Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1064 1065 [1066] 1067 1068 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124391 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15975 on: November 04, 2011, 10:25:06 pm »

Is it a bug that often times barrels used for like food that I am assuming are empty from like a general initial stockpile when you split your food to its own stockpile those barrels don't get moved there and then they never get used. (I suspect they are empty cause otherwise I would assume they would be moved as some of the barrels did get moved)

To workaround I just have to remove the whole stockpile designation that they reside in, then they get moved to the right stockpile then I just recreate the stockpile it was in before.
It's not really a bug if the barrel aren't containing anything, since when the dwarves go to put things in them they will move them to the proper stockpile. Also another thing you can do that doesn't involve deleting your entire stockpile is to simply set the food stockpile to (t)ake from the other stockpile, in which case all of the things that it can hold (including any empty barrels designated for it) will get moved there.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

evillevi

• Bay Watcher
  • Love Boat murder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15976 on: November 04, 2011, 10:35:52 pm »

I'm a newb still but I have a question. I tried a few ways to handle refuse(atom smashing, lava flooding) but here I am thinking if there is a way throw refuse into a volcano (or anything for that matter). It will be a somewhat big project since I have yet to build a stair up said volcano. My question simply is how to get the dwarves to dump refuse into the mouth of a volcano.
Love Boat murder

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15977 on: November 04, 2011, 10:38:59 pm »

Designate a zone with the (i) key that contains the volcano and one square on the rim. Then toggle on garbage dump (I think it's (g), not sure though) and if that is your only garbage dump then dwarves will throw all of their refuse into it.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

evillevi

• Bay Watcher
  • Love Boat murder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15978 on: November 04, 2011, 10:44:15 pm »

Thanks man forgot about that I was planning to make a retractable bridge with a floor at the end, designate it as a stockpile and pull the lever when i am done. Not sure if it will work but hey this would still be fun
Love Boat murder

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15979 on: November 05, 2011, 02:30:27 am »

I remember a recent thread on growing trees that said the answer was yes

Wait, so trees can grow on paved floors and shit? I thought you were supposed to construct floors in your waterworks to stop exactly that.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15980 on: November 05, 2011, 02:45:44 am »

I remember a recent thread on growing trees that said the answer was yes
Wait, so trees can grow on paved floors and shit? I thought you were supposed to construct floors in your waterworks to stop exactly that.
Currently several studies by various players have shown that well it is possible to build functioning farm plots on muddied constructed floors, wild plant life and trees will not grow there. It is perfectly possible for wild plant growth to occur on muddied smoothed floors, but not muddied constructed floors.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15981 on: November 05, 2011, 03:25:35 am »

That's good to know. In my current fortress's waterworks I didn't bother with flooring and I expect that to bite me in the ass some day.

I also put a single fortification between my fortress and the cave sea, not knowing that this bug where water pushes something through fortifications hasn't been solved yet. I'm now surprised the fb that slipped through them stopped at my floodgates, as I thought they were supposed to be building destroyers.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15982 on: November 05, 2011, 07:04:57 am »

how is it you get woodcutters, hunters, miners to wear clothes once their old ones have worn out?

put them in a squad, give the squad a uniform, go through individual miners to select a specific pick to use?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15983 on: November 05, 2011, 07:08:21 am »

how is it you get woodcutters, hunters, miners to wear clothes once their old ones have worn out?

put them in a squad, give the squad a uniform, go through individual miners to select a specific pick to use?

It's been a while since I last tried this myself, but I've been told that this is impossible, even with surplus picks/whatever. As in, you can assign them anything you want, but as soon as they become inactive again they will get another tool and get rid of their clothes, since picks/axes/crossbows (as used for labor) are apparently a sort of uniform that overrides everything else.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15984 on: November 05, 2011, 07:13:01 am »

It's been a while since I last tried this myself, but I've been told that this is impossible, even with surplus picks/whatever. As in, you can assign them anything you want, but as soon as they become inactive again they will get another tool and get rid of their clothes, since picks/axes/crossbows (as used for labor) are apparently a sort of uniform that overrides everything else.

Yes, heard that sort of thing.

