Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1070 1071 [1072] 1073 1074 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124343 times)

Moth Bones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16065 on: November 10, 2011, 05:21:02 pm »

Is there a way to fine tune dumping? What I have are large areas filled with granite (useless) and dolomite (flux) which look the same; I'd like to be able to designate just the granite for dumping.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16066 on: November 10, 2011, 06:46:19 pm »

Is there a way to fine tune dumping? What I have are large areas filled with granite (useless) and dolomite (flux) which look the same; I'd like to be able to designate just the granite for dumping.

d->b->d designates a mass dump and under z->stocks you can designate or undesignate items wholesale for dumping or melting, or forbid or hide them. This includes dumping all the granite you mined out with just a couple of keystrokes.

Moth Bones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16067 on: November 10, 2011, 07:32:04 pm »

Aaaaaahhhh... so if I designate granite for dumping in the Stocks menu, does this automatically mark all granite? Or do I still have to mark out a zone as well?

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16068 on: November 10, 2011, 07:45:48 pm »

How can I carry magma, from the lower regions up to the top regions, without screw pumps.  I want to put 6 magma 2 levels above my gatehouse.  Such that, I can pull a lever and open 6 steel hatches and pour it all down on invaders?  I'd like to first put 6 alcohol 1 level above my gatehouse, in line with the magma, so that it falls before the magma.  Drop that first, onto the invaders, and then light them up with magma.  But I'm having difficulty finding a way to put magma up there in the setup.  I've got the hatches and booze all setup.  Is there a container that holds magma?  And if so, how do I put magma into that container?  How do you achieve this?

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #16069 on: November 10, 2011, 09:06:24 pm »

why is this thread so popular?

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16070 on: November 10, 2011, 09:18:47 pm »

Aaaaaahhhh... so if I designate granite for dumping in the Stocks menu, does this automatically mark all granite? Or do I still have to mark out a zone as well?
The stocks screen will mark all the unused granite in your fortress for dumping.  No need for marking anyplace else if you did it there.  But you will need a bookeeper with records high enough to have individual objects in that category.  Anything with a ? next to it you can't do it with until your bookeeper is set to higher detail.

why is this thread so popular?
Because it's a helpful, obvious place for people to post questions without having to make a new thread.  Some people don't like posting new threads. 

Take me for instance. 4.4 thousand some posts, only 29 threads started by me.  I do not like posting a new thread unless it is the only way to do what I want, and even then I'll usually just not bother if it is.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 09:20:37 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16071 on: November 10, 2011, 09:53:57 pm »

Once a dwarf is in a coffin, is there any way to rebury them? I'd love to move some of my important dwarfs into nicer tombs.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16072 on: November 10, 2011, 10:47:02 pm »

Once a dwarf is in a coffin, is there any way to rebury them? I'd love to move some of my important dwarfs into nicer tombs.
I believe if you destroy their coffin they will return to the "waiting for burial" line in which case they can be reburied in a new coffin. Other than that though there isn't a way sadly.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16073 on: November 11, 2011, 04:15:57 am »

You select an item type (granite, larch logs, pig tails, corpses) and mark it for dumping without expanding the category or whatever, then all of it gets marked that way. Even what you've already dumped or used in buildings, neither of which should worry you.

An exception to this rule is the melt designation, but even that will only omit items that are already built.

Disclaimer: I don't know if doing this requires precise records (i.e., bookkeeping), but if it does then you just need a bookkeeper with an office and some time on their hands.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16074 on: November 11, 2011, 04:32:11 am »

you usually want a bookkeeper anyway. Nothing is worse than finding out that you dont actually have that 100 store of alcohol anymore
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16075 on: November 11, 2011, 08:25:27 am »

I believe if you destroy their coffin they will return to the "waiting for burial" line in which case they can be reburied in a new coffin. Other than that though there isn't a way sadly.

You can just order their casket deconstructed by using (q)->(x) over the tomb, so it doesn't have to be a mega-project. Just pick a time when there aren't any dwarves awaiting burial, set the tomb you want them in as the only one permitted for burial, unbuild their casket, and you should have them transferred in short order.

evillevi

• Bay Watcher
  • Love Boat murder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16076 on: November 11, 2011, 08:57:02 am »

What jobs pair well with the bookeeping skill
Love Boat murder

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16077 on: November 11, 2011, 09:10:24 am »

Doesn't really matter, since once the records are fully accurate the bookkeeper barely needs to do anything. I have fortress over half a century old where the sole bookkeeper is only Talented. Since bookkeeping is a high-priority task you want someone who doesn't have other skills you might want to use.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16078 on: November 11, 2011, 10:28:26 am »

something you use occasionally, shearing, milking, stuff like that. Not fishing or hunting, since it lets him/her run off for long times, smithing will soon take up too much of his time etc

some questions of my own:

if i put a ballista behind fortifications, will it still fire fine? if its elevated, will it still hit ground level troops without problems?

next
if I floor over my ground level, will the murky pools still refill as normal? I would guess not, since no rain gets there then
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16079 on: November 11, 2011, 10:37:16 am »

Siege engines fire through fortifications without a problem, but only on the same level.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."
Pages: 1 ... 1070 1071 [1072] 1073 1074 ... 1178