Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1121 1122 [1123] 1124 1125 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123582 times)

rufio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16830 on: January 18, 2012, 08:10:34 pm »

Are you absolutely certain that there are no metals/flux on the maps? How far down have you dug? I've never had a problem like this.

Not very far, but I ran DFHack on the site that I embarked at, which the map claimed had flux stone, and the results from prospect were 3106 mudstone, 2203 clay, 3 granite, and 517 limonite.  In all the other cases, the embark map itself claimed there was no flux stone.  Since it was wrong about that site having any flux stone, though, I suppose anything is possible.

For bird breeding, forbid the eggs as soon as they are laid, or put the nest boxes and birds in a room and lock the door.

How do you get the birds into the locked room?  I've noticed that even when they've claimed nesting boxes, they still wander around aimlessly in meeting areas.  Maybe they lay eggs from the meeting areas, too, as I've never seen them actually on a nesting box.  I guess pitting would probably work.  I'll have to try that if I ever find a place to embark with actual resources on it.

This, I generally let the first generation hatch, butcher all but one male and then harvest the bounty of eggs.

That was sort of my intention - I understand that birds are the new exploding domestic animal.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16831 on: January 18, 2012, 08:16:51 pm »

For bird breeding, forbid the eggs as soon as they are laid, or put the nest boxes and birds in a room and lock the door.
How do you get the birds into the locked room?  I've noticed that even when they've claimed nesting boxes, they still wander around aimlessly in meeting areas.  Maybe they lay eggs from the meeting areas, too, as I've never seen them actually on a nesting box.  I guess pitting would probably work.  I'll have to try that if I ever find a place to embark with actual resources on it.
Use a pasture, or just watch the boxes like a hawk and wait for a bird to claim one.
Birds only sit on the boxes while the eggs are there. If the eggs are removed right away, the birds will not stay on the boxes.

rufio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16832 on: January 18, 2012, 10:16:42 pm »

Well, after some experimenting with DFHack, it turns out that apparently there's a marble level 50 levels down, but that's still not real helpful.  What I'd really like is to be able to embark somewhere that's primarily sedimentary with sedimentary flux.  Also, apparently searching for flux when looking for an embark site doesn't work at all - if you just pick flux: yes and N/A with everything else, it returns the whole map, so it is completely useless.  Is there another way to search for embarks other than looking at every single likely square?  Are there particular places/environments I should look for sedimentary flux in?  All I know is that the volcanoes are igneous extrusive.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16833 on: January 18, 2012, 11:31:44 pm »

Edit: Post not applicable anymore. Please disregard
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:34:52 pm by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16834 on: January 19, 2012, 01:54:59 am »

Well, after some experimenting with DFHack, it turns out that apparently there's a marble level 50 levels down, but that's still not real helpful.  What I'd really like is to be able to embark somewhere that's primarily sedimentary with sedimentary flux.  Also, apparently searching for flux when looking for an embark site doesn't work at all - if you just pick flux: yes and N/A with everything else, it returns the whole map, so it is completely useless.  Is there another way to search for embarks other than looking at every single likely square?  Are there particular places/environments I should look for sedimentary flux in?  All I know is that the volcanoes are igneous extrusive.

Stay away from mountains and volcanoes. Or you can take a look around in adventure mode.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16835 on: January 19, 2012, 05:06:48 am »

Will water falling on a catwalk from above wash anyone off the catwalk? I have this sweet embark with fuel, flux and iron with a stream falling 8z levels into a river; I'd ideally like to dam the smaller river with floodgates for waterfalls on command to wash away any sieges that get past all the traps on the catwalk
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #16836 on: January 19, 2012, 06:06:20 am »

It should do. Try pasturing some animals to test it out.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16837 on: January 19, 2012, 06:49:09 am »

......well, the point is moot now, as I MAY have managed to accidentally wash half my starting 7 into the gorge while trying to use pumps to divert the stream....(Note to self, divert stream much farther south next time)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16838 on: January 19, 2012, 06:49:58 am »

and yes, falling water on a bridge can wash dwarfs away
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #16839 on: January 19, 2012, 11:55:56 am »

So the two ways to dam/reroute a river are A) in a biome where water freezes, mine it out and build floodgates, and B) otherwise use pumps.

