Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1075 1076 [1077] 1078 1079 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124243 times)

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16140 on: November 14, 2011, 12:28:14 pm »

Is it possible to find use for dwarf without left upper arm?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #16141 on: November 14, 2011, 12:36:49 pm »

Is it possible to find use for dwarf without left upper arm?

Does he have his right arm? If so, then he can still do things- if he can't use either arm, then there isn't much he can do beyond socialize.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #16142 on: November 14, 2011, 12:37:16 pm »

If he/she still has a functioning right arm, then they should be OK (check health screen maybe). Otherwise, assign them to a squad with no equipment or rations and try and get them to Legendary Biter.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 01:19:49 pm by rhesusmacabre »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16143 on: November 14, 2011, 12:53:14 pm »

if i get one without legs I'm gonna call him arnold sideways
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #16144 on: November 14, 2011, 04:56:43 pm »

are aquifirs infinite water sources?

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16145 on: November 14, 2011, 05:02:07 pm »

Yes, aquifers are infinite water sources.  They are also infinite water sinks.

Hmm.  Perhaps they're actually connections to the elemental plane of water then!

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #16146 on: November 14, 2011, 05:04:51 pm »

i was channeling and i misdesignated, and an aquifier was a wall in my fort, only quarter of the map is an aquifier.

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
Many technical questions
« Reply #16147 on: November 14, 2011, 05:20:10 pm »

Hello! I’ve been playing for awhile now and have a few questions I can’t seem to get the details on in the wiki (excellent resource!) and I have tried to search this board but often I get way too many results for my search terms, and most of them are unrelated to my questions. If something has been answered before in this 1000+ page thread I apologize. I will letter my questions for ease of answering. I chose to put my questions here rather than start a new thread - I hope that was the right decision to get the most pairs of eyes on my questions since they are a bit technical.

Military:

a.   When a military dwarf grows attached to a weapon, does this translate to any benefit in combat?

b.   I am very liberal with my military (squads of 10 with only 6 up at any given time) and yet they bitterly complain about long deployment and it’s keeping their morale down. What gives?

c.   As a corollary to b, is there any benefit to having larger or smaller squads? Is there a point where there are so many dwarves that they are hindering rather than helping each other in combat?

d.   Also, is there any benefit to having mixed squads vs. weapon specific ones?

e.   Can training in basic combat skills (non weapon specific, like fighting) take place between squads if they have the same barracks, or do squads only train with their specific squad? Also, if I have a dwarf who is legendary in a fighting skill, will his teaching benefit all or just the ones in his squad? Does it make sense then to have a large “training” squad with your two best guys and 8 recruits, until they all become competent?

f.   Is there any benefit to military happiness to having an awesome barracks, or only their room and dining hall?

g.   How many z levels must a goblin fall to reliably kill it? I have a 5 z level drop trap and it barely scratches them. Also, will a long fall damage the equipment they are wearing? I just plan to melt it.

h.   In the military screen, the ammo field, is that how many bolts are reserved for entire squad or each dwarf (e.g. I have it set as 100 metal for combat and 100 wood and 100 bone for practice).

General Happiness:

i.   What is the benefit to a dwarf if they prefer a material? I had a noble who liked copper, but copper is a pretty worthless metal, so in that case is it better to make him a copper statue or just one of a high value material like gold? What is “preference” worth?

j.   Is there any limit to the happiness boost of bedrooms/dining rooms? What I mean is, can you solve any problem by just giving everyone an engraved room with gold statues, or is there some hard limit to the amount of “good” thoughts a room can generate.

k.   I had a noble who was utterly traumatized by a lesser’s living arrangement, but he had by far the largest and best room in the fort. No one even came close. Is this thought based on relative wealth or do nobles just get pissed if commoners go above a set wealth value, no matter how many times more wealthy they are in comparison?

l.   If I have a legendary clothier making awesome clothes, do my dwarves raid my stockpile to upgrade their own wardrobe or do they always stay in the clothes they came with, leaving all the good stuff for export? I’d actually LIKE them to upgrade their threads if they can.

