Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1087 1088 [1089] 1090 1091 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124074 times)

Katan Alebread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16320 on: November 25, 2011, 09:46:44 am »

I'm trying to build a magma pump stack. I have dug out the various areas and I wanted to start channelling the holes for the magma and the power but my miner decided to channel from the left hand side of the tile and got stuck on the reservoir side. I built a floor to save him, tried to disassemble the floor and the same thing happens. I tried to fill the left tiles with suspended constructing walls, but my mason just stands there anyway. Is there a solution for this?

Seems the alternative is that I make a tonne of magma-proof doors and make the chambers connect to my staircase, but block them off with a door.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16321 on: November 25, 2011, 09:54:17 am »

It's a slight pain in the ass but ordering two walls built - the one you want them to make and another in the exact spot you expect them to stand and strand themselves - and immediately suspending the "decoy". Walls like that probably won't help you with deconstructing floors per se, but I guess you can always dig around the problem and then replace walls using the method I have described.

Katan Alebread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16322 on: November 25, 2011, 10:00:55 am »

It's a slight pain in the ass but ordering two walls built - the one you want them to make and another in the exact spot you expect them to stand and strand themselves - and immediately suspending the "decoy". Walls like that probably won't help you with deconstructing floors per se, but I guess you can always dig around the problem and then replace walls using the method I have described.
Cool, thanks. It's weird that this works for constructions but not deconstructions.

I dug through to the magma chamber, then walled it off again.

Katan Alebread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16323 on: November 25, 2011, 10:06:04 am »

I believe he will use the closest rock if no stone stockpiles exist, and the nearest stockpiled rock if any stone stockpiles exist.

I'm fairly certain this is incorrect: he will use the closest non-busy rock to wherever he is standing at the moment he accepts the job, regardless of whether it's in a stockpile.

I can confirm this is the way it works. They will take the closest non-forbidden rock, regardless of stockpile.

My mason was all the way down a mineshaft (de)constructing stuff when I told him to build a door, he picked up the nearest block of marble and started walking all the way back up to his workshop :)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16324 on: November 25, 2011, 11:51:16 am »

Is there anything besides bad timing that would cause a Weapon Trap to kill a Hunting Dog?  Like a Gremlin?  I just lost an artifact, and at very close time saw this.

Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #16325 on: November 25, 2011, 11:59:23 am »

If any creature falls unconcious on a trapped tile, it will trigger the trap. Was the dog injured?

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16326 on: November 25, 2011, 12:05:26 pm »

Is there anything besides bad timing that would cause a Weapon Trap to kill a Hunting Dog?  Like a Gremlin?  I just lost an artifact, and at very close time saw this.

Knutor

Anything that passes out activates weapon traps.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Katan Alebread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16327 on: November 25, 2011, 12:07:44 pm »

One of my soldiers took some spine damage and has lost the ability to stand. She's starving and dehydrating and no one wants to take her to the hospital or feed/water her. Anything I can do to save her / get her to the hospital? I've got 64 idle dwarfs so that's not the problem.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16328 on: November 25, 2011, 12:52:26 pm »

Known bug. 0004830: Dwarves in Hospital die of Dehyrdration / Starvation ( http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=4830 )
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16329 on: November 25, 2011, 04:23:05 pm »

Unless you're worried about trying to keep a 3 tile wide path open, you don't need to worry about this.  Trees won't grow densely enough to make an impenetrable, solid wall of trees around your fortress.
There is an advantage to having wagon access even though there are no wagons. Depots with wagon access will cause caravans to spawn as though they do have wagons, which means you can reduce the number of edge tiles with depot access until caravans spawn in very specific and easily-guardable areas. Liaisons use an access map which is generated at embark and lights up all edge tiles accessible by foot from the wagon, so if your site is cut in half by a stream or larger that's frozen on Granite 1 and thawed in the middle of Timber your liaison will cheerfully spawn on the wrong side of the map. In 40d this map was also used by the traders -- if you had a map that was split in half at embark and you limited depot access to tiles on the side not initially accessible, the depot access map would show a false positive. Presumably this is still the case in .31, but getting depot access isn't as important as it once was.

The highest number of trees I've seen in a row is 4, but only a few times and on very long-lived fortresses. On open ground you're not going to have any problems with trees blocking foot traffic.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16330 on: November 25, 2011, 09:08:41 pm »

My embark is scatered with things labelled "dense bubble bulb", does anyone know what they are?
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #16331 on: November 25, 2011, 09:13:44 pm »

My embark is scatered with things labelled "dense bubble bulb", does anyone know what they are?

I do believe you've embarked on a good biome- what you are seeing is good aligned grass. Good gets bubbles and feathers, evil gets eyeballs and tentacles- all of them function identically to regular ol' grass.

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16332 on: November 25, 2011, 09:18:43 pm »

I do believe you've embarked on a good biome- what you are seeing is good aligned grass. Good gets bubbles and feathers, evil gets eyeballs and tentacles- all of them function identically to regular ol' grass.
OK, thanks.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #16333 on: November 26, 2011, 12:04:03 am »

I've got the Fortress Defense mod (adds several hostile civs) and one of them is listed as at War rather than the usual red line (------), which means 'hostile by default' if I recall correctly. Does this change anything, such as whether they'll show up earlier?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16334 on: November 26, 2011, 02:46:53 am »

I think they'll show up to attack you as soon as they possibly can, rather than wait for their time.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 1087 1088 [1089] 1090 1091 ... 1178