Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1065 1066 [1067] 1068 1069 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124394 times)

timotheos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15990 on: November 05, 2011, 01:57:56 pm »

How do I sell plants to the caravans without selling the barrels they are in too?
I can do it for stuff in bins from the trade screen but I can't seem to find the menu to empty barrels.
I went a bit over board with the farms and am running out of wood for more barrels to put stuff in.
thanks

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15991 on: November 05, 2011, 02:16:13 pm »

I generate a world, and then (again, new guy, not wanting too much non-standard stuff) I do a search for a site with no aquifer, yes flux stone, and mult. metals both shallow and deep (n/a for all other settings). The machine runs happily, then displays the results - and I notice that frequently sites it shows as positive results don't actualy meet the criteria, even after looking at al possible spots in the given sector square. Is this a bug, or is it giving false positive for another reason, or is it as simple as the search site function doesn't work like I think it does?

For example - last search, it shows a positive result for the above settings (a green square on the large map), so I run over there to look at that map sector. A quick check, running my 3x3 embark spot over every possible square allowed on that spot (that shows as a positive search result) shows no flux anywhere at all. So how is this a positive result?
The search does not display everything that is present on the site, only some of the features.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #15992 on: November 05, 2011, 02:37:29 pm »

How do I sell plants to the caravans without selling the barrels they are in too?
I can do it for stuff in bins from the trade screen but I can't seem to find the menu to empty barrels.
I went a bit over board with the farms and am running out of wood for more barrels to put stuff in.
thanks
Instead of barrels you can use rock pots which are made at a craftdwarf's workshop.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15993 on: November 05, 2011, 03:31:37 pm »

I haven't done it myself, but I remember a recent thread on growing trees that said the answer was yes (and that it's yes for trees as well...surface trees were believed to require soil on the z-layer below them, but testing proved that to no longer be the case).
Which testing? They do need to have soil somewhere nearby underneath. I have a soil layer dug out for grazing, and on the layer above saplings and shrubs only grow on certain tiles. The furthest they are from a soil wall is two tiles across (and then the one level down).
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15994 on: November 05, 2011, 03:51:44 pm »

Now that anvils cost only 100 points and you can increase your number of embark points to 10000 in the worldgen parameters, there's no reason to skip it unless you do it on purpose.

I use the default worldgen points and do not take an anvil.  Instead I embark with two limonite blocks.  One for first carpenter and one for first mason.  Whether this brings me more early migrants or not, I do not know.  I read somewhere where first couple migrations are a fixed number. 

I just adapted this way of starting, so I don't have to read the missing anvil messages.  My reasoning is also, at some point, I'm gonna remove those two work stations, and move them underground.  And then at that time I use the two limonite to make steel pipe and steel screw, to pump a magma screw somewhere helpful.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15995 on: November 05, 2011, 04:55:18 pm »

I haven't done it myself, but I remember a recent thread on growing trees that said the answer was yes (and that it's yes for trees as well...surface trees were believed to require soil on the z-layer below them, but testing proved that to no longer be the case).
Which testing? They do need to have soil somewhere nearby underneath. I have a soil layer dug out for grazing, and on the layer above saplings and shrubs only grow on certain tiles. The furthest they are from a soil wall is two tiles across (and then the one level down).

It's in the tree farming thread, I'll refer you to Quietust's post in particular.

So, you've got a current location that suggests otherwise? I wonder what's going on, then. It's got to at least be more complicated than originally thought.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 04:58:55 pm by Grumbledwarfskin »

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15996 on: November 05, 2011, 05:33:53 pm »

My civ has no important leaders but it gives me a caravan every year. Will I ever be able to get a baron/count/duke/king, and will there be any downside to not having them?

Ferrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15997 on: November 05, 2011, 06:47:25 pm »

Okay, I read somewhere around here that you can assign uniforms to your civilians so they all wear decent clothing instead of cluttering things all over the place. How exactly do I do this? I couldn't find anything on the wiki about it.

Is there a workaround for dwarves leaving their clothes all over the place by the way?

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15998 on: November 05, 2011, 07:08:13 pm »

If you give them rooms of their own (you can just designate rooms and let the dwarves claim them), and put dressers/chests in those rooms, then they'll eventually move their clothes into them.

Edit: To make the civilians wear clothes, you draft them into the army, and assign them the type of clothing you want them to wear. You then leave the squad on the "inactive" (default) schedule, and don't give them a barracks, so they don't actually train.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 07:10:46 pm by Grumbledwarfskin »

Ferrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15999 on: November 05, 2011, 07:23:54 pm »

The emphasis here is on "eventually". Serves me right for seldom using individual bedrooms though.

I was afraid the uniform method would involve making loads of squads but I'll give it a try.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16000 on: November 05, 2011, 07:58:37 pm »

So, you've got a current location that suggests otherwise? I wonder what's going on, then. It's got to at least be more complicated than originally thought.
Spoilered for size.

Topside:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Layer beneath:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The trees around the wall were there before I dug out the layer underneath and haven't been cut since, but the general lack of shrubs and saplings in those untouched areas doesn't necessarily mean anything -- the caverns will eventually become just grazing fodder and mature trees if left alone long enough.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16001 on: November 06, 2011, 03:26:32 am »

The emphasis here is on "eventually". Serves me right for seldom using individual bedrooms though.

I was afraid the uniform method would involve making loads of squads but I'll give it a try.

Prepare for disappointment when you notice that this doesn't work for miners, woodcutters and hunters. They won't do their jobs with picks, axes or crossbows you assign them, and they'll change out of the uniforms you give them because apparently their tools are uniforms in their own right that override everything else.

It's seriously one of the most frustrating bugs in this game.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16002 on: November 06, 2011, 09:59:03 am »

Somebody has come up with a workaround, but I can't get it to work. I think the thing I'm missing is an active training barracks, but given the maturity of the fortress I'd rather I dwarves switch out of uniform occasionally than have to constantly drag them away from training when I want them to do anything at all. There's not much digging to be done at this point.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16003 on: November 06, 2011, 10:33:37 am »

Well, the last supposed workaround I tested didn't do shit, so it might be helpful if you explained the method that's on your mind. The miner I tried to equip did have barracks assigned but that didn't make him switch into his uniform. Stationing prompted him to do so, but he stripped and picked up another pick as soon as I put him on inactive and told him to dig.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 10:35:12 am by assimilateur »

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #16004 on: November 06, 2011, 12:03:38 pm »

I have a lot of 'friendlies' after reclaiming (Im using Fortress Defence mod) if i kill some do the rest automatically become hostile? or is there a certain criteria to becoming 'hostile'?
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears
Pages: 1 ... 1065 1066 [1067] 1068 1069 ... 1178