Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1093 1094 [1095] 1096 1097 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123977 times)

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16410 on: December 02, 2011, 04:34:42 pm »

Does anyone know if it's possible to make megabeasts breed?

Lock 'em in a room together (use bridges). If they can breed, they will.

Having two fertile beasts of opposite sex on the map at any given time guarantees pregnancy regardless of proximity. You wouldn't need to look them in a room together at all, as long as you made sure the female didn't leave the map.

Now, as a rule of thumb, most animals are infertile unless you mod them*. This is because they're exotic pets and those can't breed, regardless of whether they're tame or not. Modding this is simple. Just replace any [PET_EXOTIC] tags with [PET] and make sure their female "castes" have children. The former mod will work without a regen, but I don't know about the latter.
Also several types of megabeasts (such as dragons) are missing important tags for having children (namely the [CHILD:X] token). This means that though female dragons will lay eggs, none of the eggs will ever hatch into baby dragons, regardless of whether or not you have a fertile male available on the map.

So, just to sum that up, I have to replace [PET_EXOTIC] with [PET], ensure the female caste has children and add [CHILD:X] tags.
Is that it?
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16411 on: December 02, 2011, 05:23:06 pm »

and probably some extras in some cases but that seems to add it up yeah... anyway, mmmmm, dragon egg omelet
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16412 on: December 02, 2011, 08:40:56 pm »

Is there some way to prevent dropped items (such as weapons dropped when I change uniforms) from being forbidden automatically?
Never met that before. Perhaps you need o-F-i or o-F-p.
Weapons can become forbidden, and though they remain held they won't be picked up again if dropped. I don't know what causes them to become forbidden, but it's probably a combination of a stuckin plus 'forbid own death items'.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16413 on: December 02, 2011, 08:55:50 pm »

I don't know what causes them to become forbidden…

I'm fairly sure it happens when you get the "Urist McStabbypants has become attached to a goblin bone shiv" message or whatever.

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16414 on: December 02, 2011, 09:04:50 pm »

When people say "coughing fit," to what are they referring?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16415 on: December 02, 2011, 09:05:35 pm »

I've got weapons named ages ago that need to be unforbidden once in a while. If naming forbids a weapon, it's not the only thing that does.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16416 on: December 02, 2011, 10:10:44 pm »

I tend to have it happen when death items are set to forbidden and there's a death with the weapon stuck in them - basically, the game seems to treat it as a "death item."  The warrior will still have it, but if it gets dropped for some reason (like a wound), as noted, it won't be picked back up.  I have it happen regularly even where there haven't been any attachments made by the military.

When people say "coughing fit," to what are they referring?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: even more spoilerish (click to show/hide)
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

stonedwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16417 on: December 03, 2011, 04:59:01 am »

hi

i embarked on a saltwater region with a river. Is that river saltwater too and how can i see if the water is salty? for me it seems like normal water.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16418 on: December 03, 2011, 05:49:29 am »

if you pump it to a good resevoir, it will automatically desalinate. I never before embarked in saltwater regions, so i'm not an expert on this
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16419 on: December 03, 2011, 08:37:00 am »

i embarked on a saltwater region with a river. Is that river saltwater too and how can i see if the water is salty? for me it seems like normal water.

The river is probably salty.  You can tell if it's salty by designating a zone that's party over the river and party over tiles directly adjacent to the river and see if the 'water source' option is available in the zone.

If you build a well over salty water, your dwarves will use it as a source of water.  Wells don't technically desalinate, but a dwarf will always be able to use a well that's over any water and will always drink water out of a bucket that was filled by a well.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

semelfett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16420 on: December 03, 2011, 10:48:55 am »

Question: I have told my dwarfs to dump some stone and corpses that lies just outside the fortress gates but they refuse to move it. i have cheked my burrows and that nothing is forbiden, and i have like 10 idle dwarfs.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16421 on: December 03, 2011, 10:52:35 am »

Question: I have told my dwarfs to dump some stone and corpses that lies just outside the fortress gates but they refuse to move it. i have cheked my burrows and that nothing is forbiden, and i have like 10 idle dwarfs.

Dumping is covered under refuse gathering. Turn "dwarves gather refuse outside" on (it's off by default) under the orders menu: o-r-o I think does it.

semelfett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16422 on: December 03, 2011, 10:58:54 am »

Thanks that did it, now i can make my golden road with elven corpses on the side.

-ste-

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16423 on: December 04, 2011, 10:16:28 am »

I'm following the videotutorial posted on this forum, but i have noticed that the when i choose "prepare carefully the journey" i have only 70 point for choosing the dwarf's skill, the guy in the tutorial has 200! Why?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16424 on: December 04, 2011, 10:45:05 am »

You get a fixed amount of points on embark, and the game automatically selects some items whose cost isn't fixed. You always get an anvil, and if your civ doesn't have access to iron you have a steel anvil, which costs 200 points more than an iron one. If your civ doesn't have copper you're given 2 axes and 2 picks made of bronze, which costs you 336 points more than the copper default.

I have a 'nothing' profile which currently features both kinds of anvil and both kinds of axe and pick, and it's much easier to remove those few items as necessary than it is to remove everything on the standard 'prepare carefully' list.
Pages: 1 ... 1093 1094 [1095] 1096 1097 ... 1178