Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1081 1082 [1083] 1084 1085 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124164 times)

extizonse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16230 on: November 19, 2011, 01:36:19 pm »

So I just make him/her stop doing anything and it'll happen naturally?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16231 on: November 19, 2011, 01:41:09 pm »

Yeah. I also find that it helps to have a lockable door on the office as well. Then when they finally "conduct meeting" in the office you can lock them in and get it done with faster. Also if you aren't above a tiny bit of cheating opening the (d)esignations menu and then designating/undesignating anything with the mouse will (regardless of the game still being paused) make the meeting proceed through the meeting screens. Be warned that cats can adopt dwarves during this semi-time period though, so if you aren't careful then you will start time up again only to be hit with "Cat has adopted Urist x15".
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #16232 on: November 19, 2011, 01:42:40 pm »

So I just make him/her stop doing anything and it'll happen naturally?

Yes- Conduct Meeting is a fairly low-priority job, so you'll likely need to disable all of his labors. Even then you may need to wait a bit as he decides that eating, sleeping, partying, and so forth is more important than meeting with the Liason.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16233 on: November 19, 2011, 02:03:13 pm »

if you got very productive farms you might want to temporarily turn (o)rders - everyone can (h)arvest off
and my guy/girl, i cant tell under those beards, still runs off to put animals in their pens even if that is disabled
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16234 on: November 19, 2011, 02:09:16 pm »

Releasing animals from cages and pasture/penning them is not a part of the animal hauling labor. That labor instead applies to hauling animals while they are in cages (and possibly the empty cages as well, I'm not certain on that one), so it can't be disabled.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16235 on: November 19, 2011, 03:39:28 pm »

Boatmurdered is probably the greatest recruitment drive for the game there has ever been. I imagine it's inspired more people to pick up the game than anything else.

That's what got me playing.  From TVTropes to Boatmurdered to Dwarf Fortress.  I imagine a lot of people have done the same.

I'm also curious about the question of what exactly individual choice melee weapons does.  It appears to me that it's the most valuable weapon of the type the dwarf has the highest skill in.  It's clearly not highest valued weapon period, because I have about 10 extra adamantine axes lying around and a dwarf of mine picked up a copper spear instead.  Then again, I've got a dwarf running around with a copper axe too, which I cannot explain, since he should prefer the adamantine axe.  I don't think he's grown attached to it, but maybe so.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

andreus015

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16236 on: November 19, 2011, 09:33:14 pm »

Help

I alway's play until I set up my living quarters and workshop's plus maybe a cistern, Then I smooth the living quarter's then I get stuck on what to do with all the extra immigrant's above 20??.

1.) How best to explore a cavern??

2.) Are hunter's worth it in embark??

3.) Can you save embark option's

4.) How deep should a cistern be 5 level's deep?

5.) should a workshop area be 40x40 with rooms divided in 40x10??

6.) should quarter's include a cabinet and chest??

7.) To get past an aquafier I channel the sides of something that will be the plug?? how will i get my miner's out. (dig another stairwell into another room??)

8.) how many level's should the plug be?

Sorry for my question's if some of them sound silly if they annoy you please just don't answer them and ignore.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16237 on: November 19, 2011, 10:07:30 pm »

Quote from: andreus015
1.) How best to explore a cavern??
If you have a good military the most efficient way to explore a cavern is to send them out in exploration parties with move commands. Elsewise useless immigrants, nobles, or cats work well.

Depends how much food you bring to start. I personally never really use hunters, preferring to grow all of my food.

3.) Can you save embark option's
I think with "F6"? There is an option at the base of the embark profile screen I believe.

Depends how much you want to store in it. I tend to do 1 z-level cisterns but other then that the only limit is that salt-water involved cisterns should be at least 1 z-level deep.

5.) should a workshop area be 40x40 with rooms divided in 40x10??
I put mine all in separate rooms, but it's really up to you.

6.) should quarter's include a cabinet and chest??
Right now all you need are cabinets, later on when the economy is reactivated you will need chests as well.

7.) To get past an aquafier I channel the sides of something that will be the plug?? how will i get my miner's out. (dig another stairwell into another room??)
8.) how many level's should the plug be?
I find that this method tends to work best with aquifers.

Sorry for my question's if some of them sound silly if they annoy you please just don't answer them and ignore.
No problem at all! That's what this forum is for, so don't be afraid to ask questions. The DF forum-goers are some of the nicest online communities I have met so far in my experiences.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16238 on: November 19, 2011, 11:35:47 pm »

Two questions:

One involved my idiot broker. Does "Bring Item To Depot" trump Trading? I mean, seriously? He traded, then he slept, but I was still waiting for the other dwarves to bring crap to the depot. I check in on him again, and he's doing a "Give Water" job, to a recruit who shouldn't be thirsty. I track him... he gets another "Bring Item To Depot" job. BTW, I've got ALL his labors turned off - no hauling, nothing. I mean, I'd call that a bug, right? Anyone have any thoughts?