Other Questions:

m.   I noticed in a youtube let’s play that a player build a wall right on the edge of the map – literally the edge. He did this in the caverns but my question is for both caverns and surface. If you do this and say wall off everything but one small area, will this automatically force all invasions/caravans/wild animals/forgotten beasts to enter your map from only that point?

n.   I’ve heard that for FB’s with syndromes that you should allow your dwarves to walk through water to clean themselves to prevent spreading. Trouble is, any flowing water eventually reaches 7/7 and drowns your dwarves. Is it possible to create say a constant flow of 2/7 or 3/7 water? How is cleaning dwarves accomplished?

o.   What is the optimal size for farm plots? Lets separate food farming from textile/dye farming, though I’d like to optimize both, both surface and underground varieties. Right now I have 208 dwarves, but any rule of thumb would be helpful.

p.   I like the idea of underground civs, but is there any chance in the future they can actually have buildings and defenses, rather than just wandering groups of essentially mobs (in the MMO use of the term)? A dwarf can defend a “burrow” so it shouldn’t be too hard to use that same concept to create a cavern society you can trade with and who will only become hostile if you enter their “burrow.”

Thank you all! From this board to the wiki to all the lets plays on youtube (more than most commercial games) one of the main strengths of DF is the community - I think the fact that the game is ungodly complicated only makes we, the chosen few, more proud and fanatical about it. If I have to listen to another person telling me how much I'd love Minecraft...ehhhhh.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Many technical questions
« Reply #16148 on: November 14, 2011, 06:09:27 pm »

Military:

a.   When a military dwarf grows attached to a weapon, does this translate to any benefit in combat?
not really

b.   I am very liberal with my military (squads of 10 with only 6 up at any given time) and yet they bitterly complain about long deployment and it’s keeping their morale down. What gives?
throw them out of the squad for a season or so, enjoying life as a civilian, AOL, every soldier needs it. Even when not active, they'll be on standby and kinda edgy, sticking to the barracks area. Build royal bedrooms and legendary dining halls there so they stay happy longer?

c.   As a corollary to b, is there any benefit to having larger or smaller squads? Is there a point where there are so many dwarves that they are hindering rather than helping each other in combat?
Training seems to benefit from even numbers. Also, more squads means more flexibility where you can deploy

d.   Also, is there any benefit to having mixed squads vs. weapon specific ones?
More the other way around. Squads will train together, and spear dwarf will learn faster from another spear user, moreover, they wont have to watch axe demonstrations. That being said, multiple squads barracked in the same area will pick up some basics from glancing at the others anyway, even if they dont participate. CIVILIANS will gain rudimentary combat skills from seeing a weapon demonstration

e.   Can training in basic combat skills (non weapon specific, like fighting) take place between squads if they have the same barracks, or do squads only train with their specific squad? Also, if I have a dwarf who is legendary in a fighting skill, will his teaching benefit all or just the ones in his squad? Does it make sense then to have a large “training” squad with your two best guys and 8 recruits, until they all become competent?
Part of it already answered. The bigger the difference the faster the learning, teacher, observer and student skills may help

f.   Is there any benefit to military happiness to having an awesome barracks, or only their room and dining hall?
what? you havnt remade the whole fort in gold anway, because you can? shame on you. They get happy thoughts from any high quality items they interact with. demolishing beds and replacing them with better ones works, so just strife for the best

g.   How many z levels must a goblin fall to reliably kill it? I have a 5 z level drop trap and it barely scratches them. Also, will a long fall damage the equipment they are wearing? I just plan to melt it.
the equipment never damages. Dont know about the fall, just drop him in a heavilly trapped place

h.   In the military screen, the ammo field, is that how many bolts are reserved for entire squad or each dwarf (e.g. I have it set as 100 metal for combat and 100 wood and 100 bone for practice).
I never study that much into that
training always uses lowest quality, but emmmm... it means 100 bolts are reserved for training, 100 for hunting (unless you changed it) so it may be a bit hard to get enough bolts for fighting. For actual fighting they collect the best bolts anyway

General Happiness:

i.   What is the benefit to a dwarf if they prefer a material? I had a noble who liked copper, but copper is a pretty worthless metal, so in that case is it better to make him a copper statue or just one of a high value material like gold? What is “preference” worth?
Keeps a noble happy, they're an annoying bunch
try to find someone who likes statues or something generic like that. Keeping your workers happy is always good

j.   Is there any limit to the happiness boost of bedrooms/dining rooms? What I mean is, can you solve any problem by just giving everyone an engraved room with gold statues, or is there some hard limit to the amount of “good” thoughts a room can generate.

