Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1080 1081 [1082] 1083 1084 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124193 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16215 on: November 18, 2011, 02:38:37 pm »

is it wrong to butcher dogs?
Not in the slightest. Here in the DF forums we accept those who prefer butchering just about anything, be they dogs, kittens, elves, or even dwarves! (In other word, we are equal opportunity butcherers!)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16216 on: November 18, 2011, 02:57:52 pm »

is it wrong to butcher dogs?

There's no ETHIC:EAT_DOG tag in the entity files, so nobody will mind if you do.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16217 on: November 18, 2011, 03:51:01 pm »

wel, dogs breed like rabbits, np there
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16218 on: November 18, 2011, 04:37:35 pm »

I was all set to go all Phoenix Wright on that, but it turns out that dogs do in fact breed like rabbits. And so does everything else with an adult age of 1 and no defined litter size. Ah, DF...
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Goodguy3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16219 on: November 18, 2011, 05:57:38 pm »

How many "units" of a drink will a dwarf use up? I imagine it varies depending upon how thirsty he is, but what is the norm (If there is one)?
It was a few moments later that my brain supplied the information that it might actually be the name for a male Ostrich..

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16220 on: November 18, 2011, 06:01:25 pm »

Always one unit, and they drink 16 times per year from what I've read (but I never counted).

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16221 on: November 18, 2011, 09:17:57 pm »

Is there any way to cancel a soldier's pickup equipment task?

Rune_Wolf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16222 on: November 18, 2011, 10:33:53 pm »

1. World generation: what kind of settlement/structure does a bold white "O" represent on the map? (They're everywhere in my world, but I couldn't find them in the wiki.)

2. Would anyone be interested in an account of my inevitably doomed colonists? (To accompany my inevitable descent into ominous questions, like "How long does it take a dwarf to starve?" followed by "How do I get the tailor to sew body bags?", lol)

3. Is it a bad thing the Chronicle of Boatmurdered inspired me to play?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16223 on: November 18, 2011, 11:56:49 pm »

1. World generation: what kind of settlement/structure does a bold white "O" represent on the map? (They're everywhere in my world, but I couldn't find them in the wiki.)

2. Would anyone be interested in an account of my inevitably doomed colonists? (To accompany my inevitable descent into ominous questions, like "How long does it take a dwarf to starve?" followed by "How do I get the tailor to sew body bags?", lol)

1: I think it was human fort, in adventure mode

2: see DF dwarf mode discusion or other aplicable sub-forums, you're not the only one making a sort of journal

3: no

-
i bought some cages from merchants and there were some tame vermin inside. What can i do with those?
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16224 on: November 19, 2011, 05:31:45 am »

Is there any way to cancel a soldier's pickup equipment task?
Forbidding whatever he wants to pickup works.

I have to do this frequently, as my military dwarves have a tendency to stand over whatever they're trying to pick up for months at a time without actually picking it up.

Nick

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16225 on: November 19, 2011, 05:46:38 am »

i bought some cages from merchants and there were some tame vermin inside. What can i do with those?

Pit them or assign them to a single built cage.

Question: what does "Individual Choice- Melee" mean in an uniform? Will the dwarf grab
a, something random,
b, most valuable weapon he has the highest skill in, nothing if he's not at least novice in something,
c, something else?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 06:16:32 am by Tirion »
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16226 on: November 19, 2011, 11:10:02 am »

my military dwarves have a tendency to stand over whatever they're trying to pick up for months at a time without actually picking it up.

This usually means you've got too many layers of clothing on a given body part, and the dwarf can't wear all of it.  So she's going back and forth, dropping one and equipping the other, then switching, until she gets thirsty/tired/hungry.  This mostly happens when you've allowed them to wear their civilian gear together with their uniform, depending on which kind of civilian clothing your civilization happens to have.  (Togas are a prime culprit.)

The solution is to turn off the "Over clothing" option, so that they only wear the uniform you've assigned and nothing else.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16227 on: November 19, 2011, 11:21:27 am »

Boatmurdered is probably the greatest recruitment drive for the game there has ever been. I imagine it's inspired more people to pick up the game than anything else.

extizonse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16228 on: November 19, 2011, 12:59:14 pm »

For the first time ever I haven't starved, and am sustaining stability with 17 dwarves.

(minus having an army whenever the goblins decide to rape/pillage me)

Problem though: how do I conduct a meeting with the liason? I have an office, etc, I just don't know how to actually "Conduct Meeting" ?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16229 on: November 19, 2011, 01:17:57 pm »

get your outpost leader to stand still for long enough
Pages: 1 ... 1080 1081 [1082] 1083 1084 ... 1178