Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1109 1110 [1111] 1112 1113 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123729 times)

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16650 on: December 29, 2011, 07:13:39 pm »

Glass spikes and axe blades are decent. Discs and corkscrews are great. Avoid glass balls, they're worthless (took atleast 4 layers of masterwork 10x  spiked ball traps to kill anything at all when I tested).

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16651 on: December 30, 2011, 01:05:50 am »

Question. What would be better, an artifact iron chain leggings with diorite and limestone decoration or high quality adamantine greaves?
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16652 on: December 30, 2011, 01:09:38 am »

Decorations don't do anything for defence and I'd guess the adamantine. If you really want to know, you can always test it in arena mode.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

InfiniVide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16653 on: December 30, 2011, 01:54:56 am »

I'm getting close to having my fortress become the capital of my civilization and having the queen come to live there.  My question is what happens when the queen dies?  Is another dwarf appointed to fill the vacancy?

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
« Reply #16654 on: December 30, 2011, 02:10:25 am »

So, I enjoy digging deep shafts, but without click mining this is quite the task. Normally I just click mine, but for some reason any embark tiles beyond the base two seem to lack the ability to designate via clicking, nothing will happen period.

Is there any way around this?
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16655 on: December 30, 2011, 02:34:43 am »

I believe d-h will designate a shaft.

backora900

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16656 on: December 30, 2011, 08:22:12 am »

When I set a pressure plate to "Citizens do not trigger" and set a weight range from minimal to maximal possible will it trigger on immigrants, caravans, liaisn, ambushers and anything else. Or is there a way how to set it to "only goblins triggers"?

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16657 on: December 30, 2011, 08:34:48 am »

When I set a pressure plate to "Citizens do not trigger" and set a weight range from minimal to maximal possible will it trigger on immigrants, caravans, liaisn, ambushers and anything else. Or is there a way how to set it to "only goblins triggers"?
I don't think it will trigger on immigrants or caravans, but it should trigger on anything not listed as part of your civ.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16658 on: December 30, 2011, 08:59:23 am »

Question. What would be better, an artifact iron chain leggings with diorite and limestone decoration or high quality adamantine greaves?

@jamesadelong, 

The adamantine is better.  A dorf can still operate without legs.  So the limited covering of the greaves shouldn't effect things, if things go south.  It'd just make him even slower to respond, but since response times vary, when orders are given, I cannot see that being a penalty.

I'm kind of hoping someday that Toady, combines high boots and low boots into solerets.  And just calls leather and cloth foot gear, boots.  Boots, and be done with it.  I can't see a dorf wearing socks or shoes anymore than I can see them wearing sneakers or stilleto heals. 

Solerets are a 1400-1500 armor piece, that covers the foot.  It fits the time line, I believe.  Bear claw decorated Gauntlets and sharp pointed solerets would be a fantasy come true for an disarmed fighter. 

I'd like to see some logic in the combat system, aswell, but that's a different topic.  No helmeted dwarf should be able to 'bite'.   Not if he's wearing a worthwhile helm, anyway.  If your jaw is hanging out, and teeth showing, you might aswell go into combat with your pecker hanging out.

Sincerely,
Knutor

"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16659 on: December 30, 2011, 09:47:30 am »

I'm pretty sure the helmets in vanilla DF are open face.  At least I don't think they cover any part of the face, you need a hood for that, I think.

Not that I would disagree with having the option for great helms or something that do give full coverage.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16660 on: December 30, 2011, 03:35:41 pm »

Pressure plates set to "Citizens do not trigger" will trigger for invaders and wild animals, but will not trigger for immigrants, caravans, liaisons, or diplomats.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

starshard0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16661 on: January 01, 2012, 12:54:46 am »

If I mass reclaim and area with traps, will the traps stop functioning properly?

Edit: Does this apply to dumping and melting as well. Basically I want to clean out my spike pit, while melting everything useful and dumping the rest.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 01:08:36 am by starshard0 »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16662 on: January 01, 2012, 01:13:00 am »

Traps don't care if they're marked for dumping, or melting, or forbidden or reclaimed.  They'll keep working in any case.  Your dwarves won't clean them out if they're forbidden, but otherwise it won't matter.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

InfiniVide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16663 on: January 01, 2012, 09:47:18 pm »

I have just had my fortress become the Mountainhome of my civilization and the queen came to live there.  Isn't there a way I can stop playing as this fortress and play Adventurer/Fortress mode on the same world with the Mountainhome still operating?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16664 on: January 01, 2012, 10:57:53 pm »

are invaders / immigrants generated ad infinitum or there's an end for them?
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.
Pages: 1 ... 1109 1110 [1111] 1112 1113 ... 1178