Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1122 1123 [1124] 1125 1126 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123516 times)

Zaphod728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16845 on: January 19, 2012, 02:01:24 pm »

So my dwarves have suddenly become very frisky. Its because they now have free time, I was running 3-6 idlers for a very long time and im up to 133 dwarves. Now my fortress is pretty much done, with everyone having very nice rooms, and a thriving industry. Does anything else effect how "friendly" my dwarves are with each other. I would assume that happiness helps, but idle time seems to be a requirement (obviously).

Also i placed down a few nest boxes and holy crap! I think its time for some duckling soup.

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16846 on: January 19, 2012, 02:11:29 pm »

How come a Roc gives more meat than a Dragon? A Roc's size is 20,000,000 cm3 while a dragon is 25,000,000 cm3. And yet, Dragons only yield 139 pieces of meat, and a Roc yields 416-949. A Roc gives 300%-700% more meat.

I got my info on the Wiki page. Is something wrong with the coding or is the Wiki a typo?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16847 on: January 19, 2012, 02:46:59 pm »

I think this sums it up pretty much, taken from the wiki page

"There is too little information about this creature.
 Please contribute if you can!"
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #16848 on: January 19, 2012, 02:54:22 pm »

How come a Roc gives more meat than a Dragon? A Roc's size is 20,000,000 cm3 while a dragon is 25,000,000 cm3. And yet, Dragons only yield 139 pieces of meat, and a Roc yields 416-949. A Roc gives 300%-700% more meat.

I got my info on the Wiki page. Is something wrong with the coding or is the Wiki a typo?

Dragons can grow much larger than Roc's, but Roc's take much less time to mature. A Roc will reach their adult size in only 20 years- a Dragon will take 800 just to match a Roc, and become "full grown" after 1000 years. I think Dragons are generated at world-gen with a jump-start on their age, but they're still more likely to fall between Hydra and Roc than exceed it, if you don't run world-gen long.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16849 on: January 19, 2012, 03:58:33 pm »

The algorithm that DF uses to calculate yields from butchering isn't quite linear with size, the number and type of body parts a creature has have a big effect on the results too.  I spent a while through trial and error reverse-engineering how it all works.

For what it's worth, my code calculates an average size adult Roc of size 20000000 yields:

180 bone, 18 chopped liver, 46 fat, 1 feather, 322 meat, 1 nail, 1 nervous tissue
   18 prepared brain, 2 prepared eye, 9 prepared heart, 55 prepared intestines
   18 prepared kidney, 36 prepared lung, 9 prepared spleen, 1 skin, 1 skull
   9 sweetbread, 18 tripe

While an average size adult dragon of size 25000000 yields:

249 bone, 1 cartilage, 21 chopped liver, 73 fat, 431 meat, 1 nail
   1 nervous tissue, 21 prepared brain, 2 prepared eye, 10 prepared heart
   64 prepared intestines, 20 prepared kidney, 42 prepared lung, 10 prepared spleen
   1 scale, 1 skull, 10 sweetbread, 3 tooth, 21 tripe

This assumes that the creature is fully grown.  Most Rocs you meet will be, but very few Dragons will be fully grown unless you have a very old world.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Kalphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16850 on: January 19, 2012, 09:45:41 pm »

Can anyone give me a newbie rundown on Magma (IE: Pressure/Safe digging)?  I embarked on an area with a volcano and would like to tap it for magma forges, but I'm not sure what a "safe" way to do it is.  If I have to (since I don't know if I have access to magma safe materials or how to use screw pumps and the like), I am willing to build the forges on a higher level if I must, which would not be too hard since the volcano is completely surrounded by stone and not free standing.  Thanks for any thoughts!

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16851 on: January 19, 2012, 09:50:47 pm »

Is there a way to keep dwarves from cleaning a certain area? I want my arena to stay colorful with the blood of my enemies, but they keep washing it out.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16852 on: January 19, 2012, 09:58:15 pm »