Just as a quick summary, how does the pump method work? Do you have to channel a new river to divert the water while you're working? In which case that seems like too much trouble and too destructive to the land (especially if your first floor of your fort is 1 z below the brook/river, then you basically have to channel through it).

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16840 on: January 19, 2012, 12:24:17 pm »

just like in reality if you try to divert a river, you'd have to dig the new riverbed first or you'll cause widespread flooding. I never tried to dam a river, but I imagine the procedure would be similar, since you'd need to store the water somewhere
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16841 on: January 19, 2012, 12:47:45 pm »

just like in reality if you try to divert a river, you'd have to dig the new riverbed first or you'll cause widespread flooding. I never tried to dam a river, but I imagine the procedure would be similar, since you'd need to store the water somewhere
Not required actually. In DF due to the way that rivers work they won't pressurize/input water if there is no where for the water to go. As such all you need to do is successfully wall off a river and it will not overflow its banks.

For the pump method, it basically involves putting enough pumps around a single area of the river in order to create a dry spot on the riverbed because the pumps are drawing water out faster then it can flow in. This water can then either be diverted downstream, diverted into an aquifer, or sent off of one of the map edges (alternatively you could fill a giant reservoir and then slowly drain it back into the river, but the map edge is usually easier. Then simply build a drawbridge in the dry area, connect it to a lever, and then stop the pumps. The river will then resume flowing but at the pull of a lever will be shut off by the raised drawbridge.

Also as opposed to needing freezing or using pumps, if you have magma you can also just pour magma into the river and create an obsidian dam (simple but doesn't create very straight dams, more of half circle ones), or cast magma above the area you wish to dam and then cave it in on the river (allows creation of straight walls but will collapse through any lower levels if you have already dug out underneath the river where the planned dam is going to be.)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 12:55:58 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #16842 on: January 19, 2012, 12:50:52 pm »

Not required actually. In DF due to the way that rivers work they won't pressurize/input water if there is no where for the water to go. As such all you need to do is successfully wall off a river and it will not overflow its banks.

For the pump method, it basically involves putting enough pumps around a single area of the river in order to create a dry spot on the riverbed because the pumps are drawing water out faster then it can flow in. This water can then either be diverted downstream, diverted into an aquifer, or sent off of one of the map edges (alternatively you could fill a giant reservoir and then slowly drain it back into the river, but the map edge is usually easier. Then simply build a drawbridge in the dry area, connect it to a lever, and then stop the pumps. The river will then resume flowing but at the pull of a lever will be shut off by the raised drawbridge.

Also as opposed to needing freezing or using pumps, if you have magma you can also just pour magma into the river and create an obsidian dam (simple but doesn't create very straight dams, more of half circle ones), or cast magma above the area you wish to dam and then cave it in on the river (allows creation of straight walls but will collapse through any lower levels if you have already dug out underneath the river where the planned dam is going to be.

I sense tremendous potential for FUN! here! I may just try to create a Roman style raised aqueduct just for the fun of it.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16843 on: January 19, 2012, 12:57:02 pm »

first time I tried something with pumps I didnt have a place for the water to go too, or at least not enough space, and caused half the map to flood before a dwarf managed to shut it off (also my first experiment with a waterwheel)

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16844 on: January 19, 2012, 01:37:22 pm »

Would setting 'Farmers Only' farm, prevent overflowing?  And possibly No Mix, so food isn't wasted on mixtures.  I'm curious how this would operate.  A fortress should have all interrupts off, so this is possible by default.  This is one of the cool features of DF, as I see things, from my lowly perspective.

Sincerely,
Knutor
No Mix just means that they won't mix food types, (so rat meat goes in one barrel, bird meat in another, etc.) so it would make you run out of barrels/pots even faster.

On the point about farming overflowing and using up a gazillion pots/barrels - if your food stockpile is limited in size and gets filled up with pots/barrels of food, presumably any excess crops will simply be left on the farm tiles (unharvested), until they rot away?  So as long as you've got more pots/barrels than you have food (& drink) stockpile squares, running out of them won't be a problem.  It's a self-limiting system...although you do end up wasting a load of crops.  Probably best to ensure your farming's all brewable crops, too, to avoid the risk of only non-brewable crops being barrelled and the rest rotting away.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely
Pages: 1 ... 1121 1122 [1123] 1124 1125 ... 1178