Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1133 1134 [1135] 1136 1137 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123302 times)

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #17010 on: January 29, 2012, 07:38:16 am »

I read about "building destroyers" though. So do they destroy everything that isn't under the b-C menu - that stuff is unkillable bar magma accidents etc?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17011 on: January 29, 2012, 07:52:26 am »

I read about "building destroyers" though. So do they destroy everything that isn't under the b-C menu - that stuff is unkillable bar magma accidents etc?

Nothing a spear through the heart wont solve. Or an axe through the neck. Or a warhammer through the skull. You get the idea.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17012 on: January 29, 2012, 07:55:43 am »

bridges and supports are usually safe from being destroyed too. Supports probably because even building destroyers recognise something will come down, and bridges because if they are open they rather cross them, and when closed it counts as wall
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17013 on: January 29, 2012, 07:56:52 am »

Nothing a spear through the heart wont solve. Or an axe through the neck. Or a warhammer through the skull. You get the idea.

Not necessarily.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17014 on: January 29, 2012, 09:09:29 am »

Not necessarily.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In that case...
*put on sun glasses*
steel is magma-proof
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17015 on: January 29, 2012, 09:12:11 am »

What I mean is, if I open up the caverns before I have metal/military etc, can I wall myself off or will building destroying critters come and kill me anyway? ie. do I *need* to get weaponry before going for magma? (excluding volcanos).

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #17016 on: January 29, 2012, 09:13:27 am »

Building Destroyers do not destroy Constructions (anything built with the b-C menu).  So you can safely wall yourself off and not worry about them smashing through the walls.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17017 on: January 29, 2012, 09:14:41 am »

What I mean is, if I open up the caverns before I have metal/military etc, can I wall myself off or will building destroying critters come and kill me anyway? ie. do I *need* to get weaponry before going for magma? (excluding volcanos).
yes you can wall yourself off but if there's some building destroyers already existing, they'd probably path to your location faster then your dwarves finishing walling it off.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17018 on: January 29, 2012, 09:20:28 am »

Excellent, thanks. Now I don't need to freak out when I hit a cavern after digging down a mere 3 levels :0

If only I could figure out the strange quirks of stairs/ramps etc *sigh*

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17019 on: January 29, 2012, 09:23:50 am »

Excellent, thanks. Now I don't need to freak out when I hit a cavern after digging down a mere 3 levels :0
If you use DF hack, it has a function called "reveal" allowing to see and plan your fortress through the cavern.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17020 on: January 29, 2012, 09:28:32 am »

I discovered DFHack after that :D And getting thoroughly sick of finding only useless ores.....

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17021 on: January 29, 2012, 09:35:05 am »

Is there any easy way to get rid of dead shrubs and dead saplings? An utility perhaps?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17022 on: January 29, 2012, 09:37:53 am »

dirt road I believe

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17023 on: January 29, 2012, 09:42:05 am »

Do dwarves travel any faster on roads, or smoothed rock, or anything like that?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17024 on: January 29, 2012, 09:46:58 am »

yes you can wall yourself in. Things in the C thing can't be destroyed

if enemies can fly, you may have to wall a bit more
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 ... 1133 1134 [1135] 1136 1137 ... 1178