2nd... I thought max firing range was something like twenty squares, off the top of my head. But today I had a guy open fire when he was 77 south and 30 west of his target, and his arrows were coming within a few squares of hitting the gob. They were on the same z-level, too. Anyone know the max range at which dwarves will shoot?
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16239 on: November 19, 2011, 11:46:18 pm »

Two questions:

One involved my idiot broker. Does "Bring Item To Depot" trump Trading? I mean, seriously? He traded, then he slept, but I was still waiting for the other dwarves to bring crap to the depot. I check in on him again, and he's doing a "Give Water" job, to a recruit who shouldn't be thirsty. I track him... he gets another "Bring Item To Depot" job. BTW, I've got ALL his labors turned off - no hauling, nothing. I mean, I'd call that a bug, right? Anyone have any thoughts?

2nd... I thought max firing range was something like twenty squares, off the top of my head. But today I had a guy open fire when he was 77 south and 30 west of his target, and his arrows were coming within a few squares of hitting the gob. They were on the same z-level, too. Anyone know the max range at which dwarves will shoot?

"Bring Item To Depot" has no associated hauling labor, dwarves with all labors turned off will still do it. Same with pasturing animals, I believe.

Dwarves will shoot as far as they can see, which is usually a ~20 tile sphere in all directions. I believe the Observer skill can extend a dwarves' sight range, but I could be wrong.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16240 on: November 20, 2011, 12:13:38 am »

"Bring Item To Depot" has no associated hauling labor, dwarves with all labors turned off will still do it. Same with pasturing animals, I believe.

Thanks. That was pretty clear from the fact that after I turned off his labors he still did that. But it just seems odd that that would be higher priority than Trading. Is there a jobs priority list on the wiki? I couldn't find it.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #16241 on: November 20, 2011, 12:20:22 am »

Thanks. That was pretty clear from the fact that after I turned off his labors he still did that. But it just seems odd that that would be higher priority than Trading. Is there a jobs priority list on the wiki? I couldn't find it.

A handy shorthand as regards "Job Priority" is "If the job you want done will greatly inconvenience or threaten the survival of your fort, it is the least important job to any given dwarf."

Although seriously, just about anything that isn't toggled through the labors menu has a lower priority than anything on that menu (although "cleaning" is pretty damn low as well.)

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16242 on: November 20, 2011, 02:30:59 am »

a few questions:

1) i'm interested in making soap both for my hospital (as i enjoy an army based defense over a trap based one, so i'll need a hosptial, plus i'm going to start working with magma pistons, the FUN that will cause >_>). I've heard Lye can become bugged and made with a bucket containing water. How do i avoid this?

2) in a 200 population fortress, how many should be soldiers to actively deal with level 3 caverns, late game sieges and mega beasts.

3) How do i order specific items of clothing to be dyed, and then specific dwarves in the military to wear them?

4) How much use is the textiles industry in general? I've never relied on it before, my wealth usually comes from gold / rock crafts

5) What's the easiest way to attract a dragon to my fort? (i want to tame it, edit the raws so it isnt EXOTIC)

6) For a very interesting game, what should my world gen settings be, and what kind of area should i embark to? (Not a really hard one, but an intermediate kind of area)

7) finally - how do i get captured animals to fight each other? i want to make an arena, and getting a tamed bear i bought off the elves to fight one of my dwarves (unarmed like a boss) didn't work >_>

EDIT: Bonus question - How much does designating high traffic, low traffic areas increase fps? is it worth it? (i've already set G_FPS and such things to help, i can hold steady on 40 on my 10 year fort during a siege)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 02:33:08 am by Number7 »

extizonse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16243 on: November 20, 2011, 03:44:01 am »

Still playing, still surviving!

Thanks for answering my question about conducting a meeting.

Now: I have farms being irrigated through "fill pond" where I split the zones up into 3x1 squares (over a 3x3 plot) so more dwarves will water it, and water it more. This is just for starting my plot out, but now most of my dwarves are filling the pond. There's no way to stop them from doing this job manually is there?

I realize if I spread one zone over the area one dwarf will fill it at a time (I believe?), which is fine after the plot below is muddied, but right now I need about 3-4 dwarves filling it, and the rest doing other things.

Is there any way to work around this without trial and error zone splitting?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 03:45:53 am by extizonse »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16244 on: November 20, 2011, 03:56:35 am »

Help

I alway's play until I set up my living quarters and workshop's plus maybe a cistern, Then I smooth the living quarter's then I get stuck on what to do with all the extra immigrant's above 20??.

just some extra on this:
2: no. you dont have time to spare on making more bolts, you dont have points to spare on a crossbow and extra bolts, or on making him an actual adequate hunter. The easiest way to supplement your food is to bring some turkeys or chickens. 2 or 3 can supply dozens of people with eggs, making farming less of an issue to start right off, except for brewing.

4: at least 3 levels, or 2, i forgot the exact details. Why? water gotten from too close to the bottom will be "laced with mud". Contaminated. Your dirty dwarfs will still wash with it, but its useless for prisoners or hospital use
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 ... 1081 1082 [1083] 1084 1085 ... 1178