Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1107 1108 [1109] 1110 1111 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123750 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16620 on: December 23, 2011, 05:18:50 pm »

I don't think so. Cave material is determined by the type of stone that it is surrounded by, so you get obsidian if that happens to be the layer and you can get other types of stones if they are the main layer.

Thanks Roy.  I was trying to find a subtle cheat for a little help in these hard regions.  I'm gonna try and pit evil vs good, in a split region and see if I can leech off the two..  Maybe I'll get to see the fabled Unilich, an undead Unicorn, if I pick the right embark 4x4.  8 savage evil and 8 savage good.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16621 on: December 25, 2011, 03:51:28 am »

I have been planning a steam setup for a future fortress (once I get my new computer and Deon makes the Phoebus version of the newest release of Genesis mod). I'm wondering if this would work. What I want is 3 tile wide corridors branching off from my 3x3 main staircase on each level, then getting some water source at the top and a drain at the bottom, in a way that makes an artificial waterfall that produces constant mist on each floor and scrubs my passing dwarves clean and happy.
WFFFW
WGFGW
WGFGW
WGFGW
FSSSF

F-floor, W-wall, G-floor grate on channeled out tile, S- staircase.

Will there be enough mist?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16622 on: December 25, 2011, 04:47:13 am »

I have a no booze challenge fort and one of my dwarves got chained down for throwing tantrum. Apparently no one want to give him water. Is this normal?
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16623 on: December 25, 2011, 10:17:37 am »

"no booze challenge"

eeeew.  Those poor, poor dwarves.

Do you have empty buckets and a usable well?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #16624 on: December 25, 2011, 10:39:08 am »

I have a no booze challenge fort and one of my dwarves got chained down for throwing tantrum. Apparently no one want to give him water. Is this normal?
Poor little guys...Are most of your dwarves on duty? As giving water/food is a low priority on their scale.

This too.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16625 on: December 25, 2011, 10:05:22 pm »

Poor little guys...Are most of your dwarves on duty? As giving water/food is a low priority on their scale.
I have some dwarves specifically set aside to give him water. They stand around with "no job" for weeks.

I have buckets but no wells. They have been taking water for the wounded from murky pools since forever. Is a well needed?

When he got dehydrated, I removed the chain so he can go get his drink. DF crashed soon after, not sure if related :(
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 10:07:50 pm by rephikul »
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16626 on: December 26, 2011, 01:59:12 am »

Will there be enough mist?
I don't think you need the Grates.  And I found if you make a teenie exit whole at top of waterfall, and a long LONG drop, you'll get the most splatter, mist off the floor for your droplets.  As long as you keep that top hole tiny, and a 2x1 or larger drain off, you'll have shallow, brook level run off at the bottom, and not need any channels either.

Its all a matter of design.  Satisfy your opening port size with your exiting port size.  Another words..

If exiting port is larger, then water at bottom of falls will be shallow enough to pass. 
If opening port is larger, then water will get deep, and drown um.

I've gotten 2x3x3 mists, to form from a fall of 4 zones, out of a 1x1 opening port.

Sincerely,
Knutor
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 02:01:16 am by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16627 on: December 26, 2011, 02:07:36 am »

I have had similar problems, crashes when removing that chain, I no longer do that.  They are chained there for a reason, I guess.  What I do is make a food pile within chain's reach.  And a bed.  The prisoners never seem to use the food.  A chained dorf does use a bed, however.  Odd, huh?  They are not allowed to get fed, I guess.  If they are getting punished.  I've never kept one alive for the long duration imprisonments, myself either.  My repeat offenders usually die of hunger/thirst, too.  Since its so borked up, I have been restarting the game when fortress gets that large.  I might go further into game, once a patch arrives, til then, seems useless to lose my broker, on illegal trades that ARE NOT illegal.  Know what I mean?  Mandate Culling is on, hows he break their laws?

Idea: Oh, it might because they cannot reach a table with their food... hmm.  I'll try adding a table to prison cell, and get back to you.

Sincerely,
Knutor

edit: idea added.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 02:09:25 am by knutor »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16628 on: December 26, 2011, 08:55:48 am »

I have been keeping prisoners alive with food and drink stockpiles adjacent to the chain without having any of them starve or die of thirst. They don't seem to need a table to eat.  Make sure that the stockpile tiles they can reach actually contain food they can eat, I set the prison stockpile to only accept prepared meals so it doesn't fill up with raw pig tails or something like that.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

starshard0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16629 on: December 26, 2011, 01:39:56 pm »

Is pig iron a decent weapon material? My weaponsmith just made a short sword.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #16630 on: December 26, 2011, 01:43:39 pm »

Is pig iron a decent weapon material? My weaponsmith just made a short sword.

It's not great, but it's not terrible. If memory serves, it is either just below or equivalent to Iron.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16631 on: December 26, 2011, 04:32:59 pm »

Is it from a mood (can't remember if pig iron is normally a valid weapon material or not).  If so, it should be pretty good because those get attack bonuses of some sort (accuracy I think, but maybe penetration too).

Against goblins it should be very effective at least.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

starshard0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16632 on: December 26, 2011, 09:52:34 pm »

Is there any reason to implement a justice system? It seems like all it does is make my dwarves angry.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16633 on: December 26, 2011, 10:03:50 pm »

Is there any reason to implement a justice system? It seems like all it does is make my dwarves angry.

Because it adds more challenge and variety to the game.  When you're at the point where mere survival is no longer challenging, adding a fully functional Justice system can make things more interesting.

yohyzo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16634 on: December 27, 2011, 11:25:37 am »

I'm having a problem with my marksdwarves. I put some trolls behind fortifications for my dwarves to train on but only one of them actually shoots. Most of them use the archery targets fine though.
Pages: 1 ... 1107 1108 [1109] 1110 1111 ... 1178