Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1106 1107 [1108] 1109 1110 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123789 times)

Relapse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16605 on: December 22, 2011, 04:20:33 am »

I channeled into the ground to make a well near my hospital, now my miner seems to be stuck in the tunnel he made. My other miner is in a mood. How can I get him out, for some reason I can't designate any stairs to be built.
What exanxtly do you mean by "can't designate any stairs to be built"?
Do you mean that you can designate them, but no dwarf will do the job, or that the designation won't show up at all?

The designation won't show up at all. The hole I dug is a 3x3 with a down slope in the middle space. I try and add up stair, up/down stair and/or up slope to any of the surrounding spots, it lets me try and designate an area, but then the designation doesn't show up.

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16606 on: December 22, 2011, 05:04:56 am »

I channeled into the ground to make a well near my hospital, now my miner seems to be stuck in the tunnel he made. My other miner is in a mood. How can I get him out, for some reason I can't designate any stairs to be built.
What exanxtly do you mean by "can't designate any stairs to be built"?
Do you mean that you can designate them, but no dwarf will do the job, or that the designation won't show up at all?

The designation won't show up at all. The hole I dug is a 3x3 with a down slope in the middle space. I try and add up stair, up/down stair and/or up slope to any of the surrounding spots, it lets me try and designate an area, but then the designation doesn't show up.

You can't dig any of those things unless there's rock (not floor) directly above the tile. Try either constructing some stairs or designating into the side of the area.

what does the intro film of df mean?
it's a silly question but it is tormenting me:
is it about a dwarf who is digging, and then at a certain point makes a hole and something bright and red hits him.
now, is that red thing: magma? fire breath of a dragon? unleashed  !!FUN!! ?
U_U

I'm pretty sure it's meant to be !!HFS!!.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

Relapse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16607 on: December 22, 2011, 07:26:31 am »

Thanks fergus, that got it done.

My next question is, when trading, is it bad to trade away masterwork crafted goods? I read somewhere that if masterworks leave the area that the dwarf that made them get bad thoughts, is this true?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16608 on: December 22, 2011, 08:04:28 am »

Thanks fergus, that got it done.

My next question is, when trading, is it bad to trade away masterwork crafted goods? I read somewhere that if masterworks leave the area that the dwarf that made them get bad thoughts, is this true?
when they get stolen/destroyed, yes. Sold, no. Crafts are best to sell away, you dont really need them.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

TheTinCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16609 on: December 22, 2011, 08:37:47 am »

Does walking through a brook clean a dwarf?
What makes me wonder is due to the fact that dwarves don't actually get wet when walking over a brook tile...

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16610 on: December 22, 2011, 08:43:39 am »

When a dwarf walks 'through' a brook, they're actually walking over it.  The water is one Z-level down, so the dwarf doesn't touch it.  So they don't get wet, and don't get cleaned.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16611 on: December 22, 2011, 03:31:27 pm »

How do I give my injured dwarf water?

1. I've got a well
2. I've got empty buckets
3. I have practically all my dwarfs with "Healthcare" on.

He is injured on his right lower arm, and it says he is Unconcious. He doesn't have the the words Thirsty in his wounds menu anymore.

My question is, I don't have a hospital or any doctors, will a dwarf with the "Healthcare" labour on grab a bucket and give him some water? or do I need to assign or click something?

If it doesn't show that he's Thirsty, I suppose you've already given him water.
Health care usually just happens.  If you don't have a hospital, a Dwarf will rest in their own bed (or not at all, sometimes.  I've had injured Dwarves ignore injury until I finish my hospital, at which point they suddenly rush off to rest).  If they don't have their own bed, they might choose one at random (or, again, not at all).
Any Dwarf with the Feed Patients/Prisoners labor might grab a bucket and go help them all on their own, but it's a slightly low-priority job so sometimes it takes them a little while.
Careful of lye production, as it tends to eat up your empty buckets until you do some crazy work-around or start up a milking industry.

Does walking through a brook clean a dwarf?
What makes me wonder is due to the fact that dwarves don't actually get wet when walking over a brook tile...
The top of the brook is actually a sort of floor.  It can be removed with the "channel" designation.  In fact, you have to channel your brook out in order to set up water wheels on it.  I suppose if you do this for the entire brook then you'd need to then channel ramps to get in and out of it.  Then your Dwarves could get wet, get clean, and drown because they're terrible swimmers.  Or get eaten by crocodiles.  Or carp.  Or suddenly get frozen into blocks of ice when the river freezes.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 03:39:36 pm by HammerHand »
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

heritage727

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16612 on: December 22, 2011, 04:41:07 pm »

So I have my first tantrum . . . and it's my Duke. Is this better or worse than it being a regular dwarf? If I have my military take care of him, will the populace be glad to be rid of a tyrant, or will they be driven to a frenzy of sadness and rage at the loss of their beloved leader?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16613 on: December 22, 2011, 05:05:23 pm »

They probably won't give a crap.  If he has lots of friends, that could be a problem, but unless he was your mayor before or something, you're probably fine.

Do note that you won't be able to replace him if he dies.  If he has heirs, I think you can keep the royalty going, but if he's single that's that.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16614 on: December 22, 2011, 05:06:10 pm »

So I have my first tantrum . . . and it's my Duke. Is this better or worse than it being a regular dwarf? If I have my military take care of him, will the populace be glad to be rid of a tyrant, or will they be driven to a frenzy of sadness and rage at the loss of their beloved leader?
Check his relationships page.
If he has a lot of friends, you may be in for a tantrum spiral.

NINJA'D

heritage727

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16615 on: December 22, 2011, 06:11:01 pm »

Actually, the Squad menu wouldn't let me target him. It's just as well. He wandered around for a while trying to pick a fight, but all he did was throw a punch at a cavy boar (and missed). Then he came out of the tantrum. He's still miserable, but he's eating. That was hardly any Fun at all.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16616 on: December 22, 2011, 06:24:29 pm »

You can't kill order a tantruming dwarf.  You just have to hope he punches an armed dwarf and gets justice served in return, or he eventually goes insane so you can kill order him.

Keep him miserable long enough and either will happen eventually.  Could take a while though, I was torturing my baroness for many months before I got bored with trying to make her go insane.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16617 on: December 22, 2011, 09:21:09 pm »

Actually, the Squad menu wouldn't let me target him. It's just as well. He wandered around for a while trying to pick a fight, but all he did was throw a punch at a cavy boar (and missed). Then he came out of the tantrum. He's still miserable, but he's eating. That was hardly any Fun at all.
Ah, it seems we confused "tantruming" with one if the insane moods.
If a dwarf stays unhappy enough they will go melancholy (suicidal), stark raving mad (stripping and running around till they starve), or berserk (hostile to everything).
An insane dwarf is not curable, and will likely die shortly.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16618 on: December 22, 2011, 11:37:16 pm »

I raised the caves not in the mountains, up to 500.  Will they always be generated from obsidian?

Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16619 on: December 23, 2011, 12:27:03 pm »

I don't think so. Cave material is determined by the type of stone that it is surrounded by, so you get obsidian if that happens to be the layer and you can get other types of stones if they are the main layer.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 1106 1107 [1108] 1109 1110 ... 1178