Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1108 1109 [1110] 1111 1112 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123749 times)

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16635 on: December 27, 2011, 12:54:43 pm »

@yohyzo - I believe they need a path to the trolls to shoot them more frequently.

What's a good way to induce scars without mortally wounding my dorfs?

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16636 on: December 27, 2011, 05:07:18 pm »

@yohyzo - I believe they need a path to the trolls to shoot them more frequently.

What's a good way to induce scars without mortally wounding my dorfs?

Close them in a small room with a quantum food stockpile (prepared food and alcohol), and a turkey hen on a nest box.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

starshard0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16637 on: December 27, 2011, 05:11:22 pm »

Is any armor effective against shots from a elite bow/crossbow goblin?

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16638 on: December 27, 2011, 05:36:13 pm »

I believe so, but I think bow goblins will aim for exposed body parts.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16639 on: December 27, 2011, 08:07:20 pm »

If that's true (and I suspect it is), then that would mean that using hoods, mail shirts and cloaks should help protect your dwarves.  I don't recall the specifics, but those offer some protection to just about every body part on the dwarf when combined with plate armor.

Someone will probably come in and give a more detailed answer now, but I've seen a freaking leather hood protect an enemy from being hacked with an axe for months.  Against arrows I would expect it to be at least a little effective.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

utilitarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16640 on: December 27, 2011, 11:23:14 pm »

What's the best way to construct the second floor in two-story(or more) buildings? The way I'm doing it(building and re-building a row of ladders) is quite slow. Is there a faster way?

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #16641 on: December 28, 2011, 02:35:17 am »

What's the best way to construct the second floor in two-story(or more) buildings? The way I'm doing it(building and re-building a row of ladders) is quite slow. Is there a faster way?

On the floor below, in the middle of the room, build an up/down staircase. (You may have to remove a floor-block, if you've built one in the selected space.) After it's built, go up a z level and build another one on top of it. Once that is built, you can designate large rectangles of floor for construction on the new floor, as long one of the designated tiles is touching a side of the staircase.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16642 on: December 28, 2011, 03:25:15 pm »

For building multiple-story buildings, I use stairs for the individual floors, and then I do this:
I put a ramp in place of a wall so I can get up on the roof, and then replace the ramp after I'm done with the roof. Diagram below.
W=Wall +=Floor ^=Ramp >=Stairs
Code: [Select]
WWWWW
W>++W
^+++W
WWWWW
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Zaroua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16643 on: December 29, 2011, 07:20:30 am »

Is any armor effective against shots from a elite bow/crossbow goblin?

In theory, yes. In practice, no. Dead dwarves everywhere. And for the record, don't send out Dwarves to fight mounted crossbow/bow users. Full Masterwork Candy with professional+ in dodge/armor/shield will get killed really quickly because the mounts split up and run away from your dwarves while shooting. Even if your dwarves outrun the mounts, they'll still have to chase down each mount individually while each enemy shoots at full speed.

My turn: I fought a FB with some nasty poison cloud, killed it easy but my squad of still green recruits all died. The chain of events: get hit by poison cloud, kill FB, run to hospital as symptoms start showing up. Rest. Get diagnosed by dabbling Diagnoser. Get up instantly and die less than 10 squares from the bed they just left. My question is this: did my recruits die to an incompetent diagnosis or would a more accomplished diagnoser have been able to maybe save them. I know that they were dead anyways and wouldn't have lasted long enough for treatment, but I'm wondering if the (in)competence of the dwarf who did the diagnosis had any effect on my recruits getting up even though they were blind and suffocating.

I'm having a problem with my marksdwarves. I put some trolls behind fortifications for my dwarves to train on but only one of them actually shoots. Most of them use the archery targets fine though.

Unskilled marksmen (of any race) need to stand directly adjacent to a fortification to shoot through it. They also need to have a quiver, appropriate ammo and line of sight.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 07:30:00 am by Zaroua »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16644 on: December 29, 2011, 10:25:05 am »

Your Diagnoser probably told the dwarves that there was nothing he could do for them.  Which was true - there's no treatment dwarves can apply for having your lungs rot out from the inside.  With Diagnosis no longer required and no treatment pending, the dying dwarf just got up and walked away, and then died. I've seen similar happen when experimenting with inhaled poisons that target internal organs - the afflicted dwarf insists on getting a diagnosis, then walks away with massive internal damage because there's no treatment scheduled.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16645 on: December 29, 2011, 11:11:12 am »

Your Diagnoser probably told the dwarves that there was nothing he could do for them.  Which was true - there's no treatment dwarves can apply for having your lungs rot out from the inside.  With Diagnosis no longer required and no treatment pending, the dying dwarf just got up and walked away, and then died. I've seen similar happen when experimenting with inhaled poisons that target internal organs - the afflicted dwarf insists on getting a diagnosis, then walks away with massive internal damage because there's no treatment scheduled.
Urist McDoctor: It seems you have been inflicted with deadly, incurable venoms. You'd probably die painfully in the next hour. I'm very sorry but there's nothing I can do.
Urist McPatient: Very well, I shall get back to work.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16646 on: December 29, 2011, 11:20:49 am »

Similar things happened to me, actually, except my FB problem was a matter of Dwarves not wearing shoes as they walked through its pools and pools of blood.

Dwarves - mostly children - died left and right, and all I could do was wonder what was happening until I managed to see that several of them had nerve damage and thoroughly wounded feet.  Just feet.

Then, when they died, they had no feet.

They'd go to the hospital, the doctor would look at them, and then they'd get back to work with their rotting feet.  Then at some point they'd just go nuts, run for the hospital while trailing blood behind them, and die before they got there.
My entire fortress was dying because their feet were slowly rotting off.

I love this game. :D
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

backora900

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16647 on: December 29, 2011, 04:27:00 pm »

I have a question about wepon traps.
Does it matter what material is used for weapons in the trap? And if does how good is green glass compared to wood, copper, bronze, iron or steel?

Also what kind of weapons are good against ambushers?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16648 on: December 29, 2011, 04:46:25 pm »

I have a question about wepon traps.
Does it matter what material is used for weapons in the trap? And if does how good is green glass compared to wood, copper, bronze, iron or steel?

Also what kind of weapons are good against ambushers?
Yes, weapon material is important for weapons in traps.

Glass should be adequate against lightly armored or naked enemies, but bronze, iron, and steel should definately be superior.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16649 on: December 29, 2011, 05:05:42 pm »

To add my experience to that answer, I've found that weapon traps with 2 green glass discs work wonderfully for unarmored targets, and they're very easy to make.

If you've got surplus weapon grade metal though, it will be superior.  In my last embark that had copper, I made a lot of traps with 2 copper discs, and even that was enough to seriously mess up any goblin's day.  Apparently they don't armor the body parts that the traps frequently target.

And the traps will absolutely wreck any mounts they ride into battle.  Well, the smaller mounts anyway.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 1108 1109 [1110] 1111 1112 ... 1178