Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1127 1128 [1129] 1130 1131 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123434 times)

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16920 on: January 25, 2012, 01:05:34 am »

Haha, I like DF as fast as the next guy, but when you're used to a Dwarf moving about 3 tiles a second, it can be daunting to have them fly as fast as a crossbow bolt.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16921 on: January 25, 2012, 01:35:49 am »

I generated a map and want to select a square that has sand to embark on. Where would it say that there is a sand layer? I see clay, shallow metals, deep metals, aquifers. Is sand supposed to appear here when present?

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16922 on: January 25, 2012, 02:01:51 am »

How effective is glass in .25 for use in weapon traps? What is the best weapon to make out of glass and just how effective is it compared to the same weapon made of iron? Steel?

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16923 on: January 25, 2012, 02:12:03 am »

If I buy Cave Crocodile eggs, will they hatch into Cave Crocodiles?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16924 on: January 25, 2012, 04:41:18 am »

If I buy Cave Crocodile eggs, will they hatch into Cave Crocodiles?
No, the eggs were not fertilized

How effective is glass in .25 for use in weapon traps? What is the best weapon to make out of glass and just how effective is it compared to the same weapon made of iron? Steel?

moderately effective. It can't penetrate metal armor too well, but you're fine slicing off hands and feet. Since it's light and fragile, blunt weapons don't work well if made from glass (glass balls joke anyone?), serrated discs do well enough. Any metal is usually preferable over glass though
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16925 on: January 25, 2012, 10:56:17 am »

Heh, whenever I embark on a sand layer, ALL my weapon traps are masterwork glass discs. A long row of these tends to reduce invaders to a fine chunky salsa(if they don't fall off, of course). Though, as stated, if you actually want invaders to die in the first few traps, metal is needed.

Question: Does armor have any (negative or positive, besides the obvious)effect at all on markdorfs, or am I alright in giving my crossbowmen the same armor my melee squads use? I'd like to have one general armor template, and use my leather for bags and stuff
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16926 on: January 25, 2012, 12:07:53 pm »

Question: Does armor have any (negative or positive, besides the obvious)effect at all on markdorfs, or am I alright in giving my crossbowmen the same armor my melee squads use? I'd like to have one general armor template, and use my leather for bags and stuff
Nope. It provides the exact same benefits/problem to all dwarves wearing it alike (those are saving them from horrible deaths and encumbrance if it is too heavy respectively).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16927 on: January 25, 2012, 01:04:08 pm »

if you use replace clothing instead of over clothing you can add some leather stuff, it really helps
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

mdqp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16928 on: January 25, 2012, 02:23:45 pm »

I am currently playing a weird embark. It's only 50 z-levels deep (I usually get more than 120 z-levels, at least). I didn't mess with the parameters of the world generator, (I only use a tileset, no mods or anything... Though since I am using the lazy newb pack, I have dfhack running in the background). So is it normal, and I just got lucky (magma at z-level 35, yay!), or is it a bug/glitch?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16929 on: January 25, 2012, 03:06:44 pm »

It happens.  My first long-running fortress in 31.xx was only about 40 Z-layers from the surface to the magma sea.  The world generation is somewhat random.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16930 on: January 25, 2012, 04:51:41 pm »

can you withdraw bridges when large creatures are on it? not raise, but withdraw

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16931 on: January 25, 2012, 04:53:43 pm »

If any one creature of a size greater than about 1,200,000 is on a retracting bridge, the bridge will refuse to retract when activated with a lever or pressure plate.  The weight limit is the same for raising drawbridges and retracting bridges.  If you attempt to extend a retracting bridge when a creature of that size is in the way, the bridge will be destroyed, same as attempting to lower a drawbridge onto that size creature.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16932 on: January 25, 2012, 05:05:45 pm »

right, so no dropping a FB to death

and found out why my pit of death malfunctioned, some gobs were on Rutherers
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 05:07:51 pm by Garath »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16933 on: January 25, 2012, 05:52:15 pm »

Actually... If I put 50 or so turkeys in a room with a dwarf, will he train up his block skills as they attack him?

Potentially yes.  But it would be tricky making sure the dwarf is on top of the pile.  Overcrowded creatures attack the only creature actually standing within the tile.  Dwarves seem to be on top more often than not, but I don't think it's 100%.  Also how quickly the attacks occur probably depends on how DF calculated the chances of an attack.  If it calculates the attack chance per critter, you might get a good number of attacks.  If it calculates per tile, sparring is probably faster.  The whole concept really needs some science.

Death from 1000 cuts is also a possibility if everything else goes well.  Pain from minor cuts add up pretty quickly, and once the dwarf is KO'd they'll go for the head which could eventually result in a lucky killshot when one of them gets the DF RNG equivalent of a natural 20.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #16934 on: January 25, 2012, 05:57:10 pm »

Actually... If I put 50 or so turkeys in a room with a dwarf, will he train up his block skills as they attack him?

Potentially yes.  But it would be tricky making sure the dwarf is on top of the pile.  Overcrowded creatures attack the only creature actually standing within the tile.  Dwarves seem to be on top more often than not, but I don't think it's 100%.  Also how quickly the attacks occur probably depends on how DF calculated the chances of an attack.  If it calculates the attack chance per critter, you might get a good number of attacks.  If it calculates per tile, sparring is probably faster.  The whole concept really needs some science.

Death from 1000 cuts is also a possibility if everything else goes well.  Pain from minor cuts add up pretty quickly, and once the dwarf is KO'd they'll go for the head which could eventually result in a lucky killshot when one of them gets the DF RNG equivalent of a natural 20.

There is currently ongoing science regarding this. In short, yes, the skill and attribute gain is much slower than your other options. However, it may be the best way to train military skills and attributes in children, who cannot be made to perform stat-enhancing labors or wear armor in danger rooms. Thread here.
Pages: 1 ... 1127 1128 [1129] 1130 1131 ... 1178