Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1100 1101 [1102] 1103 1104 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123863 times)

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16515 on: December 12, 2011, 04:58:39 pm »

You can go in and raise the pop cap later.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16516 on: December 12, 2011, 07:03:51 pm »

Pop cap is specified in the init files, which aren't copied to the save and are therefore modifiable independently of the saves. But that does mean that you have to change these files every time you switch between two saves in which you wish to have different pop caps.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16517 on: December 12, 2011, 11:21:03 pm »

What would be your favorite weapon to use? I used to use a combination of weapons, 6 swords, 1 hammer, 1 axe and 2 spears per squad, but Gimli has taught me that axes are the only real dwarven weapon and I'm going to outfit my squads with nothing but steel axes and armor.

What would be the "best" weapon to use with steel technology? I don't want hammers, though.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16518 on: December 12, 2011, 11:27:38 pm »

Mixed-weapon squads apparently cause your dwarves to try and train in all of them, which results in dwarves who are jack-of-all-blades-master-of-none. When I get access to steel, I tend to try and have a squad each of swords, axes, spears, (silver) hammers, and (copper) crossbows, all clad in steel but the crossbow dwarfs (because the default for marksdwarfs is leather and I'm too lazy to change their preferences).

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16519 on: December 12, 2011, 11:36:12 pm »

bismuth bronze or silver would be better for hammers anyway

squads train better if they all have the same weapon
Axes do have a lot going for them. They cut, so they can cause opponents to bleed to death, and opponents immune to that kind of damage they can cut to pieces (bronze colossus), while hammers have a big problem going up against enemies that dont die from a crushed skull or crushed lungs. They are more useful against armored opponents. Spears can get a lucky strike to the heart, throath or other vital area and end a fight quickly and seem to be again slightly better against armored opponents. Short swords are a mix between axe and spear, stabbing and slashing

i usually have an axe squad, spear squad and hammer or mace squad, in addition to a crossbow squad or 2
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
« Reply #16520 on: December 12, 2011, 11:56:16 pm »

bismuth bronze or silver would be better for hammers anyway

squads train better if they all have the same weapon
Axes do have a lot going for them. They cut, so they can cause opponents to bleed to death, and opponents immune to that kind of damage they can cut to pieces (bronze colossus), while hammers have a big problem going up against enemies that dont die from a crushed skull or crushed lungs. They are more useful against armored opponents. Spears can get a lucky strike to the heart, throath or other vital area and end a fight quickly and seem to be again slightly better against armored opponents. Short swords are a mix between axe and spear, stabbing and slashing

i usually have an axe squad, spear squad and hammer or mace squad, in addition to a crossbow squad or 2

This actually isn't true in all cases. If you're going with small-squad sparring, having same weapon squads is a BAD THING, at least for initial training. Sparring is infinitely faster than demonstrating, and if they have different weapons they won't waste time demonstrating to eachother and just spar.

Anyway, for my question, my military keeps standing around after they kill whatever they've been told to kill with Solder (Cannot follow order) until I go and manually cancel their orders from the squad menu. I've had squads almost starve because I forgot to cancel them because they just stand over the corpse doing nothing. Is there any way to get them to automatically cancel the kill order once everything is dead?
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16521 on: December 13, 2011, 12:01:08 am »

no, you'll always have to manually cancel kill and station/move orders
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16522 on: December 13, 2011, 12:02:40 am »

What would be your favorite weapon to use? I used to use a combination of weapons, 6 swords, 1 hammer, 1 axe and 2 spears per squad, but Gimli has taught me that axes are the only real dwarven weapon and I'm going to outfit my squads with nothing but steel axes and armor.

What would be the "best" weapon to use with steel technology? I don't want hammers, though.
I tend to favor single weapon squads, favoring spears when I do.  I use either danger rooms, arena training, or both(depending on whims and how good my traps are doing).  Spears aren't the best against humanoids, but if you have superior gear and skill, it ain't a thang, and spears penetrating power is nice against larger foes.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16523 on: December 13, 2011, 01:46:02 am »

I tend to favor single weapon squads, favoring spears when I do.  I use either danger rooms, arena training, or both(depending on whims and how good my traps are doing).  Spears aren't the best against humanoids, but if you have superior gear and skill, it ain't a thang, and spears penetrating power is nice against larger foes.

They also allow the squad to equip a shield at the same time, for added bashing and protection against firebreath and such. Swordsdwarves are similar except they dismember instead of stab.

However, while my speardwarves and swordsdwarves are going toe to toe with the monster of the month and trying to stab it in the foot my top marksdwarf will casually walk up behind them, assess the situation and put a masterwork steel bolt through the cephalothorax of whatever. I imagine that my speardwarves are getting a little annoyed at being kicked in the head by yellow jasper quadrupeds while the marksdwarves chill in the back.

Question: What's the point of stairs? Seems I can build ramps everywhere.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16524 on: December 13, 2011, 02:01:18 am »

Stairs can be built on top of eachother, so they are more space efficient.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16525 on: December 13, 2011, 05:54:49 am »

My marksdwarfs sometimes carry around buckets instead of waterskins. Anyone know why this is?  I have tons of skins available.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16526 on: December 13, 2011, 06:21:07 am »

My marksdwarfs sometimes carry around buckets instead of waterskins. Anyone know why this is?  I have tons of skins available.

I have a theory about the phenomenon I call flask exhaustion.

If you look at the inventory screen of a fully uniformed military dwarf, you'll see he's carrying his flask or waterskin in one of his upper-body garments, like a coat or mail shirt. It's in a pocket, is how I look at it.

I think whenever dwarves take off that upper-body garment (to change uniform or swap out an item, for instance) without first putting down the flask, the flask becomes forbidden. I haven't actually observed this happening directly, but I often find forbidden flasks laying around in the stockpile where my body armor is stored. So make sure none of your flasks are forbidden. I find the easiest way to do this is from the stocks screen; flasks are listed on the second screen from the bottom, I think, and you can mass-unforbid them there, if some of them have gotten forbidden.

Flasks in general seem to me to be kind of quirky. I typically set all my dwarves to train all the time — and make up for the bad thought by letting them sleep in their bedrooms, which are nice. So in theory, they should train for months straight, only refilling their flasks a time three or four times a year, since each flask is supposed to carry like three or four drinks. But I often see my soldiers (who are supposed to be on duty) drinking in one of the booze rooms. It seems like even if they're carrying flasks, they aren't always inclined to use them.

More likely, I just don't fully understand flask mechanics.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16527 on: December 13, 2011, 02:12:19 pm »

Is it possible to spread mud on a wooden floor with water so I can place a farm on it? I have a little project involving a multi-level wooden fortress and I thought it'd be cool/amusing to have a farm several levels off the ground  :P
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16528 on: December 13, 2011, 02:24:29 pm »

Underground plants only grow underground. Surface plants only grow on muddied natural stone or soil. (I once wanted to make a multi-story glass greenhouse with muddied clay floors, so that's how I know!)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16529 on: December 13, 2011, 02:30:45 pm »

Plants won't grow on muddied constructed floors, but I have heard that farms can be placed on muddied constructed floor and still work.  I haven't tried it on wood, or with aboveground plants however.  Try it and tell us.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 1100 1101 [1102] 1103 1104 ... 1178