Can anyone give me a newbie rundown on Magma (IE: Pressure/Safe digging)?  I embarked on an area with a volcano and would like to tap it for magma forges, but I'm not sure what a "safe" way to do it is.  If I have to (since I don't know if I have access to magma safe materials or how to use screw pumps and the like), I am willing to build the forges on a higher level if I must, which would not be too hard since the volcano is completely surrounded by stone and not free standing.  Thanks for any thoughts!
Magma can only be pressurized by pumps, which means you are perfectly safe into just boring into the side of the volcano. The best way to do this in my opinion is to pick a level that you are going to have your forges dug on and dig out your workshops. Then go down one level with a down stairway and dig out a tunnel that connects underneath the workshop areas, preferably going directly under the places where you will channel out for magma access (under the unpassable workshop tiles is best). Then dig the tunnel all of the way up to the side of the volcano, but don't actually breach it. At this point simply designate the volcano wall for smoothing, and then carve out a fortification in it. Your dwarf should get away completely unharmed (assuming you left the staircase there for him to get out!) and the magma will flow beneath your workshops where all you need to do is channel out some floor to access the magma and then build the workshop. If you want you can also build a magma-safe bridge in the tunnel where you will be accessing the magma in order to raise it and keep out magma beasts, but if you simply floor over the down staircase that accessed the tunnel and make it so that the unpassable tiles of your workshops always cover the holes in the floor for magma access, then you don't need to do that.

Is there a way to keep dwarves from cleaning a certain area? I want my arena to stay colorful with the blood of my enemies, but they keep washing it out.
The only ways I know of is to open your arena to the sky, turning off cleaning on every dwarf, or to assign all dwarves to a burrow which does not include your arena floor.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Ms4k

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16853 on: January 19, 2012, 11:53:18 pm »

Hey guys, I'm having a little bit of trouble getting all of my dwarves to train all at once. I have set up a schedule under an alert for them to train every month, but it seems only one of the dwarves will train at once. The other dwarves claim they have no scheduled order, even though they are all in the same squad with the same schedule. I don't think this is a bug, but I also don't think there's anything glaring I missed when setting it up. Any help would be appreciated.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #16854 on: January 19, 2012, 11:59:58 pm »

Do you have a barracks for them to train in? You can define a barracks from a bed, armor stand, weapon rack, cabinet, or chest- once you've defined it, assign squads to train there (you should see a T by squad name, if I recall correctly.)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16855 on: January 20, 2012, 12:41:19 am »

how good is an artifact leather buckler? My best leatherworker just finished making one out of badger leather, some granite blocks an a couple of logs(Sadly was a possession, so not legendary, though he's only a bit away from it though)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

JasonMel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16856 on: January 20, 2012, 08:21:51 am »

Does anyone happen to know for sure if forbidden items can give happy thoughts to dwarves near them?

I'd rather get rid of the 1x1 stockpiles holding things like the masterwork lead figurine in the bedroom of a constantly-depressed broker-soldier who supposedly likes such things, but if I remove the stockpile, I find the other jealous dwarves tend to take her figurine away and put it in the communal goods storeroom.

JasonMel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16857 on: January 20, 2012, 08:27:40 am »

Hey guys, I'm having a little bit of trouble getting all of my dwarves to train all at once. I have set up a schedule under an alert for them to train every month, but it seems only one of the dwarves will train at once. The other dwarves claim they have no scheduled order, even though they are all in the same squad with the same schedule. I don't think this is a bug, but I also don't think there's anything glaring I missed when setting it up. Any help would be appreciated.

You could check whether you accidentally set a funky low minimum number of dwarves on the train order during the current month.

Dwaref

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16858 on: January 20, 2012, 08:56:54 am »

You could check whether you accidentally set a funky low minimum number of dwarves on the train order during the current month.
From what i recall dwarves will only train with the set amount of soldiers EVER. This means that a squad of 10 is usually set to train 9 soldiers, so that one of them can always go sleep/eat/drink and they can take turns.
If one is say injured and needs to go into traction, then training sort of grinds to a halt, since the remaining 9 have to stop training once anyone needs to go do something else.
Of course if you set the minimum to like one dwarf only, then just one dwarf will hog the barracks and probably just do individual training since he has nobody to spar/teach/learn with.

For squads of different sizes you also need to set the minimum to one less than its able squad size ofc. For every dwarf that dies, or is crippled(a lot harder to detect) you need to set a new minimum to one month and copy the order to all other months. It's one of the micro-managing things about the military that i dislike and sure hope is fixed in the upcoming version. So that all dwarves will train even if the min is set to 1.
He is somewhat reserved. He prefers to be alone. He doesn't need thrills or risks in life. He is never optimistic or enthusiastic about anything. He has a fertile imagination. He is open-minded to new ideas. He is put off by authority and tradition. He is very straightforward with others. He is very disorganized. He thinks it is incredibly important to strive for excellence. He has very little self-discipline. He takes time when making decisions. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16859 on: January 20, 2012, 09:08:04 am »

Does anyone happen to know for sure if forbidden items can give happy thoughts to dwarves near them?
I have seen no evidence that items lying on the ground give any happy thoughts at all.  Dwarves only seem to get happy thoughts from items if they are constructed as buildings, and not if they are lying on the ground loose.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 1122 1123 [1124] 1125 1126 ... 1178