Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1097 1098 [1099] 1100 1101 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123896 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16470 on: December 07, 2011, 09:12:40 pm »

Make one of your axedwarves the captain and hope all your sentences are jail time.

You could also use the graphics option to overwrite the default ASCII, but making one graphic tile and using it for one position is a great length to go to if you don't know off the top of your head how to do it.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Valthero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • YouTube account
« Reply #16471 on: December 08, 2011, 03:11:50 pm »

Make one of your axedwarves the captain and hope all your sentences are jail time.

You could also use the graphics option to overwrite the default ASCII, but making one graphic tile and using it for one position is a great length to go to if you don't know off the top of your head how to do it.
Hmm..the first solution sounds good for the now. I think I'll save the second for a rainy day. Thanks for the ideas.
Bugbats, all of you.

Lord Allagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16472 on: December 08, 2011, 04:59:31 pm »

How do you make uncivilized creatures be elegible for adventure mode? Or do you need to make them civs first?
Quote from: narhiril
Quote from: Putnam
Yes, they do not need booze, they can work entirely off of water.
Freaks.
Quote from: Kaplahworm
Quote from: Garath
I'm pretty sure he'd move diagonally if he could.
You would think that, but the guy thought encasing himself in fire was a good idea.
Quote from: Jake
I therefore wish rectal cancer on your senior management.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16473 on: December 08, 2011, 06:44:54 pm »

for improving my animal stocks, what is better in the description? enormous or gigantic (she is quite fat, she is enormous/gigantic oerall)

my guess is gigantic, but i'm not entirely sure
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16474 on: December 08, 2011, 11:59:17 pm »

I have a question! (Er, which is fairly evident, given that I'm posting in this thread and not with an answer... bah!)

Anyhow... when you gen a world, will the z-levels be the same all over that world? Like, if the first cavern is in a certain z-level range in one area of the world, will it be the same z-level range in all other parts of that same world? Ditto the magma sea, etc.?

I figure the answer is yes, but I'm not sure! And I'd kind of like to know, in case I have a world that I either really like or really don't like the z-levels I've found in one embark, so that I can know to either use or not use that world for further embarks...

Pray_for_Snow

• Bay Watcher
  • MATT DAMON'S TIMECLONE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16475 on: December 09, 2011, 01:22:03 am »

I have a question! (Er, which is fairly evident, given that I'm posting in this thread and not with an answer... bah!)

Anyhow... when you gen a world, will the z-levels be the same all over that world? Like, if the first cavern is in a certain z-level range in one area of the world, will it be the same z-level range in all other parts of that same world? Ditto the magma sea, etc.?

I figure the answer is yes, but I'm not sure! And I'd kind of like to know, in case I have a world that I either really like or really don't like the z-levels I've found in one embark, so that I can know to either use or not use that world for further embarks...

Caverns can be randomly placed at any z-level.

Quote from: The wiki
Number, size and z-position can be altered in the world generation parameters.

This is an Artefact Thread. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with text and images of various dwarves. It menaces with spikes of data.

My X-COM UFO Defense LP. Finals Week Hiatus.

Plutocrat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16476 on: December 09, 2011, 01:25:43 am »

Certain things would affect it, like embarking on the side of a mountain on one embark will add that many z layers to the depth you will have to dig in that place. But comparing flatlands to flatlands on the same map, they should be the same rough z level down.

el Indio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16477 on: December 09, 2011, 04:46:22 am »

After about 15 forts, I am slowly getting to understand the basics of the game, however there is a few things i don't understand.

1)  Most of the dwarfs that get sent to jail end up dying of thirst/hunger.  Even with 50+ idle dwarfs in the dining hall (which is right next to the jail and well), no one will give food/water to prisoners.  The hospital is right next door and everyone gets food/water there.  So I tried to set up a booze stockpile and food stockpile next to the dwarf so they could feed themselves.  The food stockpile got filled up immediately, as my food stores were overflowing, but the booze stockpile just had an empty barrel in it.  How do I ensure that a full booze barrel is placed in the stockpile?

2)  Around the fort I have been noticing forbidden weapons lying about, i'm thinking it has something to do with dwarfs who become attached to an item, but i'm not really sure, I thought that once a dwarf picked up a weapon they just kept it with them at all times.  Is it okay to unforbid these items, with no flux I don't like having steel weapons laying about in the dining hall not being used. 

« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 04:51:21 am by el Indio »

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #16478 on: December 09, 2011, 05:11:47 am »

1) Stockpiles with barrels always seem to have an empty placeholder barrel. If you make the stockpile bigger, this should fix it. What I do is define a large stockpile over the entire jail, then delete all but two tiles of it from each cell. Alternatively, you could build a cistern under the jail, with a well in every cell.

2) When a weapon gets stuck in its victim (see combat reports) it gets forbidden. I've never been sure why this is the case, although it does make sense for bolts I guess.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16479 on: December 09, 2011, 05:35:38 am »

1) Stockpiles with barrels always seem to have an empty placeholder barrel.

Actually I noticed something recently. I set up a booze stockpile (with barrels, duh) but designated that it should take from the main booze stockpile, and I don't think my dwarves hauled an empty barrel to it. Perhaps stockpiles that take-from don't get that tile-waster empty container?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16480 on: December 09, 2011, 06:11:25 am »

So I am getting frustrated again...
Trying to equip my Military with Bronze armour.
I open Equipment page, Assign new Uniform, create a Uniform Template which is Mail, Breast, Gauntlet, High Boot, Greaves and the Choice of Weapon. Make sure that this Uniform is set.......
AND THEY DON'T TOUCH IT! I even set it to all of it being Bronze. Which is was. And nothing. They wouldn't go and wear it. So I tell them to replace. Nope, they just dump their Civie clothes there and now thats cluttering up the Barracks. How do I get them to put the shit back on????
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #16481 on: December 09, 2011, 07:09:53 am »

I open Equipment page, Assign new Uniform, create a Uniform Template which is Mail, Breast, Gauntlet, High Boot, Greaves and the Choice of Weapon. Make sure that this Uniform is set.......
AND THEY DON'T TOUCH IT! I even set it to all of it being Bronze. Which is was. And nothing. They wouldn't go and wear it. So I tell them to replace. Nope, they just dump their Civie clothes there and now thats cluttering up the Barracks. How do I get them to put the shit back on????

maybe they grew attached to their equipment.

or maybe they can't reach bronze.
OR you could try and de-militarize them, then after they drop their armours, have them re-militarized.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16482 on: December 09, 2011, 07:22:37 am »

Change "Partial Matches" to "Full Matches". With Partial Matches they'll settle for any mail, but with full matches they'll require Bronze mail. Give them a station command to trigger their upgrading.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16483 on: December 09, 2011, 07:35:04 am »

I restarted the game, now they are equipping like normal...
So far I have had Smelters that no longer work, Soldiers that wouldn't equip.... Sigh two bugs that have forced me to restart...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16484 on: December 09, 2011, 08:39:37 am »

Do attributes still increase as dwarves gain skill? I'm asking because several of my miners went from dabbling to legendary without any visible attribute change in their descriptions...
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."
Pages: 1 ... 1097 1098 [1099] 1100 1101 ... 1178