Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1082 1083 [1084] 1085 1086 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124170 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16245 on: November 20, 2011, 04:13:35 am »

a few questions:

2) in a 200 population fortress, how many should be soldiers to actively deal with level 3 caverns, late game sieges and mega beasts.

3) How do i order specific items of clothing to be dyed, and then specific dwarves in the military to wear them?

4) How much use is the textiles industry in general? I've never relied on it before, my wealth usually comes from gold / rock crafts

just answering the ones i know:
2: check who is needed for running the fort and various industries. If you're like me, and some people have 2 jobs... there are 60 jobs, but dissect small animals/fish are useless, some require just 1 person, others up to 4 (mining, or its so slow), lets say 100 are needed and then they will still be idle a third of the time, so 120 militairy, with 30 inactive per season to prevent them becomming unhappy. I usually have an extremely efficient fort with 70/80 dwarfs, and everything over that gets drafted. If a more skilled person migrates, the less skilled one is drafted.
Note that soldiers who have the mining job keep hold of their pick, so no soldiers can be part time miners. Same goes for woodcutters, who keep hold of their axe. NP for axemen i guess

3: you can only order cloth to be dyed, or thread. You can forbid certain types of dyes if you want it a specific color, There is however no way AFAIK to let your dwarfs let go of their precious socks.

4: I tend to rely on prepared meals and bone crafts, but i'm sure it can be very profitable. those cloth bins from merchants are very pricy
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #16246 on: November 20, 2011, 05:33:46 am »

1) i'm interested in making soap both for my hospital (as i enjoy an army based defense over a trap based one, so i'll need a hosptial, plus i'm going to start working with magma pistons, the FUN that will cause >_>). I've heard Lye can become bugged and made with a bucket containing water. How do i avoid this?
The simplest way is just to order lye from the caravan (it can also be bought at embark). This lye comes in barrels so avoids contamination. It should provide enough for your medical needs, but the rest of your dwarves might have to go without soapy baths.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16247 on: November 20, 2011, 10:13:16 am »

1) i'm interested in making soap both for my hospital (as i enjoy an army based defense over a trap based one, so i'll need a hosptial, plus i'm going to start working with magma pistons, the FUN that will cause >_>). I've heard Lye can become bugged and made with a bucket containing water. How do i avoid this?
You can't, really, since buckets with water in them don't get taken to furniture stockpiles (so you can't keep them away from the asheries). You could remove the Give Water task on all dwarves but a dedicated few, since attempts to give water to thirsty working dwarves are the cause of scattered water buckets. If you do end up with a lye/water bucket, there are a couple of fiddly ways to do it in-game. The first is to haul the bucket but not the water to the trade depot, and the second is to have the bucket used for milking. This will remove both the lye and the water and replace it with milk, and the bucket will be returned into circulation once the milk is processed into cheese. The DFhack suite has a function for removing water from buckets, which is a much less stressful solution.

2) in a 200 population fortress, how many should be soldiers to actively deal with level 3 caverns, late game sieges and mega beasts.
Twelve. And a half. Got to have your mascots!

Seriously though, it depends on what you want to do. I have 24 soldiers on a 4x3 with about three squares of edge sealed off with bridges*, and with 16 of them on the job it's just about possible to have the edge constantly covered at caravan time. They train in the fortress's only entrance, and because of the way it's set up the same 6 dwarves handle ambushes. The caverns are sealed off, but if I wanted them dealt with I'd set up a second entrance and ensure that it was the only subterranean access to the fortress. For any individual threat two or three sufficiently-skilled dwarves is enough -- a large enemy can use one dwarf as a football, but can't keep two down.

*I found that any wildlife between the wall and the edge would get slaughtered horribly by the border patrol, and I wanted to keep things alive for future use. Eventually it turned out not to be a problem because I have a bunch of wild tigers blocking anything else from coming onto the map.

