Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1125 1126 [1127] 1128 1129 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123462 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16890 on: January 21, 2012, 05:27:49 pm »

Constructed and natural walls are immune to melting/heat damage, so just the natural ground will hold them magma fine. (Unless they are natural ice walls, those will melt and then turn into obsidian when they mix with the magma IIRC)

Tundra and Taiga are both fairly cold areas, but it might still be possible for liquid water to exist above-ground in the middle of the summer. If it can then you should be able to combine water and magma above ground with a little bit of effort to cast your fortress. If water is frozen year-round on your map however, then it will take much more work in order to get the water to where you want it above ground so it can mix with the magma.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Urist McEngineer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16891 on: January 21, 2012, 05:31:21 pm »

I considered pairing the magma and water stack so the water stack won't get frozen and create constructions so I can minimize the waterdrop to 1z level at a time.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16892 on: January 21, 2012, 05:39:30 pm »

I considered pairing the magma and water stack so the water stack won't get frozen and create constructions so I can minimize the waterdrop to 1z level at a time.
As long as the water and magma are always 1 tile away from each other you shouldn't have any problems with freezing. The only way that I know of to do this is by having one on top of the other though (since walls take a full tile), which though it's very dwarven to do will take a lot more work as I said before. So yeah it should be certainly possible for you to do even if water is frozen year-round, it's just a matter of how much you want to work for it.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Urist McEngineer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16893 on: January 21, 2012, 05:47:49 pm »

I'll try it and have fun I suppose. At least I get to try to kill some elk and muskox along the way.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16894 on: January 21, 2012, 05:50:50 pm »

I'll try it and have fun I suppose. At least I get to try to kill some elk and muskox along the way.
Well that's what DF is all about isn't it? Having !!FUN!! that is. :D If you do succeed in your efforts be sure to let us know about it. It's always awesome to see someone pull off something that takes a bunch of work.

Ms4k

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16895 on: January 21, 2012, 06:10:02 pm »

Just an update, my dwarves started training now that I filled up the squad and set it to 9 minimum. Thanks for the help.

Ms4k

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16896 on: January 21, 2012, 06:10:18 pm »

Just an update, my dwarves started training now that I filled up the squad and set it to 9 minimum. Thanks for the help.

Urist McEngineer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16897 on: January 23, 2012, 04:06:01 pm »

If I would like to make chimneys for my tanners and butchers, is channeling out the central tile enough? Or is there a special tile that needs to be vented then?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16898 on: January 23, 2012, 04:19:45 pm »

Why do you think you need to make chimneys?  If you are worried about rotting animal products creating miasma, you would be far better off actually having refuse stockpiles for everything so the workshop isn't getting cluttered with animal products.  And that only applies to the butcher's shop, nothing created in the tannery gives off miasma.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Urist McEngineer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16899 on: January 23, 2012, 04:28:39 pm »

It seems it isn't necessary then. I like the idea of making them. So I'll do both. Refuse stockpiles and constructed 3x3 chimneys with the middle outer squares grates and a hole in the middle. Sealed off with a floor.

Lokathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16900 on: January 24, 2012, 12:23:54 am »

Why does the embark screen always tell me that it can't complete my embark saved prep because there is no cave fish or cave lobster, when i can indeed select said food and bring it with me?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16901 on: January 24, 2012, 09:29:00 am »

I've noticed that too.  It seems to be a bug - the game doesn't think you have those foods available even though you do.  It's probably due to them being from underground, from cavern lakes, even though dwarves have no problem having underground plants available at embark.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16902 on: January 24, 2012, 01:43:43 pm »

Is it possible to re-equip invaders? For example, removing copper weapons and armor and equipping steel and stuff?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16903 on: January 24, 2012, 02:00:02 pm »

Is it possible to re-equip invaders? For example, removing copper weapons and armor and equipping steel and stuff?
If you send a dabbling militia wearing nothing but a weapon to fight them one on one then there's a chance they'd wrestle the weapon from the militia then use it against him. That's the only method I know of.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Kalphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16904 on: January 24, 2012, 04:21:56 pm »

If you embark on multiple binomes (say, a tropical shrubland and a tropical marsh that abut one another), do you gain the benefits and penalties of each?  Can you only farm certain things IN that specific area?  Do you have multiple biomes of animal types?  Just curious, thanks.
Pages: 1 ... 1125 1126 [1127] 1128 1129 ... 1178