almost

k.   I had a noble who was utterly traumatized by a lesser’s living arrangement, but he had by far the largest and best room in the fort. No one even came close. Is this thought based on relative wealth or do nobles just get pissed if commoners go above a set wealth value, no matter how many times more wealthy they are in comparison?
Press (n)oble to see what he wanted

l.   If I have a legendary clothier making awesome clothes, do my dwarves raid my stockpile to upgrade their own wardrobe or do they always stay in the clothes they came with, leaving all the good stuff for export? I’d actually LIKE them to upgrade their threads if they can.
Dunno.

Other Questions:

m.   I noticed in a youtube let’s play that a player build a wall right on the edge of the map – literally the edge. He did this in the caverns but my question is for both caverns and surface. If you do this and say wall off everything but one small area, will this automatically force all invasions/caravans/wild animals/forgotten beasts to enter your map from only that point?

n.   I’ve heard that for FB’s with syndromes that you should allow your dwarves to walk through water to clean themselves to prevent spreading. Trouble is, any flowing water eventually reaches 7/7 and drowns your dwarves. Is it possible to create say a constant flow of 2/7 or 3/7 water? How is cleaning dwarves accomplished?
Use floodgates, bridges (act like walls when up) and pumps to regulate water level

o.   What is the optimal size for farm plots? Lets separate food farming from textile/dye farming, though I’d like to optimize both, both surface and underground varieties. Right now I have 208 dwarves, but any rule of thumb would be helpful.
with 115 dwarf pop, 6x 3x3 underground and 4 3x3 above ground produce so many crops my storage is overflowing and i cant brew alcohol because all barrels are ful of plants or seeds
the rest of the storage is full with lavish meals that i made with farm products, trying to reduce the amount of seeds. I'd say a couple of 2x3 plots will see you through a long, long time

p.   I like the idea of underground civs, but is there any chance in the future they can actually have buildings and defenses, rather than just wandering groups of essentially mobs (in the MMO use of the term)? A dwarf can defend a “burrow” so it shouldn’t be too hard to use that same concept to create a cavern society you can trade with and who will only become hostile if you enter their “burrow.”

try looking at some of the mods

Hello! I’ve been playing for awhile now and have a few questions I can’t seem to get the details on in the wiki (excellent resource!) and I have tried to search this board but often I get way too many results for my search terms, and most of them are unrelated to my questions. If something has been answered before in this 1000+ page thread I apologize. I will letter my questions for ease of answering. I chose to put my questions here rather than start a new thread - I hope that was the right decision to get the most pairs of eyes on my questions since they are a bit technical.
Thank you all! From this board to the wiki to all the lets plays on youtube (more than most commercial games) one of the main strengths of DF is the community - I think the fact that the game is ungodly complicated only makes we, the chosen few, more proud and fanatical about it. If I have to listen to another person telling me how much I'd love Minecraft...ehhhhh.

Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Many technical questions
« Reply #16149 on: November 14, 2011, 06:12:59 pm »

Ten Z-levels should kill any goblin.  9 Z-levels will kill most of them, but leave some badly injured.  Items such as armor will not be damaged by falls, so you don't need to worry about that.  Note that if a falling creature lands on another creature both are uninjured, so if there's a dwarf or stray kitten or something at the bottom of the pit when you drop your goblins, you can end up with uninjured goblins at the bottom of your pit.

There is a limit to how much of a good thought a room can give, but it's pretty high.  You can solve a lot of happiness problems with a really, really nice dining room.

Nobles get angry when any dwarf has a room that is nicer than that dwarf requires.  How nice that room is compared to the noble's rooms doesn't matter.  When making nice rooms for happiness, it's best to start with unowned, communal spaces like the dining room.

Dwarves will claim new clothing when theirs starts to wear out, but they will never put it on.  This is a bug in the current version.  If you give them cabinets in their bedrooms, they may eventually store their new clothes there.  You can force them to wear new clothing by putting them in the military and assigning them outfits.

