Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1098 1099 [1100] 1101 1102 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123861 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16485 on: December 09, 2011, 09:06:42 am »

My understanding is that yes, dwarves still get attribute increases from using skills, but this works differently and has been toned down since 40D.  The wiki is less than explicit on how this works, and it's not something I've watched carefully myself.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16486 on: December 09, 2011, 11:21:24 am »

From what I hear, it's now not how many tasks a dwarf does, but how much time they spend doing them that gives attribute gains.

Some recommend deliberately cluttering a farmer's workshop, and letting dwarves work long shifts threshing as a way to raise attributes.

Manually operating a pump is also a great way to train attributes, the dwarves work at it constantly with no interruptions for hauling, so it's one of the most efficient methods at the moment...100% of the dwarf's working time is spent gaining attributes. Though if the stockpiles are nearby and the workshops are cluttered, some other tasks come close.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16487 on: December 09, 2011, 11:37:32 am »

working with bones that are from big creatures also clutters a workshop significantly. this may be why bone carvers go up so fast.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16488 on: December 09, 2011, 12:49:26 pm »

I finally caught a dwarf getting attached to something. The item was a shield, and the last time the dwarf saw combat was before the attachment happened. The shield isn't forbidden and I haven't being doing any forbidding or unforbidding in the stocks screen.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16489 on: December 09, 2011, 02:51:56 pm »

Here's one: I'm trying to build a moat around my fort.  My assumption was that it was possible to build a drawbridge over the moat, but that's giving me trouble.

I can't channel out the dirt where the drawbridge is when I raise it.

Am I supposed to channel this out first, then build the bridge over it?  Or something else?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16490 on: December 09, 2011, 03:24:10 pm »

You need to channel out the ground before you build the bridge.  You can't channel out the ground under a bridge even if the bridge is raised or retracted.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16491 on: December 09, 2011, 04:19:15 pm »

Not terribly intuitive, but that's the way the DF is often enough.  Thank you, I'll give that a try.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16492 on: December 10, 2011, 06:36:35 am »

in my first year, my workers rarely went outside the fort because the area was full with rhino, elephant, giraffe, lions, cougars, giant lions, giant cougars, capybara, giant capybara, aligators, badgers, honey badgers and warthogs

I'm now nearing year 2 1/2, and there have been some milkfish in the nearby freshwater lake, but by now i have a trapping industry ready to tame and get me some giant war lions. What disaster killed all the wildlife and should i look for erupting vulcanos or meteor strikes?

Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16493 on: December 10, 2011, 06:37:46 am »

Have you been hunting them? If you do that for long enough you can deplete the local population.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16494 on: December 10, 2011, 06:46:16 am »

i was too busy setting the fort to work, i caught one honey badger so far

it seems like the 4 fish swimming in the river were keeping it all stopped. They are fished out now and again i see elephants and more. Thank you, brave fisher dwarfs, but your job did become much more dangerous now
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 07:15:39 am by Garath »

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16495 on: December 10, 2011, 08:51:23 am »

I'm pretty sure wildlife is strictly controlled in some obscure way. Relicstorm straddles two biomes, a mountain wilderness (or maybe even calm, I don't remember now) and a tropical untamed-wilds forest. Sometimes all my wildlife consists solely of a couple hoary marmots or mountain goats, while other times it's giant capybaras. I think it depends on which biome injected the quota of wandering mobs this month, or whatever.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #16496 on: December 10, 2011, 08:56:55 am »

I'm pretty sure wildlife is strictly controlled in some obscure way. Relicstorm straddles two biomes, a mountain wilderness (or maybe even calm, I don't remember now) and a tropical untamed-wilds forest. Sometimes all my wildlife consists solely of a couple hoary marmots or mountain goats, while other times it's giant capybaras. I think it depends on which biome injected the quota of wandering mobs this month, or whatever.

There is a Max number of biome related creatures that can enter your map at any one time. So expect to have roving bands of same-specie animals  :D. This does not include ones caught in traps or already domesticated, Wild ones, only.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16497 on: December 10, 2011, 03:19:32 pm »

What does it mean if a room is marked with a red (S) in the rooms (R) menu?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16498 on: December 10, 2011, 03:36:23 pm »

suspended?

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16499 on: December 10, 2011, 03:54:40 pm »

What does it mean if a room is marked with a red (S) in the rooms (R) menu?

No, that means that the room shares at least one piece of furniture with another room. If this happens, the room's value is 1/4 of what the room would be worth if it wouldn't share furniture, regardless of the amount of shared furniture or the number of rooms it shares furniture with.
Pages: 1 ... 1098 1099 [1100] 1101 1102 ... 1178