Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1113 1114 [1115] 1116 1117 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123646 times)

Kalphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16710 on: January 08, 2012, 12:48:11 pm »

Can you build a farm on the soil layers listed on this page:  http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Soil without having to muddy the tiles?  Thanks!

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16711 on: January 08, 2012, 01:00:03 pm »

Can you build a farm on the soil layers listed on this page:  http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Soil without having to muddy the tiles?  Thanks!

yes, with the possible exception of the ocean floor types, BUT plants will only grow on soil if the terrain that holds this soil can grow those plants.

If you settle on a mountain, the outside of the mountain may have grass and soil - and you can place an outside farm.  But the game will not let you pick any plants to grow in that farm - because there are no mountain biome farmable plants.  In general, if you can see -any- shrubs and you are outside, then you can make a productive farm there - harvest many of those shrubs to find plants that definately will grow in that area.

If you are underground, in a place where light has never touched, you can build a farm without needing muddy tiles.  And any inside plants will grow, no matter what the outside terrain is.  Sadly, you cannot roof over some outside grass
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16712 on: January 08, 2012, 01:04:00 pm »

What causes my military dwarves to run outside my fort for a few days with either No Job or Cannot Follow Orders?

Any dwarf with No Job can go anywhere it pleases, subject only to the limits of physical terrain and obstacles.

It's been my experience that dwarves with No Jobs like to wander around in places they've recently been (in addition to their own bedroom, the statue garden, etc.).  So if your military dwarves were stationed outside, an off-duty squad member might decide to hang out there afterward.

Best cure seems to be building more statue gardens and zoos to draw the idle dwarves, as well as more work to prevent idleness.

Or, of course, magma.  That solves all the wandering, forever.

I've found that if my last order to my dwarves, before I let them go off duty by canceling the order, is to station in some sensible and appropriate area where I want dwarves to be, then I never seem to have that problem.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Kalphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16713 on: January 08, 2012, 01:15:50 pm »

yes, with the possible exception of the ocean floor types, BUT plants will only grow on soil if the terrain that holds this soil can grow those plants.

If you settle on a mountain, the outside of the mountain may have grass and soil - and you can place an outside farm.  But the game will not let you pick any plants to grow in that farm - because there are no mountain biome farmable plants.  In general, if you can see -any- shrubs and you are outside, then you can make a productive farm there - harvest many of those shrubs to find plants that definately will grow in that area.

If you are underground, in a place where light has never touched, you can build a farm without needing muddy tiles.  And any inside plants will grow, no matter what the outside terrain is.  Sadly, you cannot roof over some outside grass

Thank you.  Sorry to sound boggled...I'm mostly concerned with early inside farming...does this mean that you can only grow SPECIFIC underground plants in specific types of soil?

I'm looking at http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Plants and I see Wet Cavern listed for most of the beginning plant types I am interested in growing (IE: Plump Helmets/Quarry Bush), will any soil layer qualify?  Or does it have to be in a specific type such as Loam, Clay, ETC?

Thanks for the if you can harvest plants in a specific are - you can build a farm there comment, that makes outdoor farming a lot more comprehendable to me.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16714 on: January 08, 2012, 01:30:14 pm »

I'm looking at http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Plants and I see Wet Cavern listed for most of the beginning plant types I am interested in growing (IE: Plump Helmets/Quarry Bush), will any soil layer qualify?  Or does it have to be in a specific type such as Loam, Clay, ETC?
Wet cavern mean they can be found near underground lake, but the information there is WRONG because I looked at plump helmet and they can be found far away from lakes too. (dry = 2 cells or further IIRC) But for farming, as long as the farm are underground and it's either on dirt (any kind of soil) or muddied stones (farm on stones with some water on it, like 1-2) then you can plant them. Just try placing farms, read the tooltips and you'd get it immediately.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16715 on: January 08, 2012, 02:29:59 pm »

Thank you.  Sorry to sound boggled...I'm mostly concerned with early inside farming...does this mean that you can only grow SPECIFIC underground plants in specific types of soil?
No, underground crops can be grown in all soil types.
Aboveground crops can also be grown in all soil types, but not on a mountain biome.

Kalphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16716 on: January 08, 2012, 02:43:38 pm »

Excellent, thank you all.  Sounds like I am making farming overcomplicated.  I haven't seriously played since...three or four years worth of builds ago, and I haven't farmed since the 2D version, I think?  I was just using 31.12 the other day to find out that this was NOT the case, and you pretty much had to irrigate regardless of soil type.  My biggest headache is irrigation, and while I don't mind trying to learn to manage it at some point for FUN reasons, I'd much rather just get my farms up and running (And learn to manage OTHER aspects of the game) without having to worry about funneling water to a farm correctly (I'm not very good at making use of mechanic-produced machinery).  Your comments really covered all my questions on farming at this point, thank you.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16717 on: January 08, 2012, 02:46:01 pm »

In the newer versions you don't need to irrigate soil, just so you know.

htabdoolb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16718 on: January 08, 2012, 06:14:51 pm »

Does the quality level of cloth gathered by a moody dwarf affect the outcome/value of an artifact? Will an artifact made with masterwork cloth be more valuable than an artifact made with imported standard quality cloth? Does dye quality also affect this? Thanks.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16719 on: January 08, 2012, 06:23:18 pm »

Does the quality level of cloth gathered by a moody dwarf affect the outcome/value of an artifact? Will an artifact made with masterwork cloth be more valuable than an artifact made with imported standard quality cloth? Does dye quality also affect this? Thanks.
Yes, materials of greater value effect the value of the created artifact.

Kalphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16720 on: January 08, 2012, 06:47:05 pm »

I am having another weird problem.  I embarked in an interesting looking area where four water sources meet (I think one is called a stream and the other is a river), that seemed to meet all my requirements and is in a temperate area and had some interesting elevation.  It is not a mountainous binome.  On embarking, everything was frozen, snow covered and the game actually PUT my wagon ON one of the frozen rivers, so if it did thaw come a season change, I'd be in some trouble.

I am using LazyNewbie and the only other thing I did was give Kobolds the need to not eat and drink.  Should I actually be looking for a WARM area instead of temperate?  Kind of a bummer since the dwarves I had for the embark were REALLY good and I spent a lot of time putting my party together.  Any ideas why this happened so it doesn't repeat?

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16721 on: January 08, 2012, 06:53:27 pm »

I am having another weird problem.  I embarked in an interesting looking area where four water sources meet (I think one is called a stream and the other is a river), that seemed to meet all my requirements and is in a temperate area and had some interesting elevation.  It is not a mountainous binome.  On embarking, everything was frozen, snow covered and the game actually PUT my wagon ON one of the frozen rivers, so if it did thaw come a season change, I'd be in some trouble.

I am using LazyNewbie and the only other thing I did was give Kobolds the need to not eat and drink.  Should I actually be looking for a WARM area instead of temperate?  Kind of a bummer since the dwarves I had for the embark were REALLY good and I spent a lot of time putting my party together.  Any ideas why this happened so it doesn't repeat?

Your wagon will land in the CENTER of your embark zone.

Temperate areas won't be frozen all-year round, so make sure you get that wagon off the ice quickly.

A WARM area will never snow or dry up. If you want to be extra careful, make sure there's some distance between your embark and the nearest temperate zone.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16722 on: January 08, 2012, 08:20:15 pm »

You can tweak advanced world gen params to your liking. I believe mine is [TEMPERATURE:25:25:0:0] which's 25 min, 25 max and 0 variation in both directions. World generated are warm all the way to about 2/3 the temperate band. and are never scorching in tropical regions.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Yone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16723 on: January 09, 2012, 01:00:44 am »

Is it possible for your civilization to die out while you are playing? I was getting migrants and dwarf caravans like normal for around 10 years (sometimes I lowered the population cap to stop migrants, but it's back up now) and the dwarfs had a monarch (and some others) listed in the civilizations menu. But now it says "This land has no important leaders", no caravan or liaison came in the fall, and twice I've gotten the "your fortress attracted no migrants this season" message. Have all the other dwarfs in this civ died? Is there a way I can find out for sure?

Unrelated question: Is the only way dwarfs will wear clothes after theirs fall apart is if I draft them and assign them clothes?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16724 on: January 09, 2012, 01:07:39 am »

Unrelated question: Is the only way dwarfs will wear clothes after theirs fall apart is if I draft them and assign them clothes?

Unsure about the rest of your post, but my understanding is that yes, this is how the current game works.  Supposedly Toady disabled picking up new clothes to fix an FPS problem or something.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 1113 1114 [1115] 1116 1117 ... 1178