Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1115 1116 [1117] 1118 1119 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123656 times)

Zaphod728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16740 on: January 11, 2012, 09:45:41 pm »

So I had some sort of fireball titan attack. It was easy enough to kill, but now I have this fire problem.
My fps is currently somewhere between 0.5 and 1.
Is there any way to deal with this?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16741 on: January 11, 2012, 10:07:26 pm »

I feel ya clockout. Getting my military into the tiny danger rooms is a hassle and a half. I tried burrows, move orders, etc. I wish when you gave the order "stand HERE" they would stand...there.
Try assigning the room as a barracks and have them train there.

So I had some sort of fireball titan attack. It was easy enough to kill, but now I have this fire problem.
My fps is currently somewhere between 0.5 and 1.
Is there any way to deal with this?
The fire will eventually run out of things to burn. I know that channels block fire, and I believe stockpiles may also block fire.

Zaphod728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16742 on: January 11, 2012, 10:48:58 pm »

Yeah, i noticed that it doesn't move up or down z levels, but it seems to be spreading across the whole level. I wouldn't mind it running its course, but at the fps im getting that could take hours if not days of just letting the game run. The stockpiles don't seem to be working, and the game is freezing after a few minutes.

Its a same too, because I had a dwarf score a killing blow even though 1/2 his body was melted.

Is there any way to just edit the fire out?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16743 on: January 11, 2012, 11:02:26 pm »

Is there any way to just edit the fire out?
DFhack can force rain or pour water. Maybe TEMPERATURE:OFF will also work.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16744 on: January 11, 2012, 11:05:22 pm »

You should be able to designate stockpiles as fire breaks and they will stop the fire from crossing them IIRC, which can quickly reduce the fire's potential area. No need for the stockpiles to actually hold anything, they just have to exist. I believe that suspended farm plots will do the same thing.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Emerald Salamander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16745 on: January 12, 2012, 07:15:45 am »

I probably sound like a huge noob when i ask these questions but i need them answered.
1.  I have a pile that has cages with goblins in them but how do i move them into a different spot without making a new pile?
2. I have a dead Dwarf corpse that no-one will pick up and put in the refuse pile. Why won't any one pick it up and move it?
"Therefore, I implore you, merry band of shit-for-brains midgets, to stop acting like idiots."

Emerald Salamander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16746 on: January 12, 2012, 07:19:24 am »

I probably sound like a huge noob when i ask these questions but i need them answered.
1.  I have a pile that has cages with goblins in them but how do i move them into a different spot without making a new pile?
2. I have a dead Dwarf corpse that no-one will pick up and put in the refuse pile. Why won't any one pick it up and move it?
"Therefore, I implore you, merry band of shit-for-brains midgets, to stop acting like idiots."

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #16747 on: January 12, 2012, 07:34:10 am »

1. Depends on what you want to do with them. To build a cage use b►j then x to select a specific cage.

2. Dead dwarves go to the 'corpse' stockpile. Ideally you should make, build, then designate a coffin/casket/sarcophagus for them, so they can rest in peace.

Jaylow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fleet
« Reply #16748 on: January 12, 2012, 01:02:59 pm »

i want a  place in my fort where only the nobels/count  come, is there a way to ban the slaves/worker dwarf from  entering  rooms
and letting  the ruling 1% to never see the worker dwarfs, or come to the food stock pile and wells of the working class?
History always has a few tricks up its frayed sleeve. It's been around a long time.
Creators aren't gods. They make places, which is quite hard. It's men that make gods. This explains a lot.
One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather.
This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.

Relapse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16749 on: January 12, 2012, 01:32:49 pm »

How can I view an injured dwarf's wounds?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16750 on: January 12, 2012, 01:51:30 pm »

Look at his Health screen.  Note that you will need a doctor to perform Diagnosis to see the exact list of injuries, rather than just the symptoms.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16751 on: January 12, 2012, 02:28:08 pm »

i want a  place in my fort where only the nobels/count  come, is there a way to ban the slaves/worker dwarf from  entering  rooms
and letting  the ruling 1% to never see the worker dwarfs, or come to the food stock pile and wells of the working class?

Well, you can create a burrow encompassing everything on the map EXCEPT those areas and assign all your non-noble dwarves to it. An easier way to do it would be to just use some locked doors, though. You can drop food and booze down to them from a level above by designating it for dumping and assigning a garbage dump next to a channel in the floor, or just stock it with a bunch of food and booze before they arrive- each dwarf will have four drinks and two meals per season.

Also, a question of my own: is there a way to keep dwarves from using soap for baths and cleaning and restrict it to hospital use only? I've got a soap stockpile in my hospital but the little shits keep wasting it.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 02:30:16 pm by Particleman »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16752 on: January 12, 2012, 06:48:23 pm »

Also, a question of my own: is there a way to keep dwarves from using soap for baths and cleaning and restrict it to hospital use only? I've got a soap stockpile in my hospital but the little shits keep wasting it.
Is it actually a stockpile? If so you instead want to place chests in your hospital and the dwarves should fill them with hospital goods including soap. I believe that soap that is stored in hospital chests is off-limits to non-medical dwarves, but I could be wrong. It will solve your problem if it works though.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Zaphod728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16753 on: January 12, 2012, 11:36:14 pm »

You should be able to designate stockpiles as fire breaks and they will stop the fire from crossing them IIRC, which can quickly reduce the fire's potential area. No need for the stockpiles to actually hold anything, they just have to exist. I believe that suspended farm plots will do the same thing.

The stockpiles seem to only hide the fire, if you move up one z level you can still see the fire. I waited long enough to see if the fire would move from a non-stockpile square to a stockpile, and it does. One of the problems is that i waited till the Titan that started the fire was near my fort, so the fire is fairly massive, and the game crashes pretty quick now. So even if it did stop expanding not much can be done. When you reclaim a fortress, the fire goes out, but your alerts are still active. The body of the monster that started everything seems to mysteriously disappeared :o.

Its ok, just gives me a reason to start a new more epic fortress.

Relapse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16754 on: January 13, 2012, 01:39:27 pm »

Can one capture and train Beak Dogs? So far they've slaughtered two caravans, leaving me with ample supplies.

Also what does the wiki mean that Realgar will boil in magma?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 02:28:13 pm by Relapse »
Pages: 1 ... 1115 1116 [1117] 1118 1119 ... 1178