Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1116 1117 [1118] 1119 1120 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123649 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16755 on: January 13, 2012, 02:28:21 pm »

Invader mounts will always be hostile, even if you capture and tame them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16756 on: January 13, 2012, 02:46:16 pm »

But if you get them to breed, their babies can be tamed.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #16757 on: January 13, 2012, 06:56:52 pm »

All items made of materials with a boiling point of less than 12000 Urists will boil in magma, which means they'll melt and then evaporate into a cloud of gas.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #16758 on: January 13, 2012, 08:42:10 pm »

But if you get them to breed, their babies can be tamed.

The parent will be hostile though, so expect it attacking it's own babies...

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16759 on: January 14, 2012, 01:00:54 am »

How do I know what seeds, the dorfs will Mill?  Will they mill these ones I set, or marked, NOT to cook, in the Kitchen stock lists?  I'm trying to figure out this, but it is not jumping out at me.  I just sorta want them to mill rock nuts, but the command says Mill Seeds/Nuts.  Anyone know?  Another strange concern I have, is that in Serf city it was important to put the mill, near the farm, because the plants were difficult to carry-haul.  As apposed to the milled stuff.  Is that the case here, or is it just a problem of footsteps, and not bulkiness and wt.  If its just a matter of distance, ie footsteps, then I'm not gonna worry about positioning it near the farms.

Thanks,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16760 on: January 14, 2012, 01:25:24 am »

I'm not completely sure of this, but I think only Rock Nuts get milled.

Yone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16761 on: January 14, 2012, 01:41:18 am »

Unrelated question: Is the only way dwarfs will wear clothes after theirs fall apart is if I draft them and assign them clothes?

Unsure about the rest of your post, but my understanding is that yes, this is how the current game works.  Supposedly Toady disabled picking up new clothes to fix an FPS problem or something.

That's what I though. Thanks.

And it turns out the dwarf civ wasn't dead. Caravans continued to show up, just no leaders were listed except for the liaisons. 

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16762 on: January 14, 2012, 02:05:46 am »

I forget: If I embark in a salty biome, would the water in the caverns ALSO be salty? I'm not sure I want to mess around with desalinization, especially since My fort would likely be beneath a hefty aquifer....
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #16763 on: January 14, 2012, 04:31:10 am »

I don't think I've ever seen salty cavern water, so you should be fine.

joihnsonlee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16764 on: January 14, 2012, 12:47:28 pm »

how do u make a bed?

can u move the wagon?

and how do u make wealth?

Jaylow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fleet
« Reply #16765 on: January 14, 2012, 12:55:03 pm »

joihnsonlee--> make a carpenter  (press b w c)  when its build press q  and the  press a and then b
i never tryed to move the wagon
and for wealth just build loads of thinhgs i think
History always has a few tricks up its frayed sleeve. It's been around a long time.
Creators aren't gods. They make places, which is quite hard. It's men that make gods. This explains a lot.
One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather.
This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16766 on: January 14, 2012, 12:58:02 pm »

To create beds, you need a carpenter, a carpenter's workshop, and some wood logs. (q) over the workshop, and (a)ssign it to make (b)eds. Once the carpenter's made a bed, use the (b)uild menu to have the (b)ed built somewhere dwarves can use it.

The wagon cannot be moved. To deconstruct it and salvage the wood for other projects, (q) over it and select (x) destroy building.

Creating or building anything creates wealth. Trading it to caravans lets other civs (and your own) know about your fort's wealth.

Those questions sound like things a newcomer would ask, so, welcome to Dwarf Fortress, here's the wiki. Remember, losing is fun!

Jaylow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fleet
« Reply #16767 on: January 14, 2012, 01:26:43 pm »

would a glass/crystal floor let sun trough?
so my dworf wont puke when they come  outside for battle?
History always has a few tricks up its frayed sleeve. It's been around a long time.
Creators aren't gods. They make places, which is quite hard. It's men that make gods. This explains a lot.
One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather.
This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16768 on: January 14, 2012, 01:33:49 pm »

would a glass/crystal floor let sun trough?
so my dworf wont puke when they come  outside for battle?
If a tile has seen light, it will never bee dark again.
So if you build the floors after exposing the tiles, yes, they'll always be light no matter what the ceiling is made of.

Jaylow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fleet
« Reply #16769 on: January 14, 2012, 07:11:32 pm »

does the phoebus image pack make the game slower?

EDIT: yes it does, and a lot... i switched to mayday and now i have 235fps and not 53 fps with 62 dwarfs..
so now  to see  how much dwarf i can handle  and still have 100 fps..

« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 08:44:48 pm by Jaylow »
Pages: 1 ... 1116 1117 [1118] 1119 1120 ... 1178