Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1123 1124 [1125] 1126 1127 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123524 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16860 on: January 20, 2012, 09:51:19 am »

how good is an artifact leather buckler? My best leatherworker just finished making one out of badger leather, some granite blocks an a couple of logs(Sadly was a possession, so not legendary, though he's only a bit away from it though)

From my understanding the material of a shield doesn't affect its effectiveness in combat, so it should be quite good, being an artifact.

Well, that's assuming that being an artifact affects a shield's chance of deflecting an attack, which I think it does, but I'm not sure.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16861 on: January 20, 2012, 09:52:18 am »

thats true, but it makes a very poor shield bash weapon
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #16862 on: January 20, 2012, 09:57:17 am »

thats true, but it makes a very poor shield bash weapon

To clarify for those new here, the material used in making the shield affects its 'bash' power.

Iron/Bronze>Steel>Copper>Silver

Not including the quality of the shield. Artifacts should be on the top-priority on your list as it has a higher deflection modifier. I guess that means you block more now that you have an artifact shield.

JasonMel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16863 on: January 20, 2012, 01:13:13 pm »

Does anyone happen to know for sure if forbidden items can give happy thoughts to dwarves near them?
I have seen no evidence that items lying on the ground give any happy thoughts at all.  Dwarves only seem to get happy thoughts from items if they are constructed as buildings, and not if they are lying on the ground loose.

Then what's the point of having preferences for things like earrings, etc.? Is it strictly a boost to the maker's item quality probabilities during crafting?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16864 on: January 20, 2012, 01:57:54 pm »

Probably.  I suspect that at some point in the future there will be more use for things like that.

In the meantime you could add the display case mod and put things like earrings and amulets on display.  Especially artifacts.  Then the dwarves will be happy about admiring them.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16865 on: January 20, 2012, 02:19:58 pm »

Does anyone happen to know for sure if forbidden items can give happy thoughts to dwarves near them?
I have seen no evidence that items lying on the ground give any happy thoughts at all.  Dwarves only seem to get happy thoughts from items if they are constructed as buildings, and not if they are lying on the ground loose.

Then what's the point of having preferences for things like earrings, etc.? Is it strictly a boost to the maker's item quality probabilities during crafting?

Nobles who like earrings may issue a mandate to have some made.  I think they may also occasionally mandate that you can't trade any away.

Back in 40d, when the Economy kicked in, dwarves would also purchase things they like in shops, and bring them back to store in their rooms (either lying on the floor, or in a chest if they had a chest).  Presumably, when the new version gets an Economy, something like this will probably happen again.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Ferozstein

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes magma and dwarves for their macabre ways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16866 on: January 20, 2012, 03:19:59 pm »

Is there any way to provide macedwarves with training weapons? I can equip my hammerdorfs with feather wood crossbows in a pinch, but there seems to no "weak" weapon for the mace skill I can think of.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16867 on: January 20, 2012, 03:25:27 pm »

Two options:

Adamantine maces or feather wood crossbows and no ammo.

Depending on what you're trying to do, the crossbows with no ammo is probably the easiest and best option.

Ferozstein

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes magma and dwarves for their macabre ways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16868 on: January 20, 2012, 03:32:49 pm »

Crossbows with no ammo train the hammerdwarf skill, not macedwarf. Seems that candy maces are the only option...

Meh, I'll just ignore maces. Much less hassle.

Jaylow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fleet
« Reply #16869 on: January 20, 2012, 05:44:18 pm »

what is the use of making meals  in the kitchen ?
also do they rot away?
History always has a few tricks up its frayed sleeve. It's been around a long time.
Creators aren't gods. They make places, which is quite hard. It's men that make gods. This explains a lot.
One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather.
This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16870 on: January 20, 2012, 05:48:53 pm »

Crossbows with no ammo train the hammerdwarf skill, not macedwarf. Seems that candy maces are the only option...

Meh, I'll just ignore maces. Much less hassle.

Whoops.  I didn't even realize there were separate skills for the two.  Adamantine maces are probably the only option you have without modding, but I agree that just making hammers is probably easier.  From what I gather there is little difference between the two.

what is the use of making meals  in the kitchen ?
also do they rot away?

To my knowledge, stockpiled food doesn't rot away, including prepared meals.  Meals have much higher value than their constituent components and provide happier thoughts.  Apparently a skilled chef can buy out caravans with a few dwarven syrup roasts, or at least they could at one point.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16871 on: January 20, 2012, 07:04:52 pm »

Meals have much higher value than their constituent components and provide happier thoughts.  Apparently a skilled chef can buy out caravans with a few dwarven syrup roasts, or at least they could at one point.

Still can.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #16872 on: January 20, 2012, 07:46:38 pm »

Re: Training Maces

Sparring injuries are much less prevalent than they were in the bad ol' days of 40d- in fact, I'd go so far as to say they are virtually nonexistent. Go ahead and just equip them with combat-ready weaponry.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16873 on: January 20, 2012, 08:04:11 pm »

That's also true.  The only reasons I can think of to equip dwarves with training weapons these days is to train them by beating on prisoners or for giving to the captain of the gaurd.  In the latter case there's probably no need to go to a lot of hassle for the weapon, but for training on prisoners I suppose it's a different matter.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16874 on: January 20, 2012, 11:55:50 pm »

what's the best way of speeding up candy production? putting a small stockpile of raw candy next to the craftsdorf shops? Or putting a craftsdorf shop next to the forges exclusively for strand extraction?
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.
Pages: 1 ... 1123 1124 [1125] 1126 1127 ... 1178