Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1126 1127 [1128] 1129 1130 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123472 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16905 on: January 24, 2012, 04:45:12 pm »

If you embark on multiple binomes (say, a tropical shrubland and a tropical marsh that abut one another), do you gain the benefits and penalties of each?  Can you only farm certain things IN that specific area?  Do you have multiple biomes of animal types?  Just curious, thanks.
The only restriction to aboveground farming that I know of is mountains, which gannot be used to farm on.

As for animal types, I'm not certain.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16906 on: January 24, 2012, 05:01:55 pm »

If you embark on multiple binomes (say, a tropical shrubland and a tropical marsh that abut one another), do you gain the benefits and penalties of each?  Can you only farm certain things IN that specific area?  Do you have multiple biomes of animal types?  Just curious, thanks.
The only restriction to aboveground farming that I know of is mountains, which gannot be used to farm on.
As for animal types, I'm not certain.
Also oceans don't allow any aboveground farming as well. As for animal types, yes, embarking on multiple biomes will give you access to the animal populations of all of the biomes present. In fact this was integral to the sea serpent farming thread that happened a while back, as only by embarking on the border to two savage ocean biomes was that fortress able to get two sea serpents.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16907 on: January 24, 2012, 08:32:23 pm »

Does the quality of training weapons affect their chances of causing injury?--like, if I give those masterwork wooden training axes to my military, will they chop each others' heads off sparring with them?

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16908 on: January 24, 2012, 08:53:43 pm »

Does the quality of training weapons affect their chances of causing injury?--like, if I give those masterwork wooden training axes to my military, will they chop each others' heads off sparring with them?

Not at all.

When the militia spar, they always "lightly tap" - so you can actually go right ahead and use live weapons for sparring!

However, if they keep their training weapons and run into battle, a masterwork weapon will work slightly better.

Just don't bother too much with training weapons... I imagine Toady will re-enable their usefulness at some point, but not for now.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16909 on: January 24, 2012, 09:00:44 pm »

training is pretty much no-injury unless like before
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16910 on: January 24, 2012, 10:49:14 pm »

Not at all.

When the militia spar, they always "lightly tap" - so you can actually go right ahead and use live weapons for sparring!

However, if they keep their training weapons and run into battle, a masterwork weapon will work slightly better.

Just don't bother too much with training weapons... I imagine Toady will re-enable their usefulness at some point, but not for now.
I've got very little metal currently, but a huge amount of wood from clear-cutting. All the woodcutters are using wooden training axes, etc. Lots of wood for cages, though, so I should get some metal with the first shipment of goblinite. Until then, wooden stuff for the militia to train with. What's better in real combat--masterwork training weapons, or wrestling? What about weapon traps--can you make good wooden trap weapons, spikes and things? Or should I just stick to stone?

In case you're wondering, I'm trying to figure out if I can run a fort without ever smelting any ore. All metal comes from traders and invaders... so naturally, for now, I'm short on metal.

Now, once I can get my glass industry going... *daydreams about goblins impaled on pointy green glass traps*
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 10:53:14 pm by Callista »

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16911 on: January 24, 2012, 10:50:45 pm »

Alright, I have a serious, serious problem. My current fort brought along one male and eight female turkeys, to produce eggs. Which went very well... Until my dumbass dwarves forgot to COLLECT the eggs. I now have upwards of 100 poults. My FPS is fine, but I need to remove them! Is there any way to do this?! And more importantly, is there any way to do this that won't leave me with 900 "deceased" names?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16912 on: January 24, 2012, 10:53:04 pm »

Alright, I have a serious, serious problem. My current fort brought along one male and eight female turkeys, to produce eggs. Which went very well... Until my dumbass dwarves forgot to COLLECT the eggs. I now have upwards of 100 poults. My FPS is fine, but I need to remove them! Is there any way to do this?! And more importantly, is there any way to do this that won't leave me with 900 "deceased" names?
Spike traps in the nest room?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #16913 on: January 24, 2012, 10:54:16 pm »

Unfortunately, no. Trading animals is bugged, otherwise that would be an option. It may be best to murder them all before they murder your FPS in turn. Make sure you have adequate food stockpiles so dwarves collect future eggs.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16914 on: January 24, 2012, 10:54:46 pm »

Mass butchery. Only cure for a classic chicksplosion. Alternatively, stuff them all into a cage (one cage will do) to save your FPS and butcher them at leisure, preferably when they grow up.

But I don't think you can remove the "deceased" names, short of modding, and I wouldn't risk it just for that.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16915 on: January 24, 2012, 10:57:03 pm »

But baby turkeys are adorable!

...drawbridge, raise drawbridge in a direction, make a pasture under the bridges location, assign the babies to it.  Laugh in evil glee as they start ripping eachother apart from overcrowding, lower bridge.

And unfortunately there is no way I am aware of to not add them to the deceased list.  Runesmith or DFHack might have the capability in there someplace, but I haven't really been keeping up with those, so I'm not sure.

Solves half your problem though.  If you want points for style wait til the 22nd of Timber and then dump them all into a lava pit.  Even dwarves need turkey day.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16916 on: January 24, 2012, 11:30:18 pm »

I've got very little metal currently, but a huge amount of wood from clear-cutting. All the woodcutters are using wooden training axes, etc. Lots of wood for cages, though, so I should get some metal with the first shipment of goblinite. Until then, wooden stuff for the militia to train with. What's better in real combat--masterwork training weapons, or wrestling? What about weapon traps--can you make good wooden trap weapons, spikes and things? Or should I just stick to stone?

In case you're wondering, I'm trying to figure out if I can run a fort without ever smelting any ore. All metal comes from traders and invaders... so naturally, for now, I'm short on metal.

Now, once I can get my glass industry going... *daydreams about goblins impaled on pointy green glass traps*

It depends. If it's a legendary wrestler, let him wrestle. Otherwise, a weapon is better than nothing... I guess.

There are some wooden trap components that you can make; spiked wooden balls and wooden corkscrews come to mind. I used them to great effect when I had an incursion of badgers. They're blastedly good, too, for wood.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16917 on: January 25, 2012, 12:28:24 am »

Actually... If I put 50 or so turkeys in a room with a dwarf, will he train up his block skills as they attack him?

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16918 on: January 25, 2012, 12:35:51 am »

And also, an unusual problem: Dwarf Fortress seems to run too fast! My FPS rate is ~150, and dwarves are zipping along... what do I do?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16919 on: January 25, 2012, 12:46:55 am »

And also, an unusual problem: Dwarf Fortress seems to run too fast! My FPS rate is ~150, and dwarves are zipping along... what do I do?
data\init\init.txt\[FPS_CAP:<speed of choice>]
And wtf man, people usually like them fast....
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.
Pages: 1 ... 1126 1127 [1128] 1129 1130 ... 1178