Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1110 1111 [1112] 1113 1114 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123733 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16665 on: January 01, 2012, 11:02:36 pm »

I have just had my fortress become the Mountainhome of my civilization and the queen came to live there.  Isn't there a way I can stop playing as this fortress and play Adventurer/Fortress mode on the same world with the Mountainhome still operating?

So far as I'm aware, the only way to play another fort or in adventure mode is to abandon the current fort.  I have no idea what this does to the mountainhome status if you're currently the mountainhome, though.

are invaders / immigrants generated ad infinitum or there's an end for them?

I've read reports that invaders are actually taken from the population pools of the civilization that they come from, and that these are not regenerated after world gen.  I've also read that people have had goblin civilizations siege you to the point of extinction, but I've certainly never done so.

Supposedly immigrants are generated on the spot, and so don't suffer from this problem.  If your parent civilization is extinct though, supposedly you only get the first two immigrant waves.  Again, never tested this.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16666 on: January 02, 2012, 12:09:42 am »

I had a fort about a year ago that had more than the entire goblin world population (according to world export) sitting in a cage stockpile. So no, goblins never run out.
Dunno about immigrants, you could do science with a fort. Setup a killer entry to your force, record the number of migrants that meet their demise, and when you end up having to turn an entire z-level into a mass graveyard we'll have an answer.

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16667 on: January 02, 2012, 02:04:57 am »

Migrants stop coming when you kill them. I think that only the first two migrant waves are generated on the spot.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #16668 on: January 02, 2012, 02:09:55 am »

Migrants stop coming when you kill them. I think that only the first two migrant waves are generated on the spot.

Fact: the first two migrant waves are permanently hard-coded in.
Migrants stop coming IF your fortress suffers a high death toll. That includes death of ONLY migrants. It is speculated that they will only stop IF a merchant caravan leaves the map with information on your fort.

If parent civ is extinct {Check the Legends/map} then you will ONLY get the first two waves of migrants.

You can kill off your civilization by killing off dwarves in your fort and letting migrants migrate to you. This may take years though but thoroughly proven in legendary forts.

Justiceface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16669 on: January 02, 2012, 01:04:00 pm »

I have a question about the fonts used in Dwarf Fortress.  I'm trying to view the language files in the raws directory, and I've gone through several programs trying to find one that will display the accented characters correctly with no success.  I'm using Ubuntu 11.04, have unifont installed and can see all but two of the words in the last post on this page (http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-945843.html), but the lang files always show me either those hex boxes or some other 'I can't display that character' emblems.

Can anyone help me out?
If you have okay wrestling, you can stab someone in the lower body, making their guts pop out. If you then wrestle and pinch the guts, you can sever them. By then, the guy's probably unconscious. If he's not, strangle him until he is and cave in his skull with the guts.

No, really.

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
« Reply #16670 on: January 03, 2012, 02:10:49 am »

So, I'm being repeatedly spammed every second with "Urist Mc<insert random job here> cancels Place Item in Stockpile: Item inaccessible". I have no idea what item they are trying to haul, and it's driving me up the wall.

1) Is there any way to check what item it is they're trying to haul from the message alone?

2) If not, is there a way to disable the message about inaccessible stuff? Anything to relieve this endless stream of red text at the bottom of my screen!
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #16671 on: January 03, 2012, 02:14:44 am »

So, I'm being repeatedly spammed every second with "Urist Mc<insert random job here> cancels Place Item in Stockpile: Item inaccessible". I have no idea what item they are trying to haul, and it's driving me up the wall.
First, do you have a burrow designated?
Second, do you have walled parts in your fort or ramps/stairs across z-levels that do not meet?

If the first, then remove the dwarves from the burrow OR turn their hauling labors off.

If second, find that dwarf, find what he is trying to haul (press 'v' then 'i' to see) then find the appropriate stockpile. If z-level difference, then find any passage linking them and straighten it out.

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16672 on: January 03, 2012, 02:56:49 am »

No burrows active, and it's literally EVERY DWARF in the fortress with hauling enabled, which is why there's so much spam. Every time one gets cancelled, another dwarf immediately picks it up again. I have a suspicion that it's something in the gaves like a blowgun from a slaughtered tribe that can't be reached, but I can't find anything. Dwarves seem to be able to go everywhere just fine, as the military will move around the areas without problem and dwarves will go to areas where I haven't got any burrows, so yeah.
Give a donation.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16673 on: January 03, 2012, 05:05:22 am »

I'll throw in another vote for something in the caverns.  I ended up getting tons of spam after I breached the caverns, and my dwarves rushed off to pilfer everything from the first tribe they could find.