3) How do i order specific items of clothing to be dyed, and then specific dwarves in the military to wear them?
You need to get a dwarf, the items, and the dye all together in one room in which the dwarf has no access to any other materials. To get the specific items there, you can either use a stockpile to pull them from wherever they are, or set up a dump zone and dump the individual items. Once the items are dyed, you can go into the View / Customise screen and use A, L, H, etc. to get to the 'specific armour' option. Then you select the item off the list, being careful to assign only items that have yet to be assigned. You'll have to keep track of the list yourself, as already-assigned items are not removed or marked.

4) How much use is the textiles industry in general? I've never relied on it before, my wealth usually comes from gold / rock crafts
It's kind of a luxury industry, and it's a great way of occupying terminal malingerers. Cloth is one of the few raw materials that can have a quality level, and dye can be applied to it to make it even more valuble. Once you've made something with that expensive cloth, you can apply more expensive cloth to it in the form of cloth images, and multiple images can be sewn onto something.

5) What's the easiest way to attract a dragon to my fort? (i want to tame it, edit the raws so it isnt EXOTIC)
Once you start getting megabeasts, all you can do is wait for a dragon to show up. You could also embark on a cave containing a dragon, but this is risky and cuts down on your potential embark sites quite a bit.

6) For a very interesting game, what should my world gen settings be, and what kind of area should i embark to? (Not a really hard one, but an intermediate kind of area)
Turn minimum savagery up a bit (20 should be fine) and increase the amount of evil regions considerably. A tenfold increase is a good start. That's a quick and dirty way of getting more Terrifying areas, although some are more terrifying than others. Ogres are pretty scary, and live in shrubland / savanna / grassland. If you want to tweak savagery some more, you can use the weighting options to encourage the game to create islands of low savagery that will allow for civilisations to establish. After that it's up to you. Most biomes will be adequately represented in the average map, although the default temperature settings tend not to create large areas of glacier or tropical biomes. There's also rather a lot of ocean taking up the average map. If you do start doing a lot of fiddling, remove the 'minimum number of <whatever> squares' requirements, otherwise you'll get infinite rejections with some settings

7) finally - how do i get captured animals to fight each other? i want to make an arena, and getting a tamed bear i bought off the elves to fight one of my dwarves (unarmed like a boss) didn't work
Once animals are tame, they're completely unaggressive unless cramped. To get a tame animal fighting a dwarf, you need to force them both onto the same tile. I think you could do this with a 1x1 room with a lever in it which operates the door. Door is open, dwarf goes in and pulls the lever that seals the door, bear is manually dropped in from above. Don't forget to make the door operable from the outside, you don't know who's going to win.

EDIT: Bonus question - How much does designating high traffic, low traffic areas increase fps? is it worth it? (i've already set G_FPS and such things to help, i can hold steady on 40 on my 10 year fort during a siege)
Not sure about FPS necessarily, but it does make things more efficient in high-traffic areas. A high-traffic stripe down the centre of a 3-wide corridor being rushed by 60 hauling dwarves results in a tight double conga line with lots of dwarves dodging into the outer tiles and a few getting knocked over. The same corridor with no traffic designations has a lot more shoving and tripping going on.

It depends on your fortress layout too. Wide open spaces and other deviations from the eventual path are the things that really hurt the pathing algorithm, so the less sprawl you start with the less direct FPS gain you'll see.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16248 on: November 20, 2011, 10:29:39 am »

3: you can only order cloth to be dyed, or thread. You can forbid certain types of dyes if you want it a specific color, There is however no way AFAIK to let your dwarfs let go of their precious socks.

You can order your military dwarves to let go of their precious socks by ordering them to "replace clothing" in the equipment screen (instead of "over clothing").

