Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1131 1132 [1133] 1134 1135 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123361 times)

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16980 on: January 27, 2012, 08:20:17 pm »

hi, i have a slab for a ghost thats causing trouble but i dont know how to use it. please help.

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16981 on: January 27, 2012, 08:24:04 pm »

You have to engrave the slab at a craftsdwarf shop by selecting "engrave a slab" and then picking the name of the dwarf out of the gigantic list of dead names (sorry that I don't know the keystrokes right here). You might also have to build the slab as well with alt+s (if the ghost doesn't disappear immediately after engraving then you will know that you need to).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16982 on: January 27, 2012, 10:02:44 pm »

Can I pit a Minotaur?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16983 on: January 27, 2012, 10:46:19 pm »

Can I pit a Minotaur?
Yes, as far as I cnow you can pit any caged enemy (though some will attempt to escape).

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16984 on: January 28, 2012, 05:03:58 am »

You have to engrave the slab at a craftsdwarf shop by selecting "engrave a slab" and then picking the name of the dwarf out of the gigantic list of dead names (sorry that I don't know the keystrokes right here). You might also have to build the slab as well with alt+s (if the ghost doesn't disappear immediately after engraving then you will know that you need to).

note that you need to set the order directly at the workshop, and not through the manager
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16985 on: January 28, 2012, 07:30:23 am »

Can I pit a Minotaur?
Yes, as far as I cnow you can pit any caged enemy (though some will attempt to escape).
If you're unsure (especially regarding big beasties and thieves), just build the cage and release them with a lever.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16986 on: January 28, 2012, 09:14:21 am »

Are raising bridges capable of doing the exact same thing as floodgates? I mean, if built of magma-safe material, are they water/magma proof when raised?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16987 on: January 28, 2012, 09:20:40 am »

yes,  and they are more secure since they won't be destroyed by building destroyers. You need to link it up with magma safe mechanisms too
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16988 on: January 28, 2012, 10:32:51 am »

yes,  and they are more secure since they won't be destroyed by building destroyers. You need to link it up with magma safe mechanisms too

Obsidian ftw.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16989 on: January 28, 2012, 11:03:08 am »

gabbro and orthoclase are more common

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16990 on: January 28, 2012, 03:01:47 pm »

They also have the advantage of never getting stuck open because some idiot managed to get his corpse stuck in the door, since bridges will just atomsmash it. They do have the disadvantage that 1x1 bridges look the same whether they are open or closed, however.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16991 on: January 28, 2012, 03:41:01 pm »

which is why I make 2x1 bridges usually, if it doesn't make it a danger of accidental smashing

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16992 on: January 28, 2012, 04:10:03 pm »

Can I pit a Minotaur?
This is why I'm asking. Will he escape or not?
It doesn't matter now though, goblin siege killed 1 marksdwarf (he drowned after dodging a bolt really) and started a tantrum spiral. Next fortress. ( I knew I should have covered up that murky pool instead of just digging a ramp.)
If you're unsure (especially regarding big beasties and thieves), just build the cage and release them with a lever.
This isn't what I want to do bc u have to build it on a floor, and I want to toss him off a cliff. I'd just as soon hack him to bits with axes than build a new platform, room, bridge and levers. Unless you can somehow build hanging cages?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16993 on: January 28, 2012, 04:14:32 pm »

This isn't what I want to do bc u have to build it on a floor, and I want to toss him off a cliff. I'd just as soon hack him to bits with axes than build a new platform, room, bridge and levers. Unless you can somehow build hanging cages?

>:D

HHHEEYYYESSSH.

Build a wall. Build a ramp next to that wall. Build the cage on that wall. Deconstruct that wall. Remove ramp. Hanging cage.
*Make connections to levers before you remove the wall/ramp :P

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16994 on: January 28, 2012, 04:16:59 pm »

If you place the cage directly next to the cliff then I give you about a 50/50 chance that he escapes compared to if he gets thrown off. If you place it with 1 square in-between I give you about a 15/85 chance that he escapes to him getting thrown off. If it's any farther then that then he will almost certainly escape.

Really the best way to handle this is to make a room where the entire center of the room is a retracting bridge. Then you can build the cages around the edge and open them. Then you simply have to wait until whatever you want to drop walks into the center of the room and then just retract the bridges.

Build a wall. Build a ramp next to that wall. Build the cage on that wall. Deconstruct that wall. Remove ramp. Hanging cage.
*Make connections to levers before you remove the wall/ramp :P
This would just result in a minotaur on top of a pillar, which isn't exactly the best way to drop a minotaur off of a cliff.
Pages: 1 ... 1131 1132 [1133] 1134 1135 ... 1178