Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1102 1103 [1104] 1105 1106 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123841 times)

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16545 on: December 14, 2011, 08:56:22 pm »

For the clay collection spot, it's best to use squares adjacent to natural clay walls that you plan on leaving untouched. Same with sand.
Collection tasks on repeat always reuse the exact same tile to collect from, even if you change your collection zones around. The tasks also use the zone only for standing, and actually collect from an adjacent tile. You can collect through floor grates too if you don't mind the look.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16546 on: December 14, 2011, 10:38:52 pm »

Okay, I have about 10 trolls and a giant just sort of sitting around in cages.

I want to use them in traps, but every time I try to put them into another cage, they break free, kill the poor bastard who went to move them, then get caught in the cage traps I have set up just in case that happens.

I've seen lots of other people use these beasts by moving them from one cage to another, or into pits. What am I doing wrong?
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16547 on: December 14, 2011, 10:41:37 pm »

Okay, I have about 10 trolls and a giant just sort of sitting around in cages.

I want to use them in traps, but every time I try to put them into another cage, they break free, kill the poor bastard who went to move them, then get caught in the cage traps I have set up just in case that happens.

I've seen lots of other people use these beasts by moving them from one cage to another, or into pits. What am I doing wrong?
Don't move them to another cage, just [ b ]uild the cage where you want them to go.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16548 on: December 14, 2011, 10:43:25 pm »

The only creatures that can actually be moved safely over a distance are captured goblin invaders, everything else will break free. What you need to do instead is simply build the cage that you want them in where you want it in the first place, instead of attempting to move them into an already built cage. The drawback is that you can only have one creature per cage, but it works well enough in most cases. you might also consider looking into mass pitting on the wiki as well.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16549 on: December 15, 2011, 04:02:26 pm »

I've got a hundred dwarves and the mountainhome wishes to make me a barony-- they won't let me negotiate for more goods until I appoint someone! Is there a quick way to look over my dwarves' preferences, or should I just appoint someone I like/at random?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16550 on: December 15, 2011, 04:07:38 pm »

(u) and scroll through your dwarfs with (z) (entr) to see who is nice, use dwarf therapist to see which dwarfs you'd rather sacrifice if they get unreasonable, and whether they'll be unreasonable
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16551 on: December 15, 2011, 04:12:27 pm »

The first time the liaison offers to make your fort a Barony, decline the offer.  The liaison will depart, but return next year and make the offer again.  Take that time to look at the personality screens of all your dwarves and see who has preferences for materials and items you can easily make with local materials.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

htabdoolb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16552 on: December 15, 2011, 06:05:51 pm »

I'm trying to trap a wide variety of the vermin inhabiting my current fortress, but my trappers seem to prefer to patrol only a single stockpile deep inside my fortress. The stockpile they all cluster around isn't even a food stockpile, just a cloth bag stockpile. How can I encourage my trappers to widen their search? There are tons of vermin flitting about on the surface, but they almost never search there.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16553 on: December 15, 2011, 07:55:09 pm »

1. What determines which designated spot a miner will go to first?

2. Anybody know where I can find a good guide to traps?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 08:11:27 pm by Callista »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16554 on: December 15, 2011, 08:23:18 pm »

1. What determines which designated spot a miner will go to first?

2. Anybody know where I can find a good guide to traps?

Dwarves perform designations from the top-left corner of the map, with things farther left taking more priority then things farther north. As for the trap guide, you might want to check out the trap design page on the wiki for some ideas. Personally I like the goblin grinders myself.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sarlare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16555 on: December 15, 2011, 10:59:18 pm »

For whatever reason my dwarves won't haul dead pets to either the corpse pile or to a designated coffin. It's getting to be a problem now, as migrant's pets end up starving to death in the dining hall, leaving skeletons behind and rotting. Am I missing something obvious here?

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16556 on: December 15, 2011, 11:38:00 pm »

Have you set the coffins to be used for pets in the query (q) screen? It's not on by default.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

Sarlare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16557 on: December 15, 2011, 11:55:34 pm »

Have you set the coffins to be used for pets in the query (q) screen? It's not on by default.

Yep, the coffins are open to anyone(anything?). I have burial jobs for several inhabitants, as well as having a refuse pile that should accept the decaying bodies.

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16558 on: December 16, 2011, 12:05:45 am »

Are all the coffins tasked for citizen burials? That would stop pets being buried. I'm not sure why the refuse stockpile isn't being used.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16559 on: December 16, 2011, 12:53:30 am »

I'm trying to trap a wide variety of the vermin inhabiting my current fortress, but my trappers seem to prefer to patrol only a single stockpile deep inside my fortress. The stockpile they all cluster around isn't even a food stockpile, just a cloth bag stockpile. How can I encourage my trappers to widen their search? There are tons of vermin flitting about on the surface, but they almost never search there.

first, why do you want vermin?
set an animal trap with some kind of bait. it will trap vermin
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 ... 1102 1103 [1104] 1105 1106 ... 1178