Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1132 1133 [1134] 1135 1136 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123350 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16995 on: January 28, 2012, 05:15:26 pm »

Build a wall. Build a ramp next to that wall. Build the cage on that wall. Deconstruct that wall. Remove ramp. Hanging cage.
*Make connections to levers before you remove the wall/ramp :P
This would just result in a minotaur on top of a pillar, which isn't exactly the best way to drop a minotaur off of a cliff.
I think you missed the part that says "deconstruct that wall".

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16996 on: January 28, 2012, 08:27:19 pm »

Does wielding two crossbows actually do anything? More shots fired or something?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16997 on: January 28, 2012, 08:28:26 pm »

Not really, no.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #16998 on: January 28, 2012, 10:52:58 pm »

Question about running DF on a laptop, frankly, is it really possible? I realize I prolly shouldn't expect the same framerate on a desktop even on the best of laptops, but is it possible to get a reasonable framerate until later on in the fort? I intend to wait until the next release since it appears to be drawing near, so.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #16999 on: January 28, 2012, 10:56:01 pm »

Question about running DF on a laptop, frankly, is it really possible? I realize I prolly shouldn't expect the same framerate on a desktop even on the best of laptops, but is it possible to get a reasonable framerate until later on in the fort? I intend to wait until the next release since it appears to be drawing near, so.

Considering I only ever play DF on a laptop, yes, it is entirely possible :P

Since your real question is whether it is enjoyable, that really depends on how good the processor on your laptop is and what you consider to be a "reasonable framerate," and how many dwarves you expect to enjoy that with.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #17000 on: January 28, 2012, 11:00:12 pm »

Considering I tend to get bored around 50 or so and wander off to some other game/start a new fort, prolly that. I never really keep the FPS counter on but it's not too big of an issue really. Sounds like it probably won't be an issue after all, thanks!

EDIT: You know what, I'm just gonna jump in now because whynot.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 11:03:37 pm by Seriyu »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17001 on: January 29, 2012, 01:51:14 am »

Does wielding two crossbows actually do anything? More shots fired or something?

The only real benefit I can think of, and it's pretty tiny, is that if your dwarves end up lodging a crossbow in a wound after whacking an enemy with it, they can return to bashing the enemy with the other crossbow.  The dwarves won't shot more often or hold more ammo though.

At least, that's my understanding of the benefit of having two weapons.  I was under the impression that you couldn't get dwarves to hold two crossbows though, but I'll admit I've never tried it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17002 on: January 29, 2012, 05:44:24 am »

What tiles can be created? I know water+magma makes obsidian, is that the only one? Any way to make sand for glass, or clay for pottery? Or anything else?

Oh another one, everyone seems to talk about using bow dwarfs, is there some reason I shouldn't use melee? I've only got to the point of making metal stuff, not fighting anything with it yet.

I just keep thinking of questions :D

If I want to tame, say, a random goat, do I need to trap it in a cage, then have my trapper dude "tame large animal?" Is there any easy way to trap them or must I place cage traps where I hope they'll wander?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 05:58:12 am by Yaotzin »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17003 on: January 29, 2012, 06:11:12 am »

marksdwarfs are very good at shooting off enemies without getting hurt themself. Especially if you get dangerous beasts with deadly dust for example, you do NOT want to get too close

to tame anymals you need to get them in a cage first. I sometimes make eleborate walls in part of the map to force creatures into trapped places, like this

^ = cage
X = wall

^^XXXXXXXXX^^XXXXXXXXX^^

this way, any creature wanting to get to the other side will go through the gap or walk too close to the wall on either side and get trapped. You may want to scrap them after a while though, the build-up of trapped creatures can become a problem
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17004 on: January 29, 2012, 06:19:26 am »

Thanks, I'll try it on my new embark with everything but fireclay/kaolinite. Pity, wanted to try out pottery as well.

I only have a middling amount of lignite as fuel so that brings up another question:
People recommend just mining straight down to magma. I've never dealt with magma, but I think I can figure that out on my own. What about the caverns one surely wanders into, though? Aren't there nasty critters to kill you that you'll let loose?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #17005 on: January 29, 2012, 06:29:46 am »

What about the caverns one surely wanders into, though? Aren't there nasty critters to kill you that you'll let loose?

Get a Mason/Military squad if you plan to penetrate the caverns. At most, 3 layers of them, all home to many hostile creatures and Forgotten Beasties. The underground version of titans, but sometimes more than 4 can visit in any one year.

Mason - Walling up certain areas/creating chokepoints
Military - Defense!

Also, if you find coal or lignite, that is suitable for your metalwork as veins stretch for a long area. If you're really into forgery and such, with an inexaustable supply of basic metals or metallic ore just waiting to be smelted, aim for the magma!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17006 on: January 29, 2012, 06:32:09 am »

Wall off your central staircase as you dig through caverns. Also, don't you have wood? you can easily turn it into charcoal and use as fuel. It doesn't have many other uses anyway. And after you breach the caverns you can make huge underground tree farms. One of the problems with the magma is, is that you basically need to set up a seperate community there, or hauling everything back and forth will take ages, or you need to pump it up to the desired level
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17007 on: January 29, 2012, 06:39:22 am »

Very little wood. Think I'll need it for my beds and bins.

I was thinking of magma because even burning coal seemed quite slow to me, and of course lignite is even worse. 8 lignite for every steel reaction! Gah.

So as long as I make my secondary staircase somewhere a bit away, and am able to wall it off quickly, I'm safe? I thought critters could bash through constructed walls?

nevermind making my architect a miner wasn't the best idea, took ages to actually make my stairway.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 06:43:46 am by Yaotzin »

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17008 on: January 29, 2012, 06:46:36 am »

Is it possible to make an irregular sized activity area? It seems the only options are to make a rectangle, or remove the entire thing?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17009 on: January 29, 2012, 07:17:27 am »

Very little wood. Think I'll need it for my beds and bins.

I was thinking of magma because even burning coal seemed quite slow to me, and of course lignite is even worse. 8 lignite for every steel reaction! Gah.

So as long as I make my secondary staircase somewhere a bit away, and am able to wall it off quickly, I'm safe? I thought critters could bash through constructed walls?

nevermind making my architect a miner wasn't the best idea, took ages to actually make my stairway.

Constructed walls can not be destroyed except by designation or accident on your part
Pages: 1 ... 1132 1133 [1134] 1135 1136 ... 1178