Eventually I think they stole everything they could, and I started getting spam about harvesting cave spider silk.  I had to turn off silk gathering to get them to knock it off.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16674 on: January 03, 2012, 06:25:22 pm »

Aha! I've found the problem. In the most recent FB, a giant spider who arrived with every limb broken and heavy bleeding, it had passed through a village. I have two refuse jobs, for storing a Bat Man upper right leg and lower right leg, which is probably in an isolated cavern area that was discovered before the way to get in was discovered.

It took a helluva lot of frame-by-frame, but if I forbid them, it SHOULD work.

EDIT: Didn't work, but once I took my commander and his most trusted lieutenant and send them into the cavern as an expedition, they found the tribe and slaughtered the inhabitants and peace was restored once more!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 06:50:52 pm by Lordraymond »
Give a donation.

Ripolix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16675 on: January 03, 2012, 08:27:03 pm »

Can i use chests in the hospital instead of bags?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16676 on: January 03, 2012, 09:02:24 pm »

Absolutely.  I only use chests in hospitals, and I've never ad a problem with the dwarves not storing hospital supplies.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16677 on: January 03, 2012, 09:16:03 pm »

That's... what I have always been doing.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #16678 on: January 04, 2012, 12:57:24 am »

Pitting:

My cage traps (intended for goblins) are picking up all manner of animals such as badger men, moose men, panda men, and regular animals as well.
Since there is no easy way (hello! They are in a cage, yet if you assign military to kill them they just stand there looking lost - stick your dang spear between the bars idiot!) to kill them I set up a pit like the "mass pit" set up on the wiki. I got down 9 z's before I hit cavern ceiling. I pitted one badger man as a test and while it got pretty beat up it survived.

I reeeaaaallly don't want to terraform the cavern and risk my miners attracting all sorts of unpleasantness by channeling the pit lower (it's one of this high caverns where the floor is like 10 z levels below with huge columns going all the way up, so not ideal for terraforming). With some exemplary feats of engineering and some luck I *could* do it, but it's last resort.

However, I didn't take out all the rocks at the bottom of the pit (hundreds of them due to the channeling. I heard if something falls on something else (it was in reference to dwarfs or other enemies) then they act as if the fall didn't even happen. Could my loose stone be "cushioning" the fall of the creatures I'm pitting?

I really need the cages before the first main siege inevitably comes (I'm in early fall of 3rd year, so it's coming...) as I have no military save one leather armored axedwarf (I was waiting to get magma before forging in earnest) and for the same reason no metal weapon traps. So, aside from helping me with my pit, any other *easy* ways of disposing of this vermin would be appreciated. Building the cages, connecting them to levers, and then releasing them is not my definition of easy. :)

Thanks!

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16679 on: January 04, 2012, 01:58:41 am »

Can anyone help me out?

Did you want those accented characters or not want them?  I did the remove accented character procedure that Jackard posted, in another thread.  On wiki it is found here.  http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Utility:Accent_Removal

If ya don't wanna do his steps, ya could download the unaccented four language .txt files from DFFD.  They are there. Use them in the raws, and rename ext of originals to .old or something.  However if you want to learn how to get accents to show up with graphics tilesets, I'm affraid your beating a dead horse.  As I think the graphics tilesets use those extended characters as models, instead of accented chars.  Like for more advanced soldiers, ugly monsters, etc..  Ea tileset does it differently I think.

I noticed in Lazy Newb Pack, 93, the latest one that was posted a few days ago, that accents were left on.  Mr Yuck face appears on Knutor.  I didn't notice them in LNP 91, did you? *shrug*  Kinda ugly with them in and Graphics on, makes it hard to read stuff.  I had the same problem you had.  Fixed today.  It was nice figuring out how to use InfoRapid.  I don't suppose that I'll use this again, unless I start a job at the United Nations, tho. 

Sincerely,
Knutor

Happy New Year!
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.
Pages: 1 ... 1110 1111 [1112] 1113 1114 ... 1178