Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1068 1069 [1070] 1071 1072 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124363 times)

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16035 on: November 08, 2011, 03:46:52 pm »

z - screen, kitchen menu
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16036 on: November 08, 2011, 06:00:20 pm »

It looks like river, this lightblue wawes MOVES, but I can walk and stand on them.

It should be just the surface level (representing water running over rocks or in a shallow dip in the ground), but because the game has no way of handling water sources beyond 'place water-spewing tile here, try and limit where the result ends up', it has to have a z-level underneath to hold the water tiles that are the only things in the game that act like you'd expect water to act.

...That might have been a confusing explanation.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16037 on: November 09, 2011, 10:52:06 am »

Is there a way to set soldiers to wear something like "iron chain shirt" or "iron armor"? It looks to me like the materials option in the uniform screen only has leather and cloth?

EDIT: I just figured it out. The cursor just happened to be on a robe.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 02:13:29 pm by Zeebie »

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16038 on: November 09, 2011, 02:40:34 pm »

Question: do tame animals count when it's time to get the dorfs used to tragedy? I'm trying with a setup like this in the middle of my dining hall:

WNP

W is clear glass wall, P is locked clear glass portal, N is nest box with female egg-layer pastured.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16039 on: November 09, 2011, 02:47:46 pm »

Be aware that clear glass walls are not transparent.  Walls of any type block line-of-sight, even if they're made from clear glass.  The same is true for doors.  To let your dwarves see into the poultry murder chamber, you need to use windows.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16040 on: November 09, 2011, 02:55:49 pm »

Anyway, are windows (baby) cave crocodile proof?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 02:58:57 pm by Tirion »
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16041 on: November 09, 2011, 02:59:45 pm »

No, cave crocodiles are building-destroyers and will smash windows.  I'm not sure if their being tame turns off the building-destroyer behavior.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16042 on: November 09, 2011, 03:08:05 pm »

Well, it's !!SCIENCE!! time then :D

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16043 on: November 09, 2011, 03:23:50 pm »

Out of curiosity, why do pastured tame animals fight each other? I mean, it's great fun to watch - sometimes a hoof or ear gets chopped off and goes flying. It's spamming my reports, though, which can be dangerous, if not just annoying.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16044 on: November 09, 2011, 03:32:59 pm »

If there are too many animals crammed into a small space then they will start to lash out at one another. You can fix this by simply giving them more space.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16045 on: November 09, 2011, 04:45:56 pm »

It helps a lot to give them separate pastures, too...if you assign a lot of animals to one single pasture, they'll often all get dropped off in one corner, and they won't always spread out properly, leading to violence.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16046 on: November 09, 2011, 04:53:28 pm »

Quick question: do legendary skills rust?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16047 on: November 09, 2011, 05:10:36 pm »

Quick question: do legendary skills rust?
I believe so, however unless you have modded it to happen quicker, rust takes so long to happen that usually your dwarf does a job or two long before he ever drops down a level.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16048 on: November 09, 2011, 05:26:38 pm »

Question: do tame animals count when it's time to get the dorfs used to tragedy?

I'm not sure if they do. I set up a 3x3 room with a shaft going from the center, down 10 levels, to my dining hall. Then I pastured a few female dogs and a bunch of puppies there. Occasionally they'd fight and one would dodge into the pit, and I'd get an announcement about a puppy running into an obstacle and dying. I'd immediately go to the dining hall and look at the nearby dwarves' thoughts, and never saw the "has witnessed death" thought.

So I'm not at all sure that stray tame animals contribute to emotional hardening, and I suspect they don't. But I'm not sure they don't because I only saw a dozen or so incidents, and that wouldn't be enough to have much real effect. More science is needed.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Kento

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma and magma accessories.
    • View Profile
    • Uglorable
« Reply #16049 on: November 09, 2011, 06:25:20 pm »

I've read some old accounts of webbed cage traps catching dwarves, and there being no way to release the dwarves. Is this still true?
Pages: 1 ... 1068 1069 [1070] 1071 1072 ... 1178