Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1088 1089 [1090] 1091 1092 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124068 times)

Urist McCheater

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16335 on: November 27, 2011, 04:14:14 am »

Q1) Can I get ducks, turkeys, or guineafowl to trigger pressure plates? I ask because I saw an adult duck on what I thought was a minimum-weight pressure plate, but the dog on the hatch cover survived.

Q2) How far do small creatures have to fall to be consistently and instantly killed? Has a formula been worked out, or do we know general numbers?

To explain the odd questions, I'm trying to make a bloodfall. An isolated group of breeding non-grazers inhabit a tall tower with a hole in the middle, a chute going straight down to the middle of my meeting hall. A pressure plate in the same room is tripped more frequently as more animals are born to occupy the room. To ensure the room is not accidentally stripped of all females via chute, another room higher up has a female chained in such as way that she can't fall, but she's incredibly likely to trip a pressure plate that removes all floor tiles she can't stand on.

Alternatively put, the Murder Tower is composed of two rooms: the Abattoir and the Broodmother's Den. Victims in the Abattoir trip pressure plates which open the bloodchute in the middle of the room, sending the lucky inhabitants to their prompt demise. All the while, the Broodmother watches over the younglings from her perch, ever spawning a new generation of supplicants to death to be deposited into the Abattoir.

Is there any way (after killing them) to wear my enemies' skin, hands or even heads as a trophy or just for fun?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16336 on: November 27, 2011, 11:03:25 am »

20+ z-levels will almost certainly cause instant death to anything.

blazeboy91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16337 on: November 27, 2011, 11:05:51 am »

Does a marksdwarf shooting a goblin push that goblin into the pit next to the goblin?

G
F
D

G = goblin
F = fortification
D = the marksdwarf
. = open space

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16338 on: November 27, 2011, 11:06:54 am »

Not unless the goblin dodges and gets unlucky.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

blazeboy91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16339 on: November 27, 2011, 11:07:51 am »

Well there goes my shooting gallery idea

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16340 on: November 27, 2011, 12:50:48 pm »

Q1) Can I get ducks, turkeys, or guineafowl to trigger pressure plates? I ask because I saw an adult duck on what I thought was a minimum-weight pressure plate, but the dog on the hatch cover survived.

There is a minimum weight to trigger any pressure plate.  I don't know what it is exactly, but it appears that small creatures - including ducks, guineafowl, and kittens - are below it.  I'm not sure about turkeys.

Q2) How far do small creatures have to fall to be consistently and instantly killed? Has a formula been worked out, or do we know general numbers?

Ten Z-levels seems to kill goblins with 100% reliability.  You will want to make sure that the landing spot never has a dwarf or other living creature on it however.  When a falling creature lands on another creature, both are stunned but otherwise unharmed.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16341 on: November 27, 2011, 02:58:13 pm »

Fifteen is definite kill height. Pretty much everything will die on it.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16342 on: November 27, 2011, 03:23:22 pm »

unless they land on someone else
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Katan Alebread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16343 on: November 27, 2011, 03:23:58 pm »

Do I need to edit raws in order to tame and train a war roc?

Does editing the raw just involve changing the text [PET_EXOTIC] to [PET] under [CREATURE:BIRD_ROC] ?

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16344 on: November 27, 2011, 03:49:48 pm »

Do I need to edit raws in order to tame and train a war roc?

Does editing the raw just involve changing the text [PET_EXOTIC] to [PET] under [CREATURE:BIRD_ROC] ?

Add [TRAINABLE] too. And if it ever killed someone or something from your civ, even a kitten in worldgen, it will remain hostile and murderous even when tamed, killing any dwarves starting with the one who releases it from the cage. And it won't fly either, sadly.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16345 on: November 27, 2011, 04:10:36 pm »

flying is currently a bit bugged. no complaints from me when 10 gob archers showed up on giant bats
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

blazeboy91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16346 on: November 27, 2011, 06:33:28 pm »

Can dwarves see gobbos on the other side of statues?

KoSiNeK

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16347 on: November 27, 2011, 06:41:06 pm »

My dwarves don't touch bones. All of my butcher shops ale cluttered with bones. i made big stockpile for refuse and corpses but they wont move a thing ;/ what to do ? it worked before.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16348 on: November 27, 2011, 06:46:05 pm »

Can dwarves see gobbos on the other side of statues?

I think that statues don't block line-of-sight, but I haven't tested it.

My dwarves don't touch bones. All of my butcher shops ale cluttered with bones. i made big stockpile for refuse and corpses but they wont move a thing ;/ what to do ? it worked before.

Are the butcher shops outside?  If so, you need to enable gathering of refuse from outside.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

KoSiNeK

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16349 on: November 27, 2011, 06:51:58 pm »

nicest man in the world. thanks!
Pages: 1 ... 1088 1089 [1090] 1091 1092 ... 1178