You can build walls right up to the map edge underground.  On the surface you can't build walls within 5 tiles of the map edge.  This is supposed to prevent you from walling off the map edge.  It does not, as you can still build raising drawbridges up to the edge and then raise them to create walls.  If you wall off all but a small part of the edge this way, anything entering the map will be forced to spawn in that open spot.

Yes, but it's tricky.  You need to have one inflow that spreads out into multiple tiles, then drains into the caverns or off the edge of the map.  It's easy to screw up horribly.  It also runs the risk of creating pools of contamination that then get on other dwarves that walk through them before the water can wash them away.  These days I prefer to use wells for cleaning.  If you have wells, built over water, your dwarves will use them to clean themselves, especially if you also have soap.

It's usually less than you think you need.  I get by with one or two 3X3 farm plots per type of plant I'm growing, but I also rely heavily on eggs and meat for food, and trade for booze and cloth, and my fortresses are rarely over 100 dwarves.

It would be nice, but there's no function in place for that at the moment.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16150 on: November 14, 2011, 06:27:25 pm »

Nope. There are no benefits to having a named weapon except that dwarves don't want to get rid of it in uniform assignments.

There are a couple of things that can solve this problem. One is if you assign food/water to your dwarves then they will take breaks much quicker, allowing more of them to take breaks and helping to prevent bad thoughts. Another is to simply train them until they hit "Lord" or "Master" status, at which point they will no longer complain. The third way is to do a simple 1 month on 1 month off schedule where the dwarves train for a month and then are civilians for a month.

The benefits from larger or smaller squads comes in how they train, regardless of how many dwarves are in a squad no combat penalties/bonuses will be given. In regards to how they train, smaller squads tend to spar more then larger squads as they do less demonstrations. This tends to help early dwarves attempting to become skilled. however if you have a dwarf who already is trained in a skill, it might be more profitable to form larger squads as this allows that single skilled dwarf to train more recruits simultaneously.

Weapon specific squads are a huge bonus to demonstrations. By having all the dwarves in a squad use the same weapon then they can train any new recruits in the weapon, a thing that wouldn't be possible if they were all axedwarves and the new recruit was a macdwarf for example.

Dwarves will only train/spar/demonstrate with others in their squad. As such it sometimes is more useful to have a large training squad like I mentioned in my answer to c.

There is no happiness benefit from having an awesome barracks, excluding admiration of furniture or other things placed inside of them. No happy thought is directly related to barracks quality levels. You should have room to spar in your barracks however, or dwarves may have problems training.

I find that 10 z-levels works on most things. You could probably get away with less, but I prefer safe then sorry. Also armor is not damaged by anything, from combat to falling, and is always in top condition. Clothes on the other hand are only able to be damaged by age. As for the melting don't forget that it is no longer necessary to reforge goblinite for dwarves to be able to wear it, and early fortress militaries can be easily equipped with the remnants of the first goblin ambush.

I believe it is for each dwarf in the squad.

Preference helps in the happy thoughts gained from admiring the material or working with it. It doesn't actually count towards room quality however, so if you need to raise the room quality it is better to put something expensive in, however after that it might be better to give them something they like. Also keep in mind that nobles who prefer a material will tend to mandate construction of things made from that material or place trade embargoes on that material.

The only limit is in how often they admire the room and are pleased by it. While this does stop personal rooms from being an "ecstatic machine", they do go a long way towards keeping your fort happy. Make a note that nobles will be jealous of dwarves with rooms above their station however, and can get rather serious bad thoughts if enough dwarves have awesome rooms.

As I mentioned in my last answer, this thought tends to pop up when dwarves have rooms that are "better than they deserve". As such regardless of whether or not the noble has the best one they will still be jealous of those carpenters with cool rooms, even though they are much worse then theirs.

Currently there is a bug where though dwarves will claim new clothes when their wear out, they will never actually put them on. when this is fixed dwarves should upgrade their clothes when their wear out however.

I don't believe that it currently is possible to build right at the map edge, though you could certainly build one tile away. If you do perform what you suggested though then yes, visitors would only spawn at that particular location, whether it is aboveground or underground.

Check out the wiki entry for Dwarven Bathtubs, as well as this thread on mist generators. Either one will work to clean your dwarves, but I find that the best way is a combination of both with the mist generation point located over the bathtub. Together the bathtub will remove contaminants from your dwarves and then the mist generator will remove them from the bathtub, resulting in true removal of any dangerous FB slimes.

