Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1099 1100 [1101] 1102 1103 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123864 times)

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16500 on: December 10, 2011, 04:41:04 pm »

What does it mean if a room is marked with a red (S) in the rooms (R) menu?

No, that means that the room shares at least one piece of furniture with another room. If this happens, the room's value is 1/4 of what the room would be worth if it wouldn't share furniture, regardless of the amount of shared furniture or the number of rooms it shares furniture with.

Wait, so does that mean I could have 200 Royal Bedrooms by sticking them all in one big shared square and stuffing the empty spaces full of masterwork candy statues?
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16501 on: December 10, 2011, 05:09:05 pm »

What does it mean if a room is marked with a red (S) in the rooms (R) menu?
No, that means that the room shares at least one piece of furniture with another room. If this happens, the room's value is 1/4 of what the room would be worth if it wouldn't share furniture, regardless of the amount of shared furniture or the number of rooms it shares furniture with.
Wait, so does that mean I could have 200 Royal Bedrooms by sticking them all in one big shared square and stuffing the empty spaces full of masterwork candy statues?
Yes. This was actually a rather viable strategy in dealing with the larger amount of noble requirements back in 40d. Because all of the rooms were layered you only needed 3 chests a cabinet and whatever else instead of 12 chests, 4 cabinets, etc. while at the still time the insanely high value of the room still kept it up to royal levels.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16502 on: December 10, 2011, 09:55:02 pm »

Of course, if you manage to give every dwarf in the fortress a Royal bedroom, expect your Baron to become very, very unhappy.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16503 on: December 10, 2011, 10:32:41 pm »

Actually, perhaps someone could confirm or deny this, but I don't think giving every dwarf a royal bedroom will be any worse than giving one dwarf a royal bedroom.

I had problems with my baroness being traumatized by someone else's burial arrangements once, and I was feeling a bit mean and tried to teeter her over the edge into insanity by giving her more things to be annoyed at.  I gave two others high quality bedrooms, but she was never put off by those bedrooms and traumatized by the burial arrangements at the same time.

My guess then is that a noble can only be annoyed by a single dwarf having a single thing too good for them at once.

Furthermore, it appears that even being utterly traumatized by a lesser's pretentious anything is not too hard to manage.  She pingponged back and forth between miserable and fine, but that was because I was intentionally ignoring her demands and mandates in the hopes of driving her nuts.  Giving her a few other nice things would have probably made it impossible for her to go crazy over lesser's stuff.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong though.  I'm not sure how you could test it reliably though.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16504 on: December 11, 2011, 10:40:23 pm »

how does someone check history for specific attack and defense details?

Like it has a battle, and it says A: All lost D: 300 lost.

Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16505 on: December 11, 2011, 10:56:10 pm »

I don't believe there's any way to do that.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16506 on: December 11, 2011, 11:01:17 pm »

I don't believe there's any way to do that.

I've seen it done in fortes like...http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=96935.0
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #16507 on: December 12, 2011, 05:02:15 am »

You can see information like this in Legends Mode, but it is only accessible after you (or events) end your fortress. If you want to view it for an ongoing fort, first backup your save, then abandon.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16508 on: December 12, 2011, 06:52:10 am »

You can see information like this in Legends Mode, but it is only accessible after you (or events) end your fortress. If you want to view it for an ongoing fort, first backup your save, then abandon.

Ahhh... so I can't view right after gen... ty.

Frying Doby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16509 on: December 12, 2011, 08:26:24 am »

Artefact Usefulness Questions here:
1.Just as I set up my metal industry a weaponsmith-migrant gets a mood. I only smelted some iron + some bars from the caravan.
He took a bar of cooper ( no idea where that one came from) and made a Cooper War Hammer. I gave it to my MC.
Now I have access to steel and silver. Should I change his weapon to a Silver War Hammer or just stick with the Artefact Hammer.
Cooper for blunt weapons isnīt bad for blunt weapons but would silver still be better?
2. As somehow I got three leg-Armorer in 3 years through moods I wonder about the usefullness of two of the artefacts.
 One is a sterling silver chain leggings, the other one is platinum chain leggings. Usefull for the military or should I just give those to my Captain of the Guard?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #16510 on: December 12, 2011, 08:29:43 am »

Artefact Usefulness Questions here:
1.Just as I set up my metal industry a weaponsmith-migrant gets a mood. I only smelted some iron + some bars from the caravan.
He took a bar of cooper ( no idea where that one came from) and made a Cooper War Hammer. I gave it to my MC.
Now I have access to steel and silver. Should I change his weapon to a Silver War Hammer or just stick with the Artefact Hammer.
Cooper for blunt weapons isnīt bad for blunt weapons but would silver still be better?
2. As somehow I got three leg-Armorer in 3 years through moods I wonder about the usefullness of two of the artefacts.
 One is a sterling silver chain leggings, the other one is platinum chain leggings. Usefull for the military or should I just give those to my Captain of the Guard?
Note: You have an ARTIFACT copper war hammer! Its a lot better than anything of its type and copper [next to silver] is a great metal for blunt weapons. Give it to your legendary hammerdwarf or somewhat.
You could replace it, but I'd recommend staying with that artifact.

For the second, its the material that has me in confusion. On one hand, they are artifacts. On the other, the material is not good for armor and such. May need help here.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16511 on: December 12, 2011, 08:41:40 am »

^ To my understanding, artifact status gives the armour a 3x deflection bonus (masterwork items get 2x). This means that while a silver artifact armour is more likely to avoid the enemy hit, if it does get hit it will protect your dwarf less than a steel armour would. An artifact paperweight is still just a paper weight. I don't have the required knowledge of RAWs to say just how good or bad sterling silver is as armour material.

Can dukes work in the military and do noble labours (bookkeeper/broker/manager)?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #16512 on: December 12, 2011, 09:08:19 am »

Quote from: Delta Foxtrot link=topic=52208.msg2826520#msg2826520 date=1323697300

Can dukes work in the military and do noble labours (bookkeeper/broker/manager)?
[/quote
They can work as any normal dwarf can. Noble warriors that archive the items and haggle with merchants work.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16513 on: December 12, 2011, 04:54:43 pm »

since most of us only get artifact crowns and such, we're still all jealous. My latest artifact was a bow. Dwarfs cant use bows, but it makes a great weapon trap to adorn the main hall

and that was still better than the usual crop of crowns and rings

so even if it isnt effective to have someone use a copper warhammer, it should make you smile knowing its used (and your fighters will be happy seeing it too).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 04:58:14 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16514 on: December 12, 2011, 04:58:21 pm »

If one sets the pop cap via the init file, is it stuck there for the life of that fort or world, or can one go in and raise the cap later, thus getting lots of dwarves but at a slower pace than normal?
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.
Pages: 1 ... 1099 1100 [1101] 1102 1103 ... 1178