You can order military dwarves to wear specific items of clothing, which is useful for artifacts, but for general outfits, you'd probably prefer to specify a type of clothing (e.g. select (A)rmor and choose "cloak" as the type, or select (B)oots and choose "socks" as the type), then highlight the item and choose a (C)olor. You can also specify a (M)aterial.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16249 on: November 20, 2011, 05:42:11 pm »

Any idea why the dwarven caravan has forsaken me? The caravans aren't showing up anymore after a trogdolyte mauled my liaison.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16250 on: November 20, 2011, 06:41:12 pm »

Some pets in my fortress are killing small animals outside the fort and bringing them inside, even though I've created a corpse stockpile just outside. Help?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16251 on: November 20, 2011, 06:46:19 pm »

Some pets in my fortress are killing small animals outside the fort and bringing them inside, even though I've created a corpse stockpile just outside. Help?

You can fix this by creating a pasture zone covering only areas inside your fortress that you want to keep pest-free, such as your food stockpile, and then assigning those pets to that pasture.

Alternately, create a pasture under a drawbridge, assign the pets to that, and then once they're moved to it raise and lower the drawbridge repeatedly.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16252 on: November 20, 2011, 06:53:24 pm »

Which tile of a magma forge/smelter/kiln is the impassable one?

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #16253 on: November 20, 2011, 09:10:44 pm »

Which tile of a magma forge/smelter/kiln is the impassable one?

It'll show up as the dark green tile during placement. According to the wiki, these tiles are on either side of the forge from the centre, and the top square in the middle for a smelter, kiln or glass furnace. The centre tile has to be on 'dry land' and one of the outside tiles has to be over an empty space, with magma more than 4/7 deep in the room below.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16254 on: November 21, 2011, 10:14:37 am »

Somehow, I ended up with a world apparently without Pig Tails- at least according to dfprospector, there is none on the map nor did my civilisation have access to it. Curiously, it has the same biome information as Cave Wheat, which I have. Why is that? Any solutions?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16255 on: November 21, 2011, 10:20:03 am »

Somehow, I ended up with a world apparently without Pig Tails- at least according to dfprospector, there is none on the map nor did my civilisation have access to it. Curiously, it has the same biome information as Cave Wheat, which I have. Why is that? Any solutions?
Happens. Also try collecting plants underground later, they will only appear in summer/fall.

jeffreyac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16256 on: November 21, 2011, 10:34:33 am »

OK, seeking confirmation of something I'm pretty sure is true:

Building a magma piston, was thinking about trying to make the piston longer by building up a solid section of constructed walls on the top of it above ground, essentially making it taller using constructed walls. After some more thought, though, I believe this will NOT work, as when I drop the piston, the cave-in will cause constructed objects (i.e. my walls) to revert to a chuck of stone, which won't be a wall anymore (and won't displace magma, or anything else in the tile...)  Is this a correct understanding?

But, then again, I know constructed floors during cave ins survive at least long enough to take out floors below (this is how I typically clear the floors from around my magma piston; drop a layer of floors from the top all the way down smashing the floors below...)  But I think they deconstruct at the bottom...

Or, the short version - if you have a cave-in, any constructed items on the cave-in revert back to raw materials, right? Or would they survive if they were on top of the cave-in?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16257 on: November 21, 2011, 10:59:00 am »

I am almost certain they will revert to raw stones (some 97.6% certain), thus stopping your plan to lengthen your magma piston. If it was designed as a reusable piston you could technically lengthen it by splitting the magma before casting, thus allowing you to get 2-4 layers of obsidian for each layer of magma you brought up and therefore lengthening your piston.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16258 on: November 21, 2011, 02:30:47 pm »

Any idea why the dwarven caravan has forsaken me? The caravans aren't showing up anymore after a trogdolyte mauled my liaison.

they'll return sooner or later, with a new liaison
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16259 on: November 21, 2011, 03:09:13 pm »

I should probably be embarrassed not to know this, but can I get by without plaster if I only produce splints instead? Last time I produced both but I didn't exactly pay attention to how they were used (I mean, I'm sure I saw both used, but don't know if it was at the same time).
Pages: 1 ... 1082 1083 [1084] 1085 1086 ... 1178