Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1069 1070 [1071] 1072 1073 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124346 times)

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16050 on: November 09, 2011, 06:28:54 pm »

I've read some old accounts of webbed cage traps catching dwarves, and there being no way to release the dwarves. Is this still true?

Yup. You can only release them by building the cages as buildings, (b-j, IIRC) connecting them to a lever, and pulling the lever, all before the dwarf dies of thirst, infection or starvation.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16051 on: November 09, 2011, 06:37:05 pm »

If I were to build a bridge, build chairs and tables, and then deconstruct the bridge, would I have an outdoor eating area?
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Kento

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma and magma accessories.
    • View Profile
    • Uglorable
« Reply #16052 on: November 09, 2011, 06:38:58 pm »

That doesn't sound -too- bad, though I suppose I'd have to be aware they were in a cage.

I'm supposing dwarves don't avoid pathing on webbed cage traps though? That it might make sense to mark them as forbidden?

dyllionaire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16053 on: November 09, 2011, 06:46:59 pm »

I've installed the Fortress Defense II mod, so I get a lot of combinations of invaders and hostiles on my map at the same time. I've never seen any of them engage each other, but I would have thought two nations that were warring wouldn't always unite against their common Dwarven foe. Do sieging and ambushing civs ever attack each other?

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16054 on: November 09, 2011, 06:59:36 pm »

I've installed the Fortress Defense II mod, so I get a lot of combinations of invaders and hostiles on my map at the same time. I've never seen any of them engage each other, but I would have thought two nations that were warring wouldn't always unite against their common Dwarven foe. Do sieging and ambushing civs ever attack each other?

Still waiting to see it personally, but civs that start out as trade partners and are attacked by the goblins/others will keep fighting them too, no matter what. So, say, you let the elven caravan be goblin'd one too many times, and they'll send an army thinking you responsible- but that army will also engage any goblins on the map.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

HarryFromMarydelDE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16055 on: November 09, 2011, 08:41:01 pm »

Is there an entry in announcements.txt that would allow me to pause the game whenever a job order is completed?

-Harry

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16056 on: November 09, 2011, 10:49:43 pm »

I've read some old accounts of webbed cage traps catching dwarves, and there being no way to release the dwarves. Is this still true?

Yup. You can only release them by building the cages as buildings, (b-j, IIRC) connecting them to a lever, and pulling the lever, all before the dwarf dies of thirst, infection or starvation.

Not just webs either...any type of stunning will cause them to set off cage traps, so a fall, being sent flying in combat, or fainting from the pain of an injury are all possible ways to get caged.

You can also let them out by building the cage and then unassigning the dwarf from the cage, but it's less reliable than hooking it up to a lever and having the lever pulled, since the "release an animal" job seems to have a fairly low priority. You still need to build the cage, either way.

On the other hand, when I needed to release a dwarf, the "release an animal" job did get performed just before I could order the lever pulled.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16057 on: November 09, 2011, 11:59:05 pm »

Is the cost of diagonal movement equal to the cost of orthogonal movement?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #16058 on: November 10, 2011, 04:35:24 am »

Yep. Even diagonally downwards or upwards.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16059 on: November 10, 2011, 05:25:29 am »

Sometimes they will fight, sometimes Boatmurdered happens ("I think they're starting their own little town in there, elephants and goblins living together in peace and harmony, joined only by burning hatred for dwarves.").
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #16060 on: November 10, 2011, 05:34:09 am »

Not according to Toady: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=1709.msg24055#msg24055
...movement uses standard euclidean distances when calculating times (ie, it root 2's the diagonal),...

Chezzik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16061 on: November 10, 2011, 09:51:34 am »

Quick question:

How do I place chests and cabinets?  They don't appear in the 'b' menu.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16062 on: November 10, 2011, 09:54:05 am »

How do I place chests and cabinets?  They don't appear in the 'b' menu.

Yes, they do.  To build a cabinet type (b), (f).  To build a container (chest, coffer, box, or bag) type (b), (h).
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Chezzik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16063 on: November 10, 2011, 11:11:57 am »

Yes, they do.  To build a cabinet type (b), (f).  To build a container (chest, coffer, box, or bag) type (b), (h).
Must have missed it.  Thanks!

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16064 on: November 10, 2011, 02:00:24 pm »

Is there an entry in announcements.txt that would allow me to pause the game whenever a job order is completed?

-Harry

I just looked through and didn't see anything that looks like it. I see CANCEL_JOB, but thats clearly not what you want. It seems like there ought to be one, since it gets announced.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.
Pages: 1 ... 1069 1070 [1071] 1072 1073 ... 1178