It depends on how much you are planning on growing of a particular plant and how many farmers you have. I personally like to use a few 5x5's, but there are several different ways of doing it. As a general rule if you are planning on growing a lot of a particular plant (your main food crop for example) then have a bigger plot. Where if you are only planning on growing a little of a plant (dyes for example) then have a smaller plot.

I believe this is planned eventually, however it hasn't actually been stated in the next group of releases, so if anything does happen it will be at the whims of Toady.

Edit: Darn. Double Ninja'd! Still I spent like 15 min typing this so I'm posting it anyways dang nabit! :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #16151 on: November 14, 2011, 06:59:00 pm »

Thank you all for your answers!

I disagree with the noble's programming, though. I think as long as their room is far and away the best, it shouldn't matter to them it others have good room. It's not like Bill Gates gets mad that the average American lives a lot better than the average citizen of a developing nation.

In terms of walling off your space, I was thinking about creating a + pattern with walls effectively separating the entire region into four unconnected areas (with my fort entrance in the middle). That way, if a merchant and a vile force of darkness both spawn, maybe they will spawn in different quadrants and won't be able to fight each other. That works until the game is fixed so civs don't declare war on YOU if the goblins kill their merchants. (they certainly don't if the merchants get killed "off screen", so I don't see why it matters if they are in eyesight of your fortress.)

Actually, that leads to another question. Will offering large sums of goods to a nation (say the elves) make them less likely to be upset at your woodcutting and less likely to declare war if their merchants are ambushed by goblins?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16152 on: November 14, 2011, 09:45:26 pm »

How does the combination mist generator / dwarf dip work, exactly?

'Nother question. Do adamantine caps wear?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 10:15:49 pm by Sutremaine »
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16153 on: November 14, 2011, 11:17:57 pm »

For the combination of the dwarven bathtub and the mist generator you set it up as follows.

Top view | ^=ramp up | ÷=pump | Ω=statue | _=floor | X=wall |  =empty space
Code: [Select]
z-level -1                    z-level 0                     z-level 1
XXXXXXXXXX                    XXXXXXXXXX                    XXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXX                    XX^XX^XXXX                    XX ÷÷ XXXX
XXXXXXXXXX                    XXXXXXXXXX                    XX÷__÷____
XX^XXXXXXX                    __ _______                    XX÷__÷____
XX^XXXXXXX                    __ __Ω____                    XX ÷÷ XXXX
XX^XXXXXXX                    __ _______                    XXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXX                    XXXXXXXXXX                    XXXXXXXXXX

1)Dig/channel/build design above. This is designed for a 3 wide path, but it could easily be adapted to a 1-4 wide path, after that you need more mist generators. (Note that it is irrelevant whether the pumps are built taking clockwise or counterclockwise, they should all take from each other in a ring however. Also the statue could be theoretically replaced with a wall grate, fortification, or nothing if you don't mind constant "dangerous terrain" spamming.)
2)Instruct your dwarves to fill the top right channeled area until it is 7/7 water and to fill the dwarven bathtub up until all of its tiles are 3/7.
3)Connect the pumps to a power source, it doesn't matter what it is, but it should be constant. If you wish to shut down the mist generator to save FPS when you don't need it then it is best to build another pump that takes from one of the four corners of the mist generator and places the water to the side. This can then be activated and it will eventually pull your 7/7 block of water out of the mist generator, allowing it to be shut down safely.

At this point your combination dwarven bathtub/mist generator is complete, granting you nigh safety from FB slimes spreading throughout the populace. When a dwarf walks into the bathtub, the water soaks them, cleaning them of any contaminants completely and accumulating the contaminants in the bathtub. Then over time the mist falling from the mist generator falls upon the tiles of the dwarven bathtub, completely cleaning any contaminants that have accumulated. This then prevents other dwarves that walk into the pool from being exposed to any slimes sloshing around in the water.

As for the adamantine caps, I believe they are considered "clothing" and not "armor", so they would wear over time.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16154 on: November 14, 2011, 11:54:01 pm »

Ah, so it doesn't matter where the mist is generated as long as it gets into the trench at some point?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 ... 1075 1076 [1077] 1078 1079 ... 1178