.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17110 on: January 31, 2012, 06:16:16 am »

I don't suppose there's any way to tell my dwarves exactly what to use when cooking?

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17111 on: January 31, 2012, 08:38:57 am »

I don't suppose there's any way to tell my dwarves exactly what to use when cooking?

Exactly? Not really. But you can allow or bar a given type of food (plump helmets, fisher berries, cat meat, etc.) from being cooked in the Kitchen submenu on the Z screen.

Yag Alone

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumpy old fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #17112 on: January 31, 2012, 08:54:55 am »

Exactly? Not really. But you can allow or bar a given type of food (plump helmets, fisher berries, cat meat, etc.) from being cooked in the Kitchen submenu on the Z screen.

Furthermore, dwarves are lazy bums. Cooks will take the closest ingredient they can find.
You can also use burrows to force the use of specific ingredients, but it will be a chore...

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17113 on: January 31, 2012, 09:14:49 am »

I have a stockpile with nothing allowed but lye (under food). The lye I brought with is at my wagon. The dwarves refuse to move it. Ideas?

Oh and my miner just got encased in ice. Whattheheck.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #17114 on: January 31, 2012, 09:44:54 am »

I have a stockpile with nothing allowed but lye (under food). The lye I brought with is at my wagon. The dwarves refuse to move it. Ideas?

Oh and my miner just got encased in ice. Whattheheck.

If it's that cold outside, the lye is probably frozen.  Dwarves won't store frozen lye (or frozen milk, for that matter) because it isn't a liquid anymore.  You'll have to get it underground somehow, at which point it will melt and then be stored.  Make a dump zone underground, enable gathering of refuse from outside, and dump the barrel of lye.  Once it's been dumped underground, reclaim it and it should be moved to the stockpile.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 1139 1140 [1141] 1142 1143 ... 1178