Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1077 1078 [1079] 1080 1081 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124219 times)

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16170 on: November 15, 2011, 11:15:51 am »

Can dwarfs die of exhaustion? I had a dwarf drop dead in the middle of a very long fight (weeks long) without being hit, without the hungry or thirsty flags.
« Reply #16171 on: November 15, 2011, 11:26:13 am »

just equiping my military, and at this point i want to save on resources. so what pieces of armour should i forge? i know mail shirts are the only armour that protect the upper arm/shoulder, so i am making them (espicaly since a giant badger ripped the right arm clean off one of my hunters not 10 mins after embarking- shes now my sheriff, as i imangine that she cant do a lot of damage with 1 arm). but if i have mail shirts do i need breastplates? helms or caps? leggings and/or greaves (do they stack/cover different body parts)? high boots or low boots?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16172 on: November 15, 2011, 01:00:10 pm »

Can dwarfs die of exhaustion? I had a dwarf drop dead in the middle of a very long fight (weeks long) without being hit, without the hungry or thirsty flags.
No, however if the dwarf passed out from exhaustion the next hit is virtually guaranteed to be a killing blow unless he is saved by awesome head armor.

just equiping my military, and at this point i want to save on resources. so what pieces of armour should i forge? i know mail shirts are the only armour that protect the upper arm/shoulder, so i am making them (espicaly since a giant badger ripped the right arm clean off one of my hunters not 10 mins after embarking- shes now my sheriff, as i imangine that she cant do a lot of damage with 1 arm). but if i have mail shirts do i need breastplates? helms or caps? leggings and/or greaves (do they stack/cover different body parts)? high boots or low boots?
The military design page on the wiki has some basic ideas for uniforms before and while you are limited on metal. As for what armor tends to be the best, mail shirts/breastplates are very useful for protecting the body. Also helms are essential for saving dwarves that collapse due to wounds or exhaustion as enemies will automatically target the head. Robes are also extremely useful for protecting the few holes in a fully armored dwarf's armor such as the neck and throat, and have the benefit of being made from cloth and not metal. Shields are also immensely helpful in allowing your dwarves to survive attacks, possibly even more so than many pieces of armor. Finally all armor parts stack if they cover the same body part.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

evillevi

• Bay Watcher
  • Love Boat murder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16173 on: November 15, 2011, 08:49:38 pm »

what will happen when non-magma proof walls touches magma
Love Boat murder

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16174 on: November 15, 2011, 08:51:12 pm »

Nothing.  Constructions (including walls and floors) are immune to magma, even if they're made of wood.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

evillevi

• Bay Watcher
  • Love Boat murder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16175 on: November 15, 2011, 09:41:05 pm »

Thanks but still it seem somewhat unrealistic. I mean the melting/burning point should be the same as the material it is mad out of. Thanks anyway but now I got to find out the best way to collapse the building.
Love Boat murder

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16176 on: November 15, 2011, 09:52:22 pm »

If you deconstruct the walls/floors made of non-manma safe materials, then they will come in contact with the magma as items, rather than constructions, and they will burn (or melt, depending on why they aren't magma safe).

So I think you'd probably be able to drop a wooden container of magma on the goblins, with the goblins immediately underneath dying due to a cave-in, nearby goblins being burned up by a wave of magma, and have a bunch of flaming logs in the middle of it all. Less reusability, but more ‼fun‼ (and/or ‼FUN‼).

Another option would be to try a wood stockpile on a collapsible floor, and drop a small amount of magma onto the pile to start a fire before dropping it on the goblins. Or just a wood stockpile in the target zone and drop a small amount of magma to light it.

evillevi

• Bay Watcher
  • Love Boat murder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16177 on: November 16, 2011, 12:51:33 am »

Thats genius. Can't wait to set it up.
Love Boat murder

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16178 on: November 16, 2011, 06:52:13 am »

yes, when in metal armor and doing a lot of dodging or other moves, dwarfs can pass out from exhaustion. I have seen this happen in danger rooms with high training spear density. It depends on how durable the warrior in question is.

the worst happening in the training room is no more learning, i imagine its a bad move in a running battle
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16179 on: November 16, 2011, 10:27:04 am »

shes now my sheriff, as i imangine that she cant do a lot of damage with 1 arm

Dwarves that use the use an arm/hand will hold weapon and shield in the other hand.  At the same time.  To the best of my knowledge, this does not a significant impact on the damage they do with that weapon.  Dwarves having 2 hands is more of a redundancy thing than a requirement for any particular task.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16180 on: November 16, 2011, 12:27:37 pm »

shes now my sheriff, as i imangine that she cant do a lot of damage with 1 arm
Dwarves that use the use an arm/hand will hold weapon and shield in the other hand.  At the same time.  To the best of my knowledge, this does not a significant impact on the damage they do with that weapon.  Dwarves having 2 hands is more of a redundancy thing than a requirement for any particular task.
With an exception of holding two handed weapons, of which there aren't really any for dwarves in vanilla anyways.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16181 on: November 16, 2011, 02:42:44 pm »

Is there a way to turn unbutcherable skeletons into usable bones? My dorfs have no problem using goblin bones, but they won't butcher the corpses nor the skeletons, so I can only use what's from my trap line: if a serrated green glass disk cuts off an arm, it'll rot into bones. Actually, if corpses get torn apart by big falls, I might have just an idea... do they?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16182 on: November 16, 2011, 02:46:59 pm »

Unfortunately once a corpse is created nothing can be done to free up the bones from the corpse. The only real way to solve the problem is to change what way the corpse is created in. Large z-drops work great for causing goblins to burst into pieces, or large numbers of serrated disks in traps will work also, though not as well as the z-drop method. The only thing you can do with the corpses is to dump them into magma or use them as some kind of macabre dining room piece.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16183 on: November 16, 2011, 03:21:04 pm »

its why i tried smashing spiked balls this time. Unfortunately, those have the drawback that the creatures that die at them often get stuck in them. I forgot if ir was possible to pit such items, one of my forts is cluttering with severed body parts too

be informed that trolls and ogres are fairly unhindered by spinning discs, sometimes even iron ones, and if you have steel, you could outfit a good militia

my idea, though i could be wrong, is to go for a 50/50 in serrated discs and spiked balls. Even if the discs are deflected (happens often with both silver and copper against trolls wearing spider silk!, iron goes a bit better), the balls will often break or fracture or even shatter bones, if not just hurt

i now tend to a spacious area to let enemies in, a pressure plate to close the gate and several tpes of traps to kill or capture

first i put some serrated discs, they cut up unarmored and unskilled enemies and rarely get stuck
then people run into spiked ball traps. even a relatively weak trap will crush a brain (copper/silver) or at least incapacitate an enemy

when enemies ran this far, i usually open the gate again, allowing escape. most die trying to get back, some die before getting to the early traps

some are so tough they make it further. cage traps. this is a guy i want my marksdwarfs to train on

If anyone makes it past that (i dont open the shortcuts only for cleanup) they get to the spikes, that fire based on how many people walk in and out of the dining hall

After that i have a small area now for a small cave-in
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 02:17:45 am by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16184 on: November 16, 2011, 10:09:51 pm »

be informed that trolls and ogres are fairly unhindered by spinning discs, sometimes even iron ones
Enormous corkscrews have 1/1000 the contact area of serrated discs and the same penetration. Only one attack per corkscrew, though, and I think they jam more often than the other trap weapons, so stick them at the end of the trap corridor.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 ... 1077 1078 [1079] 1080 1081 ... 1178