Thing is, I've also heard that assigning a specific pick to an individual miner would work. Or did in previous versions. Or something.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15985 on: November 05, 2011, 07:33:18 am »

Thing is, I've also heard that assigning a specific pick to an individual miner would work. Or did in previous versions. Or something.

I drafted a miner, assigned him steel chain mail and shit as his uniform, including an artifact bone pick as his weapon (so I knew when he picked up the right one), activated him and he flashed the pickup equipment job once. What he did was get rid of his masterwork steel pick and then he picked up an exceptional steel pick (so I again know he didn't pick up the same one again) and nothing else.

Thus it worked exactly as well as I expected, and for once I hoped I wasn't right.

EDIT:
While this was going on he stayed in the meeting hall with "soldier (cannot follow orders)" as his job and swapped picks a couple of times. Then I stationed him and he did pick up the uniform I gave him, including the recognizable pick I selected for him. Now I set his alert to inactive and he's still doing individual combat drill. We'll see how he responds to being told to dig.

ANOTHER EDIT:
He dug out what I designated while I wasn't watching, and guess what? He's back to walking around naked with just a steel pick in his hand.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 07:50:20 am by assimilateur »

jeffreyac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15986 on: November 05, 2011, 08:42:38 am »

I've been getting into the habit of embarking without an anvil, and just grabbing one from the first caravan in the fall (I've found that at my skill level, I rarely get smithing up and running before the first caravan arrives anyway, so it seemed like a better use of points to pick up a few more skills for the starting seven...)  Worked like a charm...

...except when it doesn't! Had a fort going pretty well, and lo and behold I gambled and lost - no anvils on the first caravan.

So:

a) Is this a bad idea - the no anvil embark? I confess, it still seems fairly safe; I've had dozens of starts and this is the first time I haven't seen one. Are the odds as good as they seem to see an anvil on the first caravan, or have I been lucky?

b) Is this an example of my inexperience - i.e. should I be working harder to get a forge up and running earlier than the 1 year point/first caravan arrival, meaning I should be taking that first anvil with me?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15987 on: November 05, 2011, 09:04:24 am »

Now that anvils cost only 100 points and you can increase your number of embark points to 10000 in the worldgen parameters, there's no reason to skip it unless you do it on purpose. As to how that will make your life harder, I don't think there's a difference. Unless you mod your game, virtually everything the game throws at you - especially early in a fortress - can be taken care of with traps.

That would be different if you modded goblins or whoever to siege your ass right from the start. Then you would presumably need to be able to forge weapons and armor early on, but even that is debatable.

jeffreyac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15988 on: November 05, 2011, 09:09:12 am »

K, cool, thanks. Speaking of embark and worldgen...

I generate a world, and then (again, new guy, not wanting too much non-standard stuff) I do a search for a site with no aquifer, yes flux stone, and mult. metals both shallow and deep (n/a for all other settings). The machine runs happily, then displays the results - and I notice that frequently sites it shows as positive results don't actualy meet the criteria, even after looking at al possible spots in the given sector square. Is this a bug, or is it giving false positive for another reason, or is it as simple as the search site function doesn't work like I think it does?

For example - last search, it shows a positive result for the above settings (a green square on the large map), so I run over there to look at that map sector. A quick check, running my 3x3 embark spot over every possible square allowed on that spot (that shows as a positive search result) shows no flux anywhere at all. So how is this a positive result?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 09:48:22 am by jeffreyac »

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15989 on: November 05, 2011, 09:49:26 am »

I'm not ruling out false positives as I don't have enough experience with this sort of thing, but one error you might be making is not looking at your biomes. As in, a site might encompass more than one biome; if it does, you can cycle through them by pressing F1, F2, etc.

EDIT: I'm now looking at the site finder myself and it doesn't seem like flux is shown at all. But I embarked and revealed the layers in dfhack and I do indeed have flux (marble). This suggests that flux doesn't show up properly where it lists deep metals, shallow metals, and so on, but it's still being properly searched for.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 09:55:05 am by assimilateur »
Pages: 1 ... 1064 1065 [1066] 1067 1068 ... 1178