Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1084 1085 [1086] 1087 1088 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124123 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16275 on: November 22, 2011, 10:18:50 pm »

Currently evil/good areas have been changed in that they simply add undead/evil trees/evil creatures/unicorns/etc. to the "pool" of available creatures/plants for the area. This means that often the specialized good/evil things are crowded out by the normal ones. I believe this is planned to be fixed eventually, but I don't know if it is in the next release or not.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16276 on: November 22, 2011, 10:45:36 pm »

This means that often the specialized good/evil things are crowded out by the normal ones.

If that explains how in some evil biomes all flora seems to be dead (that's what it looked like in one or two places I embarked on but soon canceled the game) then I'm not getting it. I mean, the dead plants were supposedly "neutral" shrubs that looked as though they'd been trampled and trees that looked as though they'd been burned.

Question: I've read that barons are supposed to continue working after they get promoted or whatever. This was true for my baron consort who continues planting and harvesting, but not quite for my baroness herself. She held a meeting but other than that her job reads noble and she won't budge to actually design the pumps I commissioned. Am I missing something here?

Edit: Apparently she will manufacture mechanisms, but designing buildings is beneath her. Strange shit.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 03:11:43 am by assimilateur »

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #16277 on: November 23, 2011, 08:06:50 am »

Sounds like the architect labour isn't active.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16278 on: November 23, 2011, 09:45:17 am »

This means that often the specialized good/evil things are crowded out by the normal ones.

If that explains how in some evil biomes all flora seems to be dead (that's what it looked like in one or two places I embarked on but soon canceled the game) then I'm not getting it. I mean, the dead plants were supposedly "neutral" shrubs that looked as though they'd been trampled and trees that looked as though they'd been burned.

Question: I've read that barons are supposed to continue working after they get promoted or whatever. This was true for my baron consort who continues planting and harvesting, but not quite for my baroness herself. She held a meeting but other than that her job reads noble and she won't budge to actually design the pumps I commissioned. Am I missing something here?

Edit: Apparently she will manufacture mechanisms, but designing buildings is beneath her. Strange shit.
Yes, the dead shrubs are neutral plants, however them being created "dead" is a modifier to their status, similar to creatures being created "undead". This means that they are sort of treated like a new type of plant and as such lose out the race to their former selves.

Also yeah, it sounds like you're missing the architect labor since the "noble" job is just what it says instead of "no job".
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16279 on: November 23, 2011, 10:01:41 am »

1: is there any use for scales or feathers?

2: do bones and such disappead from underground (g)arbage dump places?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16280 on: November 23, 2011, 10:09:16 am »

1: is there any use for scales or feathers?

2: do bones and such disappead from underground (g)arbage dump places?

1. nope, not in vanilla. There are mods with reactions that use various body parts.

2. Bones, skull, cartilage: only if vermin eat them. Rest: rots away in time, generating miasma.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16281 on: November 23, 2011, 01:25:45 pm »

Sounds like the architect labour isn't active.

Also yeah, it sounds like you're missing the architect labor since the "noble" job is just what it says instead of "no job".

I double- and triple-checked to make sure she had the architect labor on in Dwarf Therapist and now I also checked in-game. I'm now testing this again disabling architecture on the guy who replaced her and ordering a support to be built and she won't budge. To control this I also ordered a mechanism to be manufactured and even though the noble (now a countess) is the only one with the mechanic labor enabled the job was marked as in progress instantly.

So she's available for work, has the architect labor enabled, but still won't do it. This either means that there's some weird glitch happening for me, or that nobles just won't do certain labors. To test the second alternative, you could try making your resident baron/count/duke design something and tell me how it goes.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16282 on: November 23, 2011, 01:48:46 pm »

officially, nobles dont work

assigning them labors in therapist is considered, by the game, to be a cheat, bypass, or whatever, and you know this since you have to check the box for this, i think, otherwise, now you know. Nobles are supposed to be like children, no option to give them labors. They are also ery lazy and may take ages to get even a minimum done
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16283 on: November 23, 2011, 01:59:40 pm »

I didn't have to check or uncheck anything in DT, and the mechanic labor stayed enabled when the dwarf was made a noble so I didn't even need to touch it. What you're saying applies to children and supposedly still to monarchs (I say supposedly because I haven't had one in .31), but it's almost common knowledge that barons/counts/dukes are different. The labor screen (v->p->l) is accessible and the options are usable just like for any other dwarf even without DT on, whereas the sort of noble you speak of would have "a noble does/need not work" or something like that, similarly to how a child's pref. screen says "a child does at it pleases" and leaves the labor screen inaccessible.

What I'm trying to figure out now is whether there are still some jobs nobles won't do even if enabled, or if my guy is glitched. Not that it matters much since I'm going to be starting another fortress soon.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16284 on: November 23, 2011, 02:26:53 pm »

Is there some way to restrict my clothier's shop so my master tailors only use high-quality dyed cloth for their creations? I suppose I could customize the nearby cloth stockpiles to only take high-quality dyed cloth and set up a second clothpile for my dyers and weavers to work around?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16285 on: November 23, 2011, 02:35:51 pm »

Is there some way to restrict my clothier's shop so my master tailors only use high-quality dyed cloth for their creations? I suppose I could customize the nearby cloth stockpiles to only take high-quality dyed cloth and set up a second clothpile for my dyers and weavers to work around?
That's really the only way to do it. The other option is to simply make a large amount of cloth, forbid everything but what you want to use, make a large amount of clothes, and then unforbid everything. Currently there is no nice solution for this unfortunately.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16286 on: November 23, 2011, 02:40:31 pm »

I don't think there's a way - cloth stockpiles don't have a quality setting - but seeing as how you used the words tailors, weavers and dyers in the plural there's one piece of advice I can give you: use only one dwarf for a job if quality matters. One legendary dwarf can do the work of several proficient ones and produce higher quality goods as well. You're going to start out slower unless you're lucky when it comes to moods or migrants, but after some time you're going to end up with mostly (like 99% in my experience) exceptional and masterful quality goods.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16287 on: November 23, 2011, 07:32:19 pm »

you can make a first selection with (o)rders, (W)orkshop and make it so they only use dyed cloth

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16288 on: November 23, 2011, 08:46:05 pm »

officially, nobles dont work

Not in the current version.  In 31.25 nobles can be assigned labors just like any other dwarf, without needing to use therapist or any other hacking tool, and will work happily as if they were any other dwarf.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16289 on: November 23, 2011, 08:47:11 pm »

you can make a first selection with (o)rders, (W)orkshop and make it so they only use dyed cloth
That doesn't really help with the 'high quality' part of the question though.

Perhaps it would work out if you had a no-bin stockpile for thread and cloth and then used the trade depot's 'sort by value' feature to pick out and sell off the lower-quality stuff. You'd need to have the stockpiles surrounding the trade depot, or lots of idlers at trading time.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 ... 1084 1085 [1086] 1087 1088 ... 1178