Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1085 1086 [1087] 1088 1089 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124101 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16290 on: November 23, 2011, 09:23:25 pm »

i know it doesnt work for sorting high quality, but at least you've already sorted dyed/nondyed in just a few keystrokes
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16291 on: November 23, 2011, 09:27:57 pm »

In 31.25 nobles can be assigned labors just like any other dwarf, without needing to use therapist or any other hacking tool, and will work happily as if they were any other dwarf.

That seems to check out for the most part, but at this point I have no explanation for my countess not designing buildings other than that having to do with her noble status, as she will do other work just fine. To risk repeating myself, I had triple-checked both in-game and in DT to make sure the architecture labor was enabled and that the supports, pumps or smelters were accessible. It's like nobles still shirk some work, compared to how they used to shirk almost everything other than lever-pulling in 40d.

stickman_kenobi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16292 on: November 24, 2011, 04:08:20 am »

Will enemies spawn in my fortress ever? EG: Forgotten beasts, demons, etc.

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16293 on: November 24, 2011, 05:17:19 am »

Will enemies spawn in my fortress ever? EG: Forgotten beasts, demons, etc.
I'm fairly sure enemies only spawn at the edge of the map, and you can't build right on the edge of the map, so no.

They'll spawn in the area, eventually, though.  FBs I think only come from the caverns, so you'll have to breach those.  Megabeasts and Titans and whatnot will wait until you've got a certain number of dwarves/certain amount of fort wealth before attacking.  Demons will only come if you go to the circus.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16294 on: November 24, 2011, 01:54:26 pm »

will windmills stop working if they're in a completely walled around and floored over area? ATM, they produce 40 each, pretty decent, and i dont even have to mess around with pumps

secondly, if the crowns my baroness put an export ban on and insist on me creating hit an accident involving magma, will she be upset?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 01:57:07 pm by Garath »
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #16295 on: November 24, 2011, 02:05:47 pm »

1. Yes. The central tile of the windmill must be 'outside'.
2. Unless they're masterpieces that she made herself, no.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16296 on: November 24, 2011, 02:08:46 pm »

alright, next question. any way i can cut down on the "deceased" (in -u-) list for my fort? to view any incaders i either need to scroll down 100+ dwarfs and then 150+ tame animals, or "up" 200+ deceased invaders/animals

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #16297 on: November 24, 2011, 02:21:06 pm »

Not as far as I know, but Toady has indicated this will be improved in the next release.

AxisKiller

• Bay Watcher
  • What's the worst that could happen?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16298 on: November 24, 2011, 02:48:30 pm »

I've got a bunch of questions, though I think they're simple enough that they're not threadworthy.

First, how do you guys deal with idlers? I'm having to deal with at least half of my population at one time (usually 40/90 or 30/90 dwarves idling in my dining halls), and not much for them to do. Should I build more workshops or what?

Second, do metal ores begin to appear? I'm about four or five Z-levels down and haven't hit a cavern or any metal veins yet, and my military has to deal with imported and goblinite weapons and armor until I can find some metal.

Third, about the military, is there any way to keep my melee dwarves from equpping the leather armor I make for the marksdwarves, besides just making metal armor for them first?

Lastly, along the same vein as my first question, when should I expand my workshop areas? I've got around 90-100 dwarves now and two of each kind of workshop, but half of them sit around unused except for the main ones like the brewery, carpenter shop, masonry, and the butcheries.

It's been forever since I've played DF (about since 31.25 was released), and I just started getting back into it, so I'm sure these are pretty simple things I've just forgotten from lack of playing. On the bright side, I just trapped my first megabeast, a Cyclops if I remember right. I'd be playing right now, but I'm on vacation with nothing but my netbook, which can't even run adventure mode very well.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16299 on: November 24, 2011, 03:04:45 pm »

FBs I think only come from the caverns, so you'll have to breach those.
FBs come in from any subterranean edge tile.

First, how do you guys deal with idlers? I'm having to deal with at least half of my population at one time (usually 40/90 or 30/90 dwarves idling in my dining halls), and not much for them to do. Should I build more workshops or what?
Ignore them, train a couple of them up in an industry you're using (especially bone carving if you deal frequently with large animals), do some construction work, maybe stick them in the military because it's great for levelling attributes... just whatever really. I don't see idlers, I see an untapped stream of labour.

Second, do metal ores begin to appear? I'm about four or five Z-levels down and haven't hit a cavern or any metal veins yet, and my military has to deal with imported and goblinite weapons and armor until I can find some metal.
If your site said it had shallow metal(s) you should have hit something by now, unless you're using a single staircase or something really small. There are always a minimum of 5 levels between surface and the first cavern, and after that the depth depends on the shape of the cavern and where you're digging. It's possible to have a long vertical natural shaft with the 'body' of the cavern near the bottom, which means you'd have to either find that small area or dig down a long way to find the cavern.

Third, about the military, is there any way to keep my melee dwarves from equpping the leather armor I make for the marksdwarves, besides just making metal armor for them first?
The default metal / leather uniforms can be used if you specify 'exact match'. You can also change the priority of each squad, which affects uniforming and doesn't alter each squad's position in the squad screen. If your melee dwarves are jumping over your ranged dwarves to get their equipment, you should probably let them. They need it more than the archers do.

Lastly, along the same vein as my first question, when should I expand my workshop areas?
When you don't have enough room there to do what you want.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

AxisKiller

• Bay Watcher
  • What's the worst that could happen?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16300 on: November 24, 2011, 03:18:54 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm going to try to eliminate some idlers by getting more farmers and miners, and hopefully find some metal or caverns, as I'm just fending off ambushes and sieges with nothing more than my walls, marksdwarves with bone bolts and cage traps.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16301 on: November 24, 2011, 04:12:01 pm »

Make more mason's shops.  Dig more rooms out of the rock.  Make garbage dump zones near your mason's shops and then dump the stone from the undug area.  Un-forbid the dumped stones.  Enable the Masonry skill on the persistently idle dwarves and have them mass-produce stone blocks.  Use those rock blocks to pave your soil floors to stop plants from growing, or to build grand walls and towers above-ground.

My fortresses never have idlers for long, I always end up building something that takes up me entire population for years.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16302 on: November 24, 2011, 04:16:34 pm »

Use defence mod - you will need larger military.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16303 on: November 24, 2011, 05:08:14 pm »

i'm now in year 5 and most of my idle people have been drafted. Note that people eating, on break or drinking show up as "idle" even though they are performing vital actions (except those "on break"). If your whole fort has been on item hauling duty after the last attack, its no big surprise if they decide to go and have a drink together at some point

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16304 on: November 24, 2011, 06:23:54 pm »

No, drinking and eating are considered jobs according to the idler count. It's only 'No Job' and 'Noble' that count.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 ... 1085 1086 [1087] 1088 